Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Well Benjen has no Tully parents, so Bran thinking he is the boy momentarily and then realizing he wasn't doesn't necessarily mean the long hair was the only difference, just the first difference Bran noticed. I brought up that quote thinking there was a reference to Benjens looks but there really isn't. I would find it hard to believe Benjen is not described anywhere in AGOT.

Well Benjen has no Tully parents, so Bran thinking he is the boy momentarily and then realizing he wasn't doesn't necessarily mean the long hair was the only difference, just the first difference Bran noticed. I brought up that quote thinking there was a reference to Benjens looks but there really isn't. I would find it hard to believe Benjen is not described anywhere in AGOT.

IIRC, this is it.

His uncle was sharp-featured and gaunt as a mountain crag, but there was always a hint of laughter in his blue-grey eyes. He dressed in black, as befitted a man of the Night’s Watch. Tonight it was rich black velvet, with high leather boots and a wide belt with a silver buckle. A heavy silver chain was looped round his neck. Benjen watched Ghost with amusement as he ate his onion. “A very quiet wolf,” he observed.

I would assume "stark look" refers to the long-ish face, eyes and hair. I don't look like a carbon copy of my aunt, but people can generally tell we are from the same family due to shared characteristics. Craster has seen Benjen, so Benjen to him = Stark look. He thinks Jon has some similarity to Benjen's appearance so he guesses he is a Stark.

Craster is old enough to have met Rickard Stark's generation, possibly even the one before Rickard.

That's my line of thinking now, that he might have been South of the Wall and met some of the older Starks somehow. Alas we don't seem to have the information. I'll have a look in the WB during the week, maybe there's a little hidden nugget there somewhere.

It could very well be the case. It's just that I'm doing my first full reread since joining these forums and I guess I'm scrutinising everything!!!

Perhaps a little too much. Oh George, what have you made of me?

I say scrutinize away! If you see something you haven't seen before, post it in the Wow I never noticed that thread. Every oncenin a while we see something entirely new there.

Jaime was part of the Kingsguard when Robert named him Warden of The East, right? Aren't Kingsguard not allowed to hold titles/lands just like the Nights Watch?

This comes up every few months. There is no satisfactory answer but apparently that post was hereditary and the Ned believed that a Kingsguard could inherit that post.

Archived