Need to do something nice for my wife

BuckShotBill

Hi Everyone-

My lovely wife has just been the victim of a constructive dismissal. She was basically bullied into resigning from a company and position that she had held for 13 years. The situation brought her to tears when she realized what was happening. After being with the same company for that amount of time, I imagine she will be upset for a while.

I would like to do something nice for her, but I'm having a hard time thinking of something that sounds right. What do you do for someone who was forced from a company because of some shitty politics.

P.S. - She was working for a high end salon franchise in our area, so spa services would be in poor taste :frown5:

Thanks

I am not sure what you really mean by "do something for her", and this is something of a more general advice, but: change environment for a few weeks. Really, take two weeks and go hiking/couchsurfing around Europe or something. Seeing other people in other places totally disconnected from the usual has always done the trick for me, you come back with a different perspective on your own plight.

Candle light dinner.

Cook something. Prepare the table with flowers (the ones she likes) and stuff.

Cook her favorite dish/meal.

Take her out to the movies afterwards, listen to her music.

Make her feel special.

After all, she's your wife.

What does she like to do?

Trekking on nature? Sea life? Then go on some nice place of the sort.

Music? Concerts?

Something silly she always wanted to do but it is silly?

Taking a pet?

Difficult to say without clues :)

The only thing that you really need to do is show her that you support her 100%. Make sure that she knows that her job wasn't who she was and that just because that chapter has closed it only means that something better is coming down the pipeline.

Sometimes we jump to material belongings when what is really needed is emotional support.

Is there something around the house or otherwise that she does as part of her "chore load" that drives her crazy that you could just pick up? If you have kids, could you make sure to give her a couple of nights/weekends out that she could do what she wanted with? Does she like theater/music/dance? Is there a restaurant the two of you have been wanting to try?

The only thing that you really need to do is show her that you support her 100%. Make sure that she knows that her job wasn't who she was and that just because that chapter has closed it only means that something better is coming down the pipeline.

Sometimes we jump to material belongings when what is really needed is emotional support.

This. Love and support and understanding, and willingness to listen.

ETA: Of course, you may be already doing that. Or you might be feeling inadequate about what you are doing, or inarticulate, or unable to say comforting words, and want to show support some other way? Make sure she knows that you think she was treated unfairly, and as flrtwtrble said, tell her the job was not who she is. Give hugs - human touch can be so very comforting. :)

Good luck to her and to you as well, it's a shitty thing to happen. At one point in my career I was an in-house lawyer who had to deal with layoffs, and losing a job can be so emotionally painful

I am not sure what you really mean by "do something for her", and this is something of a more general advice, but: change environment for a few weeks. Really, take two weeks and go hiking/couchsurfing around Europe or something. Seeing other people in other places totally disconnected from the usual has always done the trick for me, you come back with a different perspective on your own plight.

This. Love and support and understanding, and willingness to listen.

ETA: Of course, you may be already doing that. Or you might be feeling inadequate about what you are doing, or inarticulate, or unable to say comforting words, and want to show support some other way? Make sure she knows that you think she was treated unfairly, and as flrtwtrble said, tell her the job was not who she is. Give hugs - human touch can be so very comforting. :)

Good luck to her and to you as well, it's a shitty thing to happen. At one point in my career I was an in-house lawyer who had to deal with layoffs, and losing a job can be so emotionally painful

both of these thoughtful comments along with the others are just the things a good husband should do...

...however

... And the oral sex. Double down on the oral sex.

:agree: ...a guaranteed winner, it is known...

I can't remember if this was the subject of another thread or not, but if she was the victim of a case of constructive dismissal, you could make a few phone calls to lawyers whose field of expertise this is.

Volunteer , (you and her) , for some community service, like a soup kitchen,

food pantry, or park cleaning if you enjoy the outdoors.

After so many years having the priviledge of

being gainfully employed, I'm sure she'd love an opportunity

to do something that is a change and also benefits

the unfortunate or sickly among us.

This is just an idea that may or not be for you/her.

But then again, it might be just the " outside the box " experience some might crave.

So I thought i'd throw the idea out there.

Archived