How did you find and become inculcated into the "Miscellaneous" (south board) community?

Ser Scot A Ellison

Thank you Scot for fixing your title.

I wanted to give a serious answer but I honestly can't remember how I got here. I DO know that I never cared for the book threads. Never read them or posted in them.

I lurked a long time, I can't... ohhhhh I remember now!

I was a lurker for a couple of years at least, and then NHAW came around again. I was newly single, probably drunk and I posted my pic. This was before NHAW was FG'd. After I did that, I felt safe to post anything. I was really heavy on the emoticons though.

I admit, I became a serious TTTNE-er after that. I spent a lot of time in FG.

Then I drunk chatted a lot... when chat used to be fun... got to know some people and here I am... back to lurking mostly. :P

I don't think I had more than 10 posts in any of the other sub-threads, like someone mentioned upthread, I started in general chat and the entertainment section and haven't really ventured anywhere else. The topics are just more interesting.

Edit: I remember the one time I recently went into one of the threads discussing the show, within about 5-6 posts, someone was commenting on my 'self esteem' issues. Yeah, not going back to that again.

I'd posted on various other forums around the net for a while but I wanted someplace to talk about books, and although I like the Malazan boards they're not very fast. And the lit board here seemed like the best option. After that I just sort of slowly branched out into the other two Miscellaneous threads (Forum Games doesn't count).

Never really ventured north of the wall myself, except for the occasional glimpse over the parapet.

Like I said in the Ukraine thread, it's just completely normal evolution of every forum that exists long enough. I'm a member of a certain forum since 2002. On that forum every single user today (apart from occasional newcomers) posts only in the section which corresponds to this board's Miscellaneous. Nothing surprising at all.

Spelling.

Like most people I got bored with the ASOIAF forum within a few months and when I had too much time on my hands, I started exploring other parts of the board. Stopped in Forum Games, where I make the majority of my posts. In GenChat, I read more than I post.

GenAsoiaf was tolerable ,until everybody woke up one day and decided that they want to connect with their inner comedian. Thus began the super annoying trend of making joke threads, making threads about the said joke threads, and worst of all, spoof threads about joke threads.

Wait ... you think these things do not happen in GenChat? ;)

"And you may ask yourself, how did I get here?

Letting the days go by,

Letting Gen Chat hold me down"

My first foray, I think, was into the US politics thread. I didn't lurk long before posting, it's a subject that interests me and I couldn't resist.

I like the mix of extremely heavy political/ethical discussions, ludicrous philosophical subjects (which can't not exist as nothing, as far as I'm concerned), and irreverent humor down here. It makes for some good reading, and many of the regulars are very amusing.

Id also like to take some of the OGs to the Gen ASoIaF secton. I know Ser Scot wanders over there from time to time. And mods like Mormont get involved also.

I get the feeling though, that Shryke wouldn't give a shit whether "hold Riverrun" was literal or too vague.

I hung out in the book forums for about 2 years, occasionally reading and posting in Entertainment and in the games section.

I didn't really understand why people posted in GenChat until I started reading the threads here and found out that you're all really rather funny and interesting. :)

Mine was an incredibably long and arduous journey.

Beginning along the coastal area of Eritrea.

I was struggling in a subsistent lifestyle,

pretty much beachcombing and providing meager rations

of clams and fish to support my mother (Lucy).

When I said to myself "Wonder what it's like on the other side of that

water?"

And so my trek began, hopping from sand bar to sand bar,

eventually clinging to driftwood and fighting the water current.

But I made it,

I made it and never looked back.

http://youtu.be/Cd9sjZNfRCk

I have a much longer history with the board than when I started posting. I started reading the series right when ASoS was released, and started checking GRRM's website frequently to see when the next book would be released, and what he had to say about things. He posted a link to the old EZ boards and I would jump over there from time to time to read people's thoughts.

I was going to start contributing, but there became a split in the fandom with those who were frustrated about the wait between books, and those that rightly told people to shut the hell up about it. Unfortunately, as I am a spoiled and entitled brat, I didn't think I could refrain from discussion about my frustration and hence never signed up. I was going to do so when Feast was delivered, but since it was published as "half" the story, it left me even more outraged and entitled. When ADwD was about two weeks from dropping, I finally signed up and started contributing.

My migration south happened fairly early on as I quickly realized that there is only so much to say about the books and there is a whole world of ideas to communicate with people who were of like mind and intelligent. I miss those people now... (just joshing... you guys are great.)

Wrong thread. This should be in the Annoying Things thread. :D

:) It really should be. My bad.

Really? Cause that's pretty much the reaction I got when I tried telling my friends about this board when I was a teenager. I wonder then what is the appropriate age for this forum.

She actually feels awkward about me being into Internet. Maybe she thinks I'm trying to be too cool ? It's a good thing I haven't told her I see Japanese anime too. She won't approve that , because she's into them too and I have practically seen all the shows she has

Wait ... you think these things do not happen in GenChat? ;)

So mermaid tails thread isn't about something intelligent ?

Archived