U.S. Politics - Indiana is super awesome

TerraPrime

I went to that GoFundMe page, and saw the blather about a pizza joint "falling victim to the culture war." That was one war conservatives were eager to fight until they started taking casualties. They spent countless years badgering, outlawing, persecuting and killing gay people, but now they're poor, defenseless victims of the merciless homoMafia. I have zero sympathy.

Don't you know that straight white men are becoming an endangered species in this great land of theirs?

I don't recall asking whether they could be forced to write 'god prefers gay couples' on the cake. Although i'm not sure you're right that they couldn't be forced to add it.

I picked an example that was closer to apples than oranges. And of course they couldn't be forced to add it. It is only some strange sense of paranoia mixed with victimhood that would make you think differently.

Well it's not even quite that, at least one of the bakers was willing to bake the cake shaped like a bible. It just that she refused to do that writing and the customer would have to do it himself.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/colorado-baker-marjorie-silva-faces-complaint-for-refusing-anti-gay-message-on-cake-1.2927469

As opposed to the other baker who wouldn't make the cake period because on noes teh gays.

I'm not talking just about this case, I'm talking in general.

There is a difference between "I will not serve you because of who you are" and "I won't participate in your hate speech".

So if they refuse to make a rainbow cake for everyone, then they don't need to make a rainbow cake for anyone?

Are you being purposefully obtuse? It isn't hard. If a bakery decides it's quirk is to only make cakes with blue frosting, they don't need to make anyone a cake with more than blue frosting.

Are you being purposefully obtuse? It isn't hard. If a bakery decides it's quirck is to only make cakes with blue frosting, they don't need to make anyone a cake with more than blue frosting.

Dang it! This is reminding me of the last time I walked through the concession area of a fairground (or was it a carnival?) Lots of little booths. This one sold just cotton candy. The next one caramel apples. Then ice cream. I mean, I did not go to the dang cotton candy stall expecting to buy ice cream.

Particularly in such a ridiculous context. Yeah gay people crying out about a company that says "we will not serve your kind" is just rabid SJWs at it again, no legitimate case here!!

Ah. So only groups that went through the amazing pile of shit that blacks went through get to claim protected status. How low can you set the bar on this. You figure gays have it good since they didn't go through slavery? Do you think Asians don't deserve protected status? Where do you set the bar on internment camps? How about Hispanics? Do they qualify, or have they not yet suffered enough at the hands of the state, the culture, and the business community.

For that matter where do you stand on blacks having protected class ongoing? Is everything all good - or at least not at the level of slavery, so giving blacks protected status is no longer needed?

This conversation has been entirely taken out of context. We were discussing a article about Rand Paul on protected classes and weather that should extend to gays. I was trying to explain his position which I feel while obtuse is based on logic. I fully support Gay rights including civil unions, cakes and whatever else someone wants. But I understand the process someone uses to say they should not be a protected class. I dont have to agree with it to understand it.

We are talking about a guy who managed to put Goat Herder and an Achmed reference into one post about Iran. Lets not give too much credit to this one.

As someone who supports rights for everyone including Gays, Jews, Women, and Christians my strong feeling on Iran make perfect sense. They are a culture that abuses and seeks to destroy all of those groups.

As someone who supports rights for everyone including Gays, Jews, Women, and Christians my strong feeling on Iran make perfect sense. They are a culture that abuses and seeks to destroy all of those groups.

How do you feel about our stalwart allies, the House of Saud? Given your extensive experience in the region and all.

How do you feel about our stalwart allies, the House of Saud? Given your extensive experience in the region and all.

The Kingdom has huge strides to make. They have a tough hand to play (legitimacy comes from radical immans, radical Immans want no progress) but have made promising step in the last 18 months.

Honestly I perfer their meaningful small steps to other regimes false public shows

The Kingdom has huge strides to make. They have a tough hand to play (legitimacy comes from radical immans, radical Immans want no progress) but have made promising step in the last 18 months.

Honestly I perfer their meaningful small steps to other regimes false public shows

Steps like what? Do you know what Abdullah did to his daughters, I'm curious? They're also still, to my knowledge, having a man flogged for what he wrote down.

So, you prefer a regime that prevents women from working, going outside without a male relative, driving or going to university, and bans any religion being practiced other than Islam, to a regime that allows all those things and has relatively (for the Middle East) free elections and media?

OK.

What do "meaningful small steps" mean in that regard? Why is Iran, which has at least some democratic structures and which allows its women to study at their universities, worse than Saudi Arabia, an absolute monarchy that doesn't even allow its women to drive?

Steps like what? Do you know what Abdullah did to his daughters, I'm curious? They're also still, to my knowledge, having a man flogged for what he wrote down.

So, you prefer a regime that prevents women from working, going outside without a male relative, driving or going to university, and bans any religion being practiced other than Islam, to a regime that allows all those things and has relatively (for the Middle East) free elections and media?

OK.

Its Funny that you hear Regime and automatically assume Iran. lol

Because you brought up Iran and its treatment of women, Jews, gay people and Christians. And then defended another regime that is objectively worse on all those measures, with the possible exception of gay people.

Because you brought up Iran and its treatment of women, Jews, gay people and Christians. And then defended another regime that is objectively worse on all those measures, with the possible exception of gay people.

Even LGBT rights are slightly more progressive in Iran than in Saudi Arabia. While the situation for gay and lesbian Iranians is indeed dire, the Iranian state acknowledges transsexuality and offers SRS free of charge. The Saudis... don't.

And yes TOaFK, we were talking about Iran in the first place, so of course your answer on the Saudis would be compared to your stance on Iran.

Its Funny that you hear Regime and automatically assume Iran. lol

It's funny how quickly and easily you fell into my trap and revealed, once again, your ignorance and simplistic "good guys vs bad guys" thinking. You talk about complicated global issues like they're all the setup for a Stallone flick. Keep going like this and people are going to start thinking you're a sockpuppet I keep around for my own amusement.

[mod hat]

Folks, let's not focus on the posting style and pattern of another user and instead, focus on the issues and arguments.

Thanks.

[/mod hat]

Archived