Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

So if Dany wanted to fly back to Westeros on Drogon's back how long do you think she would take? :)

I'm trying to think of instances where we're given dragon travel times between locations. Aegon I made it from King's Landing to Dragonstone and was back by the next morning, but that's the only one that comes to mind.

^

Yeah I know about that but since I'm not good at maths I wanted someone to do the maths for me! :laugh:

Besides that, the dragons have different sizes, and speeds etc.

I just wanted to know what people think, more or less than a month?

Roundabout two books?

Haha! You may be right!

Question:

In Catelyn V from ACOK when she arrives at Riverrun she sees the banner of Darry. But we know that this housenis already extinguished at this time. So how could that be?

Probably some soldiers from Darry survived and joined Tully forces in Riverrun.

"Marei was a cool, pale, delicate girl Tyrion had noticed once or twice. Green eyes and porcelain skin, long straight silvery hair, very lovely, but too solemn by half."

Tyrion, about a whore in Chataya's.

She sounds very much like a Targ bastard. Did Aerys know about the secret tunnel perhaps? I know he took many mistresses (but the WB says no more after 275 but there's also no indication of age for Marei) but did he frequent the brothels of Kings Landing?

Rhaegars bastard maybe?

ETA: It also says that she's teaching some of the other girls to read so she also has some education.

"Marei was a cool, pale, delicate girl Tyrion had noticed once or twice. Green eyes and porcelain skin, long straight silvery hair, very lovely, but too solemn by half."

Tyrion, about a whore in Chataya's.

She sounds very much like a Targ bastard. Did Aerys know about the secret tunnel perhaps? I know he took many mistresses (but the WB says no more after 275 but there's also no indication of age for Marei) but did he frequent the brothels of Kings Landing?

Rhaegars bastard maybe?

ETA: It also says that she's teaching some of the other girls to read so she also has some education.

Marei was born before Alayaya, so 280 AC or the years before that.

Marei doesn't sound like a Targaryen necessarily, she sounds slightly Lynesi.. exotic, and that would be completely in line with what an expensive brothal would like to offer

Marei was born before Alayaya, so 280 AC or the years before that.

Marei doesn't sound like a Targaryen necessarily, she sounds slightly Lynesi.. exotic, and that would be completely in line with what an expensive brothal would like to offer

Yeah, of cousrse she could be a seed, hell anyone could be a seed in this book but if the George really wanted us to think that her eyes would be puprple or at least dark blue, no? Tyrion suggested Oberyn should... um... retain her services after the viper was talking about how much he wanted to share Cersei with his randy wench, so maybe she favors Lannoster looks. And wasn't Tywin the Hand who used that secret passage to Chataya's?

Yeah, of cousrse she could be a seed, hell anyone could be a seed in this book but if the George really wanted us to think that her eyes would be puprple or at least dark blue, no? Tyrion suggested Oberyn should... um... retain her services after the viper was talking about how much he wanted to share Cersei with his randy wench, so maybe she favors Lannoster looks. And wasn't Tywin the Hand who used that secret passage to Chataya's?

Tywin is indeed most often suspected. I agree that if she was supposed to be a seed, that her description would have been different.

Tywin is indeed most often suspected. I agree that if she was supposed to be a seed, that her description would have been different.

:agree:

The only "hint" is Marei's silver hair, which isn't even specifically Targaryen characteristic, but Valyrian one.

Either way, I don't think it matters. It doesn't seem that Marei will appear more in a story, or somehow be important in any way to the plot.

How exactly did Jon and Stan track down Gendry?

Working backwards. They each or both know what Edric Storm and Mya Stone look like. They learn that Robert had Barra. They see Barra. Then they ask Varys, "do you know of any other bastards of Robert's?"

Before RumHam's post I thought of Jon Snow and Stannis at the Wall and didn't understand the question...

I'm gonna go ahead and blame Varys? That is assuming Varys was the mystery man who paid his apprentice fee.

I'd rather say Littlefinger. Varys protected Gendry when he placed him with Tobho Mott, why would he expose him? My theory in short : when Lysa learned Jon Arryn wanted to separate her from her son, Littlefinger saw she would agree to kill her husband, so he could launch his plan to gain power by creating chaos. I believe he's the one who tipped Stannis on the twincest, told him to find Robert's bastards and pointed to Gendry, knowing that Stannis would seek Jon's help. In AGOT, it's the stableboy turned watchman who said Jon Arryn visited Tobho Mott, and Littlefinger who pointed the stableboy to Ned.

I'd rather say Littlefinger. Varys protected Gendry when he placed him with Tobho Mott, why would he expose him? My theory in short : when Lysa learned Jon Arryn wanted to separate her from her son, Littlefinger saw she would agree to kill her husband, so he could launch his plan to gain power by creating chaos. I believe he's the one who tipped Stannis on the twincest, told him to find Robert's bastards and pointed to Gendry, knowing that Stannis would seek Jon's help. In AGOT, it's the stableboy turned watchman who said Jon Arryn visited Tobho Mott, and Littlefinger who pointed the stableboy to Ned.

That does make more sense. Varys was probably just storing him so he'd have a bastard of Roberts who looked just like him up his sleeve.

I thought we had a really good discussion about it on the scond page of this thread here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/106419-stannis-flight-to-dragonstone/page-2

BTW I don't think Varys pointed Stannis toward Gendry. Varys was waiting for the right time (ie when Aegon was ready) to allow Cersei to whack Robert, and then he woulda paraded the bastards about to foster a succession crisis. As Illyrio told Varys well after Jon's assassination, they were not ready yet.

I thought we had a really good discussion about it on the scond page of this thread here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/106419-stannis-flight-to-dragonstone/page-2

Very interesting thread indeed, and I particularly agree with you here :

We know Petyr had Lysa kill Jon Arryn. Why? There is no suggestion that Petyr had any reason to fear Jon. Apparently Jon was blissfully unaware of Petyr's boast that he had bedded both Tully girls at Riverrun. Since Stannis and Robert knew that Petyr was corrupt, Jon Arryn must have known too, but since Robert tolerated it, Jon probably did too. So Petyr was not reacting to a threat. He had some proactive motive. We know he didn't desire Lysa. He was using her to gain favor from Jon. So why remove Jon? Jon held three titles, Hand of the King, Warden of the East & Lord of the Eriye to which all the lords of Mountain and Vale were sworn. So, Petyr must have been trying to create a void which he could have filled. We know that Petyr could not hope to succeed to Lord Consort of the Eyrie, at least at that time...

No, it seems more likely that Littlefinger had Lysa kill Jon Arryn to draw the Ned to King's Landing where he could have him killed and cause a war between the Lannisters and the Starks/Tullys & possibly the Baratheons, which would give him the chaos he sought. That Robert would appoint the Ned was a reasonable assumption.

I'll just add that I think it's Lysa learning Jon wanted to foster Robert with Stannis when Jon refused Walder Frey's offer that triggered Petyr's plans, making them possible with Lysa agreeing to kill Jon. That's what I tried to say here :

For me, LF plan was always to rule the Vale by wedding Lysa and then killing her. Being lowborn, wedding Lysa was impossible, so he had to gain a lordship : he did so by becoming Lord of Harrenhal. How could he win such a high seat ? By being rewarded for providing a great help during wartime. He did so by rallying the Tyrells to the Lannisters, leading to saving King's Landing from Stannis. But there was no war when the books begin, Robert has been king for fifteen years, how can LF provoke one ? By pushing Cersei to kill Robert before he learned about the twincest. And how could he achieve that ? By having Ned replace Jon Arryn, and by telling him the Lannisters were responsible, and by leading him to learn the twincest. And how could Jon Arryn be killed ? By having his wife murder him because he wanted to separate her from her son. And that's exactly what happens at the beginning of the saga. When Jon Arryn chooses to foster Robert with Stannis, all the pieces are at last in place for LF's plan to unfold.

Archived