How did you find and become inculcated into the "Miscellaneous" (south board) community?

Ser Scot A Ellison

After about 1,500 posts in the Books section, I got tired of the same old same old, and especially got tired of the flame wars, so I started looking at Gen Chat threads. But I was terrified of the frightening monsters that lurked there, and would go hide in the Games Forum for long stretches of time. Make a mistake and the wolves ripped you to pieces. :bawl:

Love of poetry + music + ASOIAF created a wonderful group of friends hanging out in the Rhymes threads, as did TTTNE, and gave me the confidence to post here.

I washed in on the first Floob wave, about the same time as the San-sans - remember them?.

I got tired of the book threads pretty soon, once I got over the shock of R+L=J being a thing. I retreated to TTTNE and ventured shyly into GenChat to wish people Happy Birthday.

I can't remember how I got here. More disturbingly, I have no idea how to get out.

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and second hall. Frar and Loni and Nali fell there… Five days ago… The pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Oin. We cannot get out. The end comes… drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.”

I got overly excited when I first joined this forum and pretty much spammed the book section for a good month or so before I ventured down here and quickly realized there was just something about this place...a high concentration of smart, funny, genuinely cool people unlike most areas of the internet I'd been on before and I really enjoyed the threads I saw here and I was so bored with the book section so when I ended up here I sort of never left. :leaving:

After spending some time in the book threads and realizing there was a lot of repetition, as well as an unfortunate bit of Necromancy because of a misunderstanding in how things worked, I just sort of ended up here.

ETA: Oddly though there's still a fair bit of repetition in gen chat, it's just more entertaining to watch people debate libertarianism than another thread on Jon snow's parentage or whatever.

I started down here and I only really drifted up a couple of times. I discovered the forum looking for Abercrombie theories and the Lit board is the single best fantasy board I had found after getting bored with several others. My first five hundred posts or so were all there. Then I kept a watch on the GenChat and very occasionally the Entertainment threads.

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and second hall. Frar and Loni and Nali fell there… Five days ago… The pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Oin. We cannot get out. The end comes… drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.”

:bowdown:

We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and second hall. Frar and Loni and Nali fell there Five days ago The pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Oin. We cannot get out. The end comes drums, drums in the deep. They are coming.

Nerd.

GenAsoiaf was tolerable ,until everybody woke up one day and decided that they want to connect with their inner comedian. Thus began the super annoying trend of making joke threads, making threads about the said joke threads, and worst of all, spoof threads about joke threads.

Oh. Are we like "Brokeback Mountain", now, darling?

It **is** the love that dare not speak its name - mainly because my friends and family think I'm crazy when I try to tell them about this board. :blush:

GenAsoiaf was tolerable ,until everybody woke up one day and decided that they want to connect with their inner comedian. Thus began the super annoying trend of making joke threads, making threads about the said joke threads, and worst of all, spoof threads about joke threads.

Wrong thread. This should be in the Annoying Things thread. :D

It **is** the love that dare not speak its name - mainly because my friends and family think I'm crazy when I try to tell them about this board. :blush:

When my daughter found out I'm into this board, her response was ' act your age ' and 'this doesn't suit you'. Because I'm a middle aged man , and this isn't what I should be doing.

When my daughter found out I'm into this board, her response was ' act your age ' and 'this doesn't suit you'. Because I'm a middle aged man , and this isn't what I should be doing.

Really? Cause that's pretty much the reaction I got when I tried telling my friends about this board when I was a teenager. I wonder then what is the appropriate age for this forum.

It probably took me two years of book threads before I noticed that "misc" was there and much more active than the book threads. I had no idea.

The tragedy is that now I feel I know people from Gen Chat but there is no way to reverse it and take these people back to the book forums. ToL and I have never had a conversation about the Hound and I feel the poorer for it. What does solo think of Varys? I have no idea.

Once you go Gen Chat there's no going back and it's a shame because if we could filter out all the riff raff, the Gen Chatters could have some great book threads. Oh well.

ToL has mixed feelings about the Hound, and secretly believes that solo is curious about Varys' intentions and believes he has a major part to play in the remaining books, but mostly wants to distance himself from the faction of the board who believe that he eats cats and is actually Alf from the television show Alf. solo is, in fact, curious about Varys' intentions and believes he has a major part to play in the remaining books, wants desperately to distance himself from the faction of the board who have figured out that he eats cats and is actually Alf from the television show Alf, and bases much of his faith in humanity on his belief that ToL has mixed feelings about the Hound.

I was lured by the promise of international political discussions. Then I realised I would not touch these politics threads with a stick, but by then I had posted in a spoof thread and, like Persephone and the pomegranate seeds, was doomed to remain.

ToL has mixed feelings about the Hound, and secretly believes that solo is curious about Varys' intentions and believes he has a major part to play in the remaining books, but mostly wants to distance himself from the faction of the board who believe that he eats cats and is actually Alf from the television show Alf. solo is, in fact, curious about Varys' intentions and believes he has a major part to play in the remaining books, wants desperately to distance himself from the faction of the board who have figured out that he eats cats and is actually Alf from the television show Alf, and bases much of his faith in humanity on his belief that ToL has mixed feelings about the Hound.

Sorry, but I don't give a shit about the Hound.

:dunno:

Archived