How do we know that Daenerys is a Targaryen?

foreign675

I believe, in this massive, sprawling 4,000+ page (so far) carefully crafted tale, that the author has surprises in store. And I don't mean cheap shots.

If we use Lady Stoneheart as an example, it's only obvious on Monday morning. Going back, there are a few very subtle references, easily missed, but it all makes sense in retrospect. It was still a shocking moment, and I don't believe for a moment that a single person could have predicted UnCat from those scant "clues."

I think the same will happen for any future twists. We'll look back and find all the foreshadowing we want hidden here and there, and it will all make sense from a few subtle references.

Considering his use of foreshadowing as you point out, if a reader comes across something they believe is a subtle clue, such as the lemon tree, then there is absolutely zero harm in considering what that might mean. None of us will change the story, no matter what we believe or suspect or consider. Still no harm done in the end.

Uncat is no kind of parallel. Uncat is a horrible aspect of Cat's character, of her need for revenge stripped of all custom and tradition. GRRM spends three books setting that up, forcing Cat to watch from the sidelines as everything goes to hell, and everyone she loves dies. That she comes back as a zombie is a gotcha moment, but what she wants, and what she represents upon her pseudo resurrection is not.

The novel has set up Dany's pride in her parentage carefully. It sets up conversations, where Dany almost, but not quite, finds out about Aerys's character. If there is a gotcha moment, and if Dany turns out to be the daughter of Rhaegar instead, what of all those moments? They were put there to force Dany to learn something about her family, her heritage, herself. If Aerys is no longer her daddy, then all of that is gone.

There is no such precedent in these novels.

1. Please post these quotes

2. multiple? You mean 1 or 2? from people who do not live in Braavos and have never seen the palace grounds?

3. LOL good lord. There is fruit in every single region of Planetos

4. please post these quotes.

This is possibly the most ridiculous argument that has ever been on the internet.

1. No

2. Yeah so, that's pretty much everyone ever.

3. Who grows the kiwi, I love kiwi. Now look it's not like Oberyn Martell a Prince of Dorne could not have sailed there with a potted lemon tree and given it as a gift to the little princes. It is clearly impossible for that to happen.

4. No and you can't make me.

Secretly I actually hope she is the daughter of Leywn cause I don't like Aerys but more so because I can mess with the whole Jon and Dany incest thing. The enemy will have to move the goal post once more. Muahahaha, muahahaha.

Being a bastard doesn't change a character for me, I am Dornish like that.

one of the best living judges of her looks in terms similarity to other major characters is the B man of Selmy.

he only dismisses his own musings of her being ashara daynes daughter while looking at her because of the indisputable nature of the fact that she birthed a stillborn, a subsequently suicides her stricken self.

while the oldness and the boldness has things like eyesight, integrity, experience (of much/clear/close seeing of the relevant parties), sobriety, alertness and lucidity to recommend his opinion, he admits himself he is not suited to politics, intrigues and deceptions.

so he dismisses his idea out of hand, as the concept of the a dayne suicide story being untrue is inconceivable to him.

well, its not inconceivable to me, for myriad reasons, and a fairly popular opinion so far as i can tell of many posters here: that either or both parts of the stillborn/leap of grief tale are incorrect.

once the reason for its rejection is removed, how reliable is ser selmy's recollection?

sir sell me, of slavers bay. coincidence? probably.

Archived