Pirates of the Caribbean is the only saga that deserves to be compared to GoT

Pilusmagnus

Nowadays, it seems that every series/film/flick/thing that has either magic, dragons, politics, betrayals, "non-manichean" characters, medieval stuff or main characters dying in them are compared to Game of Thrones. It is somewhat, I'm sure, a commercial process. It is extremely selling to say "Look, this is like Game of Thrones but with pirates/politicians/actually historical characters."

So recently I've re-watched Pirates of the Caribbean, and I feel like if there's a work of fiction that really deserves to be compared to Game of Thrones in this beginning of a century, it certainly is Pirates of the Caribbean. House of Cards may have politics, Breaking Bad may have gray characters, some other things may have betrayals and shit, but I think Pirates is really really close to GoT in its core and themes and moral subversiveness and fantastical environment.

Both universes are both deeply down-to-earth and extremely mixed with magical elements. Its characters are both very cynical and outright heroic. Magical elements are treated with either disbelief or extreme seriousness by the characters; because they actually reflect something that is really human.

Also, both stories are highly subversive from a moral point of view, and lead us to question our principles and to root for morally questionable characters. Most of the Pirates viewership support Jack Sparrow, the man who sent the whole crew of the HMS Dauntless to their graves at the end of film one, just as most of the GoT viewership support Tyrion, who willingly armed tribes of rebel savages who harrass, rob and murder innocent civilians.

So both pieces of work are extremely intelligent in the philosophical reasoning they bring forward and very similar in the way that they do it.

And finally, something that had not really stricken me until now : Pirates is EXTREMELY violent. Sure, it's a disneyfied kind of violence, and it is safe for kids cause you don't see lots of blood or such things. But just look how many innocent people are killed in these movies. How little the characters care when they kill people. We're talking actual pirates here. I now recall that some scenes really disturbed me as a kid. Pirates is deeply violent and brutal in the way it portrays human behaviour.

So if we're really looking to compare stuff, or if we want a kid-version of GoT, there we have it.

To be fair, they have very similar source material. GOT is based of one of the top two series in fantasy literature history.

POTC is based of a theme park ride.

Dany is more of a primary protagonist than Tyrion.

And Dany does not have questionable moral??

A lot of people on this forum are irrationally dismissive of Game of Thrones. Pirates 1 was pretty good too.

After the shine has worn off it's easier to go to dismissive rather than still accept it's an impressive work just not something one is enamored with any longer.

Probably not right, but an easy trap to fall into.

• 2 weeks later...

Any James Norrington's fans here? He is my favourite PotC and Disney character. He is not standard Disney's clichè villlain , he is one of few realistic and greyish Disney's characters. And has an epic death. "Do you fear death James Norrington? "

Archived