Small Questions v. 10097

Rhaenys_Targaryen

So....new here and my first post but, can heirs be passed over,like the oldest son doesn't inherent but the youngest son does?

Depends on the circumstances, it can happen.

Randyll Tarly considered Sam a weak Lord-to-be. He sent him to the Wall so he would "legally" give up all of his claims and rights and his younger (and better) brother was the heir instead. Duncan the Small willingly gave up his inheritance and his next brother Jaehaerys was then the heir of the throne. And Tyrion had rights to inherit Casterly Rock that Tywin denied him.

I think, legally, yes, a son can be passed over. The problem is that, if the son was never on agreement, he can always rebel and war his brother for his rights. Such man can find a lot of support from Lords who wouldn't want a precedent being set.

Depends on the circumstances, it can happen.

Randyll Tarly considered Sam a weak Lord-to-be. He sent him to the Wall so he would "legally" give up all of his claims and rights and his younger (and better) brother was the heir instead. Duncan the Small willingly gave up his inheritance and his next brother Jaehaerys was then the heir of the throne. And Tyrion had rights to inherit Casterly Rock that Tywin denied him.

I think, legally, yes, a son can be passed over. The problem is that, if the son was never on agreement, he can always rebel and war his brother for his rights. Such man can find a lot of support from Lords who wouldn't want a precedent being set.

War might npt be necessary. The heir could take his grievance to the overlord or king.

Nobody's gonna read that FAQ.

Probably [emoji14]

So....new here and my first post but, can heirs be passed over,like the oldest son doesn't inherent but the youngest son does?

Welcome!

It would appear so, though it will give quite a lot or problems. Walder Frey threatens with naming his youngest child heir over all the others. Arianne Martell believed that her father is willing to name her younger brother heir over her.

But doing so will yield a lot of troubles, possibly. In Arianne's case, should it really have occured, there would have been fighting in Dorne. In Walders case, there most likely would have been fighting the second he died.

Naming another child then your eldest (son) is thus an extremely rare occurance.

This has probably been discussed before. If everyone in the line of sucession to the throne dies who gets the throne then? Will it be created a council who appoints a new monarch ?

It goes all up the line of dead monarchs to find any branch that has a living candidate. Then, probably a council is needed to determine who will be the new king. The one closest to Aegon I - The Conqueror? The one closest to the last living monarch? The one giving out the greatest presents? The one with the army at my door? etc.

eta: the one who marries my daughter...

It goes all up the line of dead monarchs to find any branch that has a living candidate. Then, probably a council is needed to determine who will be the new king. The one closest to Aegon I - The Conqueror? The one closest to the last living monarch? The one giving out the greatest presents? The one with the army at my door? etc.

eta: the one who marries my daughter...

During 300 years of living in Westeros Targs married into many houses, later descendants of those married into other houses... almost every noble in some regions has some Targaryen ancestors and some claim to the throne... ( like there are more than 4000 people in line of succesion to the British crown ).

The claimant with more supporters, money and soldiers would most likely win. Or Great Council would gather and some form of election would take place.... ( like in Poland after death of king Sigismund II Augustus of House Jagiellon, the nobility gathered https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_elections_in_Poland and chose new king )

Whats the matter with Sandor Clegane's left ear? From the beginning we are told that he lost it as a child due to the burning, but in ACOK Tyrion notices that he lost his ear during the Battle of the Blackwater?

I don't recall that. Can you provide a quote?

okay thats a fair enouh answer haha another question, how could house Mormont afford longclaw? they are decribed as a poor house due to having no natural resrouces on the island, was it gifted to them? won, stollen? any ideas

Probably they won it in some war.

Archived