What religion are you?

Bendubz

Non-religious agnostic, I suppose. Sometimes I veer into anti-religious, but only rarely, and never actively.

Could there be a higher intelligence that fine-tuned all the rules 13,7 billion years ago? Sure, could be. No way to tell, at least for now.

Would this higher intelligence care if I had premarital sex (with condoms) on a "holy day" while drinking booze and eating pork and/or shellfish? No, I don't believe so.

There was a time before humans. There will be a time after us. The universe doesn't care, and I for one am happier for it.

Agnostic atheist.

On the topic of science not knowing everything, I leave it to Dara Obriain:

"Science knows it doesn't know everything. Otherwise, it'd stop".

I prefer Neil DeGrasse Tyson's that goes along the lines of:

"Is that how you would like to define God? As an ever-decreasing collection of things we don't know?"

I prefer Neil DeGrasse Tyson's that goes along the lines of:

"Is that how you would like to define God? As an ever-decreasing collection of things we don't know?"

That is pretty good. I had not seen it before. ;)

That is pretty good. I had not seen it before. ;)

I think it was in his response to Bill O'Riley.

I'm quite certain the quote i stated is not 100% accurate, but it got the point across.

Misconception.

Also, calm down, no one said anything about requirements....even when we've just started a conversation you annoy me.

Thanks, this helped a bit :D

He said he's an atheist, but he has no problem with most religious people, and you said that would make him agnostic, thus saying you need to have a problem with most religious people to be an atheist.

Wouldn't that make you agnostic ?

As I understand it, agnostics profess uncertainty about whether there is a god/afterlife or not. I don't feel uncertain in that regard, at all. Based on everything I've seen or heard, I firmly believe that there isn't a god or gods or afterlife, which, makes me an atheist. Obviously, if there ends up being hard, incontrovertible, proof to the contrary, I'd change my belief structure to accomodate the new data.

As for not liking religions, but getting along fine with most religious people, it goes like this: I view religions as relics of our primitive past, and not useful/necessary/desired for mankind going forward. I'm completely fine with religious individuals as long as they don't cram their specific brand of delusion down my throat, don't fuck with separation of church and state, don't hinder societies progress because of their beliefs, and most importantly, they don't try to kill/imprison/discriminate against me because I'm a godless heathen.

He said he's an atheist, but he has no problem with most religious people, and you said that would make him agnostic, thus saying you need to have a problem with most religious people to be an atheist.

Wow, get over it, she made a mistake, big deal.

Not religious. Agnostic Atheist would best describe my feelings towards deism.

I can't speak for all religions but the ones I know anything about have teachings that to me go against ethical and moral decency.

I personally feel Humanism as a concept offers the best basis upon which to form a decent sense of morals and ethics. It should be based around human rights in my opinion.

I respect Buddhism as a concept, but know little about it and am not keen on the ritualistic nature of it.

As I said before, misconception on my part. I don't want to be rude so that's all I'm going to say about it, I really don't like talking to you and this group conversation is no exception.

As I understand it, agnostics profess uncertainty about whether there is a god/afterlife or not. I don't feel uncertain in that regard, at all. Based on everything I've seen or heard, I firmly believe that there isn't a god or gods or afterlife, which, makes me an atheist. Obviously, if there ends up being hard, incontrovertible, proof to the contrary, I'd change my belief structure to accomodate the new data.

As for not liking religions, but getting along fine with most religious people, it goes like this: I view religions as relics of our primitive past, and not useful/necessary/desired for mankind going forward. I'm completely fine with religious individuals as long as they don't cram their specific brand of delusion down my throat, don't fuck with separation of church and state, don't hinder societies progress because of their beliefs, and most importantly, they don't try to kill/imprison/discriminate against me because I'm a godless heathen.

Lol thank you for this :lol:

I agree with you, and completely understand where you're coming from

PS

Helena, I :love: you lol :Grouphug:

It wasn't the mistake I took issue with, it was the denial that one was made. I just asked about Athena claiming having problem with religious people is a requirement for being an atheist, to which she replied

Misconception.

Also, calm down, no one said anything about requirements....even when we've just started a conversation you annoy me.

Which is a untrue, she was saying it is a requirement, I was just pointing out the dishonesty of this statement. And unlike Athena, I actually don't want to be rude, so I'm going to leave it at that.

It wasn't the mistake I took issue with, it was the denial that one was made. I just asked about Athena claiming having problem with religious people is a requirement for being an atheist, to which she replied

Misconception.

Which is a untrue, they were saying it is a requirement, I was just pointing out the dishonesty of this statement. And unlike Athena, I actually don't want to be rude, so I'm going to leave it at that.

Well, I am polyteist who believes in Northern Pantheon (Thor, etc.). In my country, there were also many gods, like Svantovít, Triglav, Perun and this stuff.

Ironical is that I live in a part of city (more like village) where are still many christians.

So you like Vikings?

I'm an atheist.

It's comments like these that make too many atheists basically intolerable. You could just say "I don't have a religion" but noo, you wanted to express both your naked contempt for everyone who believes differently and, for some reason, a ha-ha-funny comment about baby rape. For fuck's sake.

Just imagine what we atheists have to put up with on a daily basis.

It's comments like these that make too many atheists basically intolerable. You could just say "I don't have a religion" but noo, you wanted to express both your naked contempt for everyone who believes differently and, for some reason, a ha-ha-funny comment about baby rape. For fuck's sake.

I have no contempt for individual Christians. I just look at life differently than they/you do. I don't think I'm smarter and you're dumber, for it. So... maybe asusme less about what I think of Christians in the future?

I do, however, have an unbiding contempt for Christianity and all of its manifestations.

Love the Chrisitans, hate their religions.

I have no contempt for individual Christians. I just look at life differently than they/you do. I don't think I'm smarter and you're dumber, for it. So... maybe asusme less about what I think of Christians in the future?

I do, however, have an unbiding contempt for Christianity and all of its manifestations.

Love the Chrisitans, hate their religions.

I don't care, TP. I still love you. <3 And I know you love me, too, you're just intimidated. It's okay. I will wait for you. :D

I think it was in his response to Bill O'Riley.

I'm quite certain the quote i stated is not 100% accurate, but it got the point across.

It's from this interview :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5dSyT50Cs8

"If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for God, then God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance..."

It's comments like these that make too many believers basically intolerable. They could just say "atheists are the work of the devil and live a life of anomie and despair and just want to sin and hate on Christians and god and America and revel in nasty comments about the bible and don't deserve to be citizens or to have the right to vote and they suck and they'll burn in hell and they are bigots and they offend me and they think they're so smrt or burn the infidels or jail the apostates or they insult my favourite book..."

Oh, that's right, they already do.

Of course not all believers are this intolerant. Of course not all atheists are this intolerant. Grouping all atheists together the way you did is just the same as saying "muslims in the community should denounce terrorists!"

As you so eloquently put it, "for fuck's sake".

What religion am I?

If I were to believe in the Abrahamic God, whether it be Catholic, Protestant, Islam, or Judaism, I would feel compelled to skin innocent babies alive after I rape them repeatedly, just to ensure that I shall be separated from HIM for eternity.

Fortunately for all the innocent babies of the world, I don't believe that Abrahamic God exists.

This is a pretty bizarre statement. If the god of the tanakh/bible/qur'an did exist I would continue to be a moral person, a demonstrably more moral person than him. And if I was unfortunate enough to meet him I would say (as Hitch put it) "well you have a lot to answer for".

Archived