Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, part deux

JonCon's Red Beard

I have this other fantasy about the ending of all this. It turns out that this whole Planetos / Westeros / Essos thing is just something that the Wizard Merlin dreamed up to keep himself from going mad while Nimue has him locked up in the cave. Think about it, Arthur is a Pendragon so no way is Dany the "last Dragon". Jon is pretty much Arthur without a Sword in the Stone, Eddard Stark is Sir Ector, just with a different career arc, Ser Jaime is sort of a "what if Lancelot started off bad"? Cersei is Guinivere's evil twin. Eventually Merlin gets bored with his alternate universe and that's when the White Walkers smash the wall and take over and then we realize that Merlin has started watching "The Walking Dead".

Yes I enjoy ASOIAF very much but this is what happens when you take too long between books.

i confess i don't really have any intention of reading dunk and egg or the world of ice and fire. i feel like i'd rather reread the main series.

I very much agree, I was invested in the first five books (ok, I came to them late (just last year), I can't even imagine what it's like to have become a fan back in 1996) but I'm not interested in ancillary characters. It's what frustrated me about books four and five, we were introduced to new characters who didn't really advance the story, some of whom died very quickly. I read the books, then I re-read them, now I come on here but frankly I'm reading on other topics now. I know that it doesn't matter to anyone but me (and least of all to GRRM) but if book 6 is similar to 4+5 I think I may just lose interest in the whole thing. But like I say that's just me.

I feel the same way. Maybe they'll have an outdoor wedding and then Stoneheart will open the gates...

I like to imagine that BWB will open the doors letting in Nymeria's wolfpack who then go to town on the assembled Freys and Lannisters while Lady Stoneheart watches while scratching Nymeria's head.

Good to see you, Ren! Still hanging on in there?

Lol trying to. I'm about a little more than a month away from graduating college, (procrastinating on) looking for a real job and blowing all my money on my pedalboard for my guitar...and somehow all of that led me back here.

And this may have been something I mentioned in an old confessions thread, but with me not having read an ASOIAF in full in years now its become even more apparent - I retain a lot of relatively insignificant information about characters and events in storylines I like, but in the ones I didn't like so much I barely even remember what happened. Like I actually got involved in a debate on the merits of Richard Horpe and Justin Massey on here, but I barely even remember what the fuck all that "Harpy" business in Meereen was all about.

i confess i don't really have any intention of reading dunk and egg or the world of ice and fire. i feel like i'd rather reread the main series.

I guess its time to confess I haven't read any of D&E - though I know roughly what happens in them.

World of Ice and Fire is amazing though.

I like to imagine that BWB will open the doors letting in Nymeria's wolfpack who then go to town on the assembled Freys and Lannisters while Lady Stoneheart watches while scratching Nymeria's head.

That's way better

If the Baratheons are Valyrian, why does nobody ever mention it/seem to care? Why do they have black hair? It seems the vast majority have silver-blonde hair except for the odd one that pops up every now and then, but the ENTIRE Baratheon line has black hair.

They aren't. Orys had some of the blood. But not all. Baratheon/Durrandon magic gene from the mermaid Elenei makes black hari superior.

Even though I've been known as one of the chief Stannis fanboys on the forums in the past, I actually think he'd only be a good king in wartime. And I also don't want him to sit the Iron Throne simply because I think dying to defend the realm would be a way better ending to his arc.

They aren't. Orys had some of the blood. But not all. Baratheon/Durrandon magic gene from the mermaid Elenei makes black hari superior.

....O.o

I think i need to actually read WoIaF. Cuz wtf is that shit, yo. lol

i got it for Christmas, but havent really been arsed to crack it open yet.

Even though I've been known as one of the chief Stannis fanboys on the forums in the past, I actually think he'd only be a good king in wartime. And I also don't want him to sit the Iron Throne simply because I think dying to defend the realm would be a way better ending to his arc.

Whoa. Ngl, thats kinda huge for you to admit, brah.

Crazy theory time; I think that house Hightower is the Illuminati of Westeros. I think they've been scheming to take over for a while now. They have connections to the citadel and the faith of the seven. I think they're aiming to either control or eliminate magic/dragons/etc from the world. I know he's known for being a bit of a crackpot and I don't subscribe to every single thing he says, but Preston Jacobs won me over with his "Dragonless Ambitions" video series.

Even if you don't buy this whole grand conspiracy, it's interesting to note that the Hightowers are featured in the appendix, and so far every house who has featured in the appendix has ended up playing a pretty significant role. Plus, the level of control that the maesters have over education and communication especially, makes them prime targets for a conspiracy. Characters within the story have mentioned that they believe the maesters to be untrustworthy, and Sam is now in prime position to be a POV for Oldtown et all. It's also interesting to note that out of all the religions we've been presented with, the faith of the seven seems to be a dud.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play into this "bittersweet" ending GRRM has talked about. Perhaps they believe they are eliminating magic for the greater good or something. Idk, I don't have a plethora of evidence to back this up, but I think it makes sense and since it hasn't been disproved yet, I'll stick to it. lol

Onto the pyre with you.

Might as well "go there." There are definitely shades of sexism when people discuss Catelyn, Daenerys, Sansa, and Cersei, though I know they rarely influence a lot of conversation.

Daenerys and Daario's sex scenes do not bother me at all. Asha's on the otherhand is disturbing and sad.

"What is dead may never die" is a stupid phrase.

"What is dead may never die" is a stupid phrase.

I can't read it without thinking “That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die". If that whole thing -- the krakens, the catch phrase, the Deep Ones, the whole lot of it -- isn't some serious H. P. Lovecraft fanboying on GRRM's part, I don't know what is.

Crazy theory time; I think that house Hightower is the Illuminati of Westeros. I think they've been scheming to take over for a while now. They have connections to the citadel and the faith of the seven. I think they're aiming to either control or eliminate magic/dragons/etc from the world. I know he's known for being a bit of a crackpot and I don't subscribe to every single thing he says, but Preston Jacobs won me over with his "Dragonless Ambitions" video series.

Even if you don't buy this whole grand conspiracy, it's interesting to note that the Hightowers are featured in the appendix, and so far every house who has featured in the appendix has ended up playing a pretty significant role. Plus, the level of control that the maesters have over education and communication especially, makes them prime targets for a conspiracy. Characters within the story have mentioned that they believe the maesters to be untrustworthy, and Sam is now in prime position to be a POV for Oldtown et all. It's also interesting to note that out of all the religions we've been presented with, the faith of the seven seems to be a dud.

I wouldn't be surprised if they play into this "bittersweet" ending GRRM has talked about. Perhaps they believe they are eliminating magic for the greater good or something. Idk, I don't have a plethora of evidence to back this up, but I think it makes sense and since it hasn't been disproved yet, I'll stick to it. lol

Likewise I feel similar. There is that black stone (ancient Asshai to me) in the Hightower, it's the seat of the Faith and Citadel (or used to be) and whenever a Hightower shows up it's to do with scandal or conspiracy or ambition. Absolutely are they up to something. Maybe not now, but usually.

(shhh... let's no go THAT off topic or mods can cancel us. Do we want that? eh? eh?)

My own random thought: I spent the whole week watching HP movies (thanks, Warner Channel!) and I think Evanna Lynch could have made a good Dany. She's pretty and has some sort of innocence about her.

"Fight! Fight! Fight for good master...Cressen?" :dunno:

Edit: interesting thought...who is Stannis' Regulus? :idea: :lol:

I meant more when Kreacher was on "those days" in which he insulted everybody who was currently inhabiting Grimmauld Place.

"Nasty brat, standing there as bold as brass. Harry Potter, the boy who stopped the Dark Lord. Friend of Mudbloods and blood-traitors alike."

I'm curious to hear Stannis' opinions on a lot of people, because we all know he has one.

Also does JonCon :P

I confess I find the funko-pop figures ugly and do not want to have any.

God, I actually went to buy one, with money at hand and I... watched it closely. They... I thought they would be better, tbh. I might buy eventually a Jon, Dany and Ygritte and make them do orgies and stuff, though.

It's all three heads and half of Tormund's member. Fat Walda had no idea what she was talking about.

His fish is not small, just... floppy.

Daenerys and Daario's sex scenes do not bother me at all. Asha's on the otherhand is disturbing and sad.

Asha (or GRRM)... tries too much :dunno:

Archived