How did you find and become inculcated into the "Miscellaneous" (south board) community?

Ser Scot A Ellison

After about 1,500 posts in the Books section, I got tired of the same old same old, and especially got tired of the flame wars, so I started looking at Gen Chat threads. But I was terrified of the frightening monsters that lurked there, and would go hide in the Games Forum for long stretches of time. Make a mistake and the wolves ripped you to pieces. :bawl:

Love of poetry + music + ASOIAF created a wonderful group of friends hanging out in the Rhymes threads, as did TTTNE, and gave me the confidence to post here.

Came down here to distance myself from the fervor of conspiracy theories and assorted idiocy in the Gen ASOIAF forum. Mostly stay in the Entertainment and Forum Games section, making only occasional ventures into here.

I read all the existing books in Ice and Fire, then found the board. I read the posts in Book Discussion until they got repetitive and weird, then I started reading the Lit section to find other good book recs. Then it was peeking into Gen Chat, and finding interesting, smart people with interesting ideas in here. That's the (boring) story.

Just got bored with the same old same old book discussions and gen chat was always good for a laugh. I mostly lurked and posted very infrequently until mafia was introduced to the board. I played a lot of that and since I was here anyway ... I just started posting more. This was before the games forum was split out, of course.

Thanks for starting this Scot, because I didn't want to continue the digression in the Ukraine thread.

Joined after AFFC. Started in book forums, got to a few hundred posts, got tired of the same discussions over and over again. Observed Gen Chat and Entertainment for a while before sticking my toe in -- I could tell pretty quickly it was a tight community and that there was generally a high standard expected if one were hoping to achieve respect. Eventually I just abandoned the book threads completely. I'm kind of surprised I didn't at least try out the book threads again after ADWD came out since there was fresh material to discuss. Don't know what to make of it.

Back when we had to hand paint our posts on the walls of caves in Gaul, I had a super boring job that gave me lots of downtime. So I exhausted all the interesting book threads pretty quickly and then migrated to the General cave wall out of need for additional stimulus.

You can judge my job satisfaction over the years by my posts in this thread.

Accidentally created thread here instead of book sections while intoxicated re: medieval weapons experts. Was so entertaining this fl00b never left.

Hah, I remember that... I think that was the thread I decided this place might just be alright

Eta: so yeah, I guess what I'm saying is... Blame Larry

My first year was in Gen. ASoIaF. But how many times can I see a thread about the strength of the major houses? I leave that to Free Northman and Bright Blue Eyes, who have interesting posts. The same with Sansa defenders, Cat haters, and the elementary comment that Ned was dumb and naive. Not to mention the dreaded Northern Conspiracy and symbolism threads.

I stay here now. Do a lot more reading of posts than actual posting and I can say that Gen Chat has kept me abreast of news stories.

Until good threads are started I'll stay away from the Gen ASoIaF section. And now I'm giving a special shout out to Bronn Urgandy, who has started some hilarious threads about Davos, Slynt, and other "misunderstood" characters.

I first started looking at the Lit forum for book recommendations. Later one of my forum buddies would talk about the games forum and I'd check in but just didn't get it. I came to Gen Chat because some of my other forum buddies would send links to threads here with commentary like "omg, these people are smug, elitist, somewhat idiotic assholes." It became interesting to read.

This is the first and only forum that I've ever participated on and I like the friendships I've cultivated with others on here over the years. Until there is new ASOIAF material, I don't really have anything else to talk about with the books. So I come here or the Entertainment forum just to remain connected with these forum friends. Reading Gen Chat is still, uh, interesting.

Archived