Biggest show failures over Seasons 1-4

Lord of Winterhell

As for the Jaime/Cersei sept scene, I think people are still putting their 21st century morals and prejudices onto it. This is westeros. And more importantly, this is a TV show.

If grrm says it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape. If alex graves says it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape. If NCW says it wasn't rape, it wasnt rape. If Lena Headey says it wasnt rape, it wasnt rape.

As for the Jaime/Cersei sept scene, I think people are still putting their 21st century morals and prejudices onto it. This is westeros. And more importantly, this is a TV show.

If grrm says it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape. If alex graves says it wasn't rape, it wasn't rape. If NCW says it wasn't rape, it wasnt rape. If Lena Headey says it wasnt rape, it wasnt rape.

How dare you?

lol disagree completely, what they did to Catelyn was way worse than those four, seriously how do Robb, Stannis, Asha, and Saint Tyrion even compare?

What did they do to Cat that was so terrible? I mean, sure, they turned her into a supporting character of the Robb and Talisa show, but may I remind you how they turned Stannis into a complete puppet with zero autonomy, how they dropped the whole Tysha angle in Tyrion's storyline, how they made Yara and the Ironborn run away from some dogs, or how they turned Robb into a selfish and stupid asshole?

People have a hard time admitting they were wrong. GRRM has done his best to not publicly undercut the foulings of Dave and Dan. He is holding the line in public and behind the scenes . . I am sure GRRM had choice words for them about the scene. There was BACKLASH and concern from HBO Brass. Also, is Graves directing any episodes this upcoming season? If not, then think about why.

That's not Internet, "Save our Girls" hype, that is legitimate questioning.

Dear god, this. We get it- some people here don't like the show. I don't know why we need thread after thread after thread about it.

I am sorry that you take it this way. I don't read these forums that much, I suck at using search function and I would really like to summarize main show failures in order to make a poll. I find it interesting, but I understand that not everybody has to think the same. To be clear, I love the show, and if you look at my other posts (those few I have), I always "defend" the show (I'd say I am among top 20% of book readers in terms of satisfaction with the show).

Anyway, thanks to everybody who contributed, I'll try to extract as much as possible and update my OP tomorrow.

Also, is Graves directing any episodes this upcoming season? If not, then think about why.

Graves had already announced he wasn't doing any episodes of the following season by the time that aired. It was too big a commitment.

You could you know just ignore the thread, im sure there are a few show praise threads around

Then we couldn't make fun of the crybabies that flock to these kind of threads every time it is made to post the same things over and over and over.

These things are failures, complete failures when the author GRRM has mentioned them. There are things Dave and Dan have tried that have worked and haven't worked. The same for every show in TV history.

Glad you can speak for everyone who watched it, they did have some failures, but most of this is definitely not classified as "failure" lol.

What did they do to Cat that was so terrible? I mean, sure, they turned her into a supporting character of the Robb and Talisa show, but may I remind you how they turned Stannis into a complete puppet with zero autonomy, how they dropped the whole Tysha angle in Tyrion's storyline, how they made Yara and the Ironborn run away from some dogs, or how they turned Robb into a selfish and stupid asshole?

The Tysha thing is the only one that comes close to making Cat a side character imo and good god that Jon Snow motherless child monologue was awful and it was like all of her season 3 screen time besides the red wedding but I dislike everything you mentioned obviously.

Doesn't make me feel better, it makes me laugh.

idk laughing usually makes me feel better :)

Glad you can speak for everyone who watched it, they did have some failures, but most of this is definitely not classified as "failure" lol.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/04/why-we-should-pretend-the-game-of-thrones-rape-scene-never-happened.html

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/04/21/george-r-r-martin-thrones-rape

My list would be too long, mostly the way they've portrayed characters that they don't seem to like vs. characters they do seem to like, the changes they make to them and their stories, that make them very different characters.

But as for the horrible sept scene, Benioff and Weiss don't seem to think it was consensual:

"You are right to be disturbed by it. I think it was a brutal scene... It felt to us when we were writing it like this is something the character was going to do at that moment. And It was a horrible thing to do."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfvVluNxujc at about 50:00

Benioff keeps saying that because Jaime pushed Bran out the window, he's "not a good guy" and thus they can add kinslaying and rape to his story. That's so simplistic, they are not the same events at all.

Jaime is the one who had to go away inside as a young Kingsguard because he wanted to help the queen while she was being raped and was told he couldn't, then remembered that when Brienne was repeatedly about to be raped, and risked his life trying to save her, then beheaded Pia's rapist and took her under his protection.

This is important, and meant something to readers, obviously, since there was such an outcry, and they just tossed it aside. And GRRM distanced himself from the show scene, he said the scene in the books was consensual.

Jamie rape scene in season 4. Gotta be the most disliked

Yeah, this. Half the people involved didn't seem to know what the hell they were going for with that scene, and the other half have been super vague and evasive about it.

Jaime's other random deviations of character, like throwing aside the white book to screw Cersei on the table and murdering his cousin in cold blood. Fucking hell D&D.

Stannis. The writers have mishandled this character on so many occasions. No one's suffered more from pointlessly altered, vilified scenes than this guy. Maybe Jaime.

The conclusion of Theon's S2 arc. I think he had one of the best storylines in that season, but it ended terribly. Laughably, but terribly. Cutting Reek from S2 was a bad idea from the start and the arc's conclusion was weaker because of it.

Whitewashing in general. I get that Tyrion and Dany are adored by the masses and D&D are ergo afraid to play up their flaws, but we're left with blander and weaker characters because of it.

A lack of ambiguity and a disregard for the history and mythos, which was referenced a little in S1 then dropped and forgotten. R+L=J will be hilarious if it's ever revealed in the show. "Who the fuck is Rhaegar?"

I've never liked prophecy as a plot device, but for better or worse it's important to ASoIaF. The show's House of the Undying, which should have drawn attention to the above and given more attentive viewers a signature and memorable scene to look back on and connect the dots with, was a missed opportunity and a failure.

No Lady Stoneheart. I can't believe they passed up a chance to bring that reveal to the screen. It could've translated wonderfully.

Making Halfhand a forgettable footnote rather than an important mentor. A recurring problem with minor characters.

"The Children." I still have nightmares of that godawful ending.

Taking away most of Loras's cool moments and just making him a promiscuous gay dude known only for being the promiscuous gay dude.

I liked seeing Ygritte and Emilia naked as much as much as the next guy but I'm not sure who they're trying to impress with all the contrived brothel/prostitute scenes at this point. The fourteen-year-olds who turn the sound down so their parents can't hear and jack off to it every Sunday?

Unfortunate miscasting, like poor Asha and Theon. Alfie justified it with a killer performance, but not so much Gemma... which admittedly might be down to writing poor material for her.

I don't know, I could go on. I wouldn't keep watching the show if I didn't still enjoy it, but why that is is starting to elude me.

For the characters:

1. Stannis. Poor guy, I also pity his fans (I myself am one in some way). Really unlucky for the book to be adapted by Stannis haters.

2. Jaime. Same as Stannis. D&D are constantly messing up his scenes and characterization for all 4 seasons, but at least in the first 3 seasons NCW's great acting hid that by acting as close to book Jaime as possible. Unfortunately in season 4 NCW as well stopped acting like book Jaime.

3. Cat. Reduced to a side cast. Oh, well...

4. Dany. Season 1 was great for her. Later, not so much.

5. Cersei. I am not sure that she is ruined, considering her character is intentionally completely different from the very beginning. But I can't get any sense from her character in the show, especially in season 4.

6. Asha. Just a miscast, I think.

7. Renly and Loras. They are gay. That's the only personality they have in the show.

Archived