[TWOW Spoilers] Alayne I, v. 2

Isn't the betrothal dependent on Harry actually liking Alayne? So, they don't need to do anything to persuade him, they simply say: come to the tourney, take part. She's there too, see how you like her

Imagine Ned telling Sansa to spend time with a bastard boy to see if they like each other, in which case they'll marry. How would that go over?

Iow, his liking her is probably best case scenario, but they're already in a place Harry would normally never gave to go, whose very suggestion would be insulting to 95% of non-Dornish nobility. So even having to entertain the notion suggests he's already being pushed as opposed to asked, and that alone suggests the idea that it's his call might be a bit overstated. If it was his call, he wouldn't even be there, I think his behaviour suggests.

As his guardian, Waynwood is entitled to make betrothals for him.

What confuses me about this is how public all this is, and well before Sansa even wins him over to the idea.

I agree on the former, but I'm asking about form. As her King, Joff is entitled to make Sansa's betrothals for her, but no one seems to think that that alone explains her compliance.

And I hate to keep going about "lemongate", but George has not hinted at it at all. All he's told us is that lemons aren't sold in Braavos because of its climate, but that doesn't mean they can't be grown privately.

Ehm... It has never been stated that lemons aren't sold in Braavos because of the climate...?

It has been stated that there are no trees in Braavos, except for the courts of the high and mighty (and all the islands around Braavos).

Is this definitely set five years in the future? How old was/ is SR?

No. This takes place either during the end of Dance, or shortly after, depending on which storyline you look at.. It would appear about 1,5 months or so have passed since the last Alayne chapter. Slightly less than a month since the first competitors arrived for the tourney, and there would have been some time to arrange the tourney.

Sweetrobin should be 8 by now.

As to the papers on LF's desk that had been blown onto the floor by the wind... There is a list of competitors of the tourney amongst those... Would LF be planning something? A bribed tourney (in part)? A set-up specifically arranged?

If Anya is like a mother to him, asking might be enough.

It's possible, but if so it's a very complicated situation; he seems VERY opposed to the idea, as do the social conventions. But supposing his objection outweighs his affection, I am asking what the mechanics of compulsion could be.

Harry 'loved' his last companion too. Until she became 'fat' post-pregnancy...

He is an entitled nobleman like Brandon Stark and King Bob. He may think the mother is a fat cow but he still cares for the bastard. His behavior though not likeable is close to being a norm in Westeros.

He is an entitled nobleman like Brandon Stark and King Bob. He may think the mother is a fat cow but he still cares for the bastard. His behavior though not likeable is close to being a norm in Westeros.

I wonder why people never complain about Oberyn actually hitting women, but Robert and Harry are of course complete Machos... Harry is not worse than most noblemen we encounter, if anything it's more the contrary.

Thus, garden variety douchebag. Nobody's saying he's a monster.

I would say his comments on his bastards are much more exceptional than his comments on their mothers. I agree his comments on his mother are distasteful, but then people of both genders seem to place a lot of importance on physical appearance, including Sansa. Not so much garden variety as near universal human failng.

Edit: also,I find the 'especially because she only got fat due to pregnancy' angle to be almost comically hypocritical.

'It's wrong to judge people on physical appearance, especially those who aren't morally to blame for their physical appearance', lol.

As to the papers on LF's desk that had been blown onto the floor by the wind... There is a list of competitors of the tourney amongst those... Would LF be planning something? A bribed tourney (in part)? A set-up specifically arranged?

Well, I'd be pretty sure he wants to make sure that Harry the Heir wins one of the eight spots, thus keeping him around the castle permanently.

How long ha it been from the death of lysa. Robbins hair seems o b extremely long. It's down to his chest. This gives me pause to think it's been a few years and gives an answer to why the characters seem out of place

How long ha it been from the death of lysa. Robbins hair seems o b extremely long. It's down to his chest. This gives me pause to think it's been a few years and gives an answer to why the characters seem out of place

It hasn't been a few years. It's been a few months, total. Jaime stated when he arrived at Raventree that the Red Wedding was six months earlier. Lysa's death occurred an unspecified amount of time after the Red Wedding, but maybe in the area of 2 months.

Well, I'd be pretty sure he wants to make sure that Harry the Heir wins one of the eight spots, thus keeping him around the castle permanently.

He probably wants Mychel Redfort to win too, to have as a "hostage" and keep Lord Redfort in line. But something tells me Lothor Brune won't go through with it and he'll smash Mychel to impress Mya instead of letting him win. That could cause a riff between LF and Lothor

I also think LF is paying Lyn to throw a fight, mostly because he can't lend an ear to plots against LF if he's publicly allied with LF. But I think this chapter showed how...unpredictable Lyn can be, and maybe he likes killing more than LF thinks

I would say his comments on his bastards are much more exceptional than his comments on their mothers. I agree his comments on his mother are distasteful, but then people of both genders seem to place a lot of importance on physical appearance, including Sansa. Not so much garden variety as near universal human failng.

Edit: also,I find the 'especially because she only got fat due to pregnancy' angle to be almost comically hypocritical.

'It's wrong to judge people on physical appearance, especially those who aren't morally to blame for their physical appearance', lol.

True, most people do want a partner they are physically attracted to. (Not necessarily one who is conventionally attractive, just attractive to them.) That's reasonable.

Harry, however, is a douche and ought to be from House Massengill with a giant nozzle on his coat of arms. The mother of his child is fat because she had HIS child - class-y. :stillsick:

I liked how Sansa was kind to the stammering Ser Wallace and gave him a word he couldn't stutter over, and how she was the one who planned the tourney. It shows that she's learning to play the game and she's learning to use her love of knights and tournaments as a means to an end. And I had to laugh at her snarking at the Very Speshul Youneek Snowflayke Nayme of Harry's paramour. (eta - it was not his child)

BTW is this the "controversial" chapter? The only really controversial things I can think of are - can eight-year-olds have pimples? And Harry is a jerk; I suppose Harry/Sansa shippers might be put out, but most people were prepared to be skeptical of Harry anyway, what with the info that he'd already fathered several out of wedlock kids at his age.

He probably wants Mychel Redfort to win too, to have as a "hostage" and keep Lord Redfort in line. But something tells me Lothor Brune won't go through with it and he'll smash Mychel to impress Mya instead of letting him win. That could cause a riff between LF and Lothor

I also think LF is paying Lyn to throw a fight, mostly because he can't lend an ear to plots against LF if he's publicly allied with LF. But I think this chapter showed how...unpredictable Lyn can be, and maybe he likes killing more than LF thinks

It would be so awesome seeing Lynn killing Harry as an ultimate fuck you to LF and his plans. I'd like to see his face.

His big mistake is imho that he underestimates how different people can be, which might eventually backfire. Maybe Lynn does care about more than just little boys and gold.

True, most people do want a partner they are physically attracted to. (Not necessarily one who is conventionally attractive, just attractive to them.) That's reasonable.

Harry, however, is a douche and ought to be from House Massengill with a giant nozzle on his coat of arms. The mother of his child is fat because she had HIS child - class-y. :stillsick:

I liked how Sansa was kind to the stammering Ser Wallace and gave him a word he couldn't stutter over, and how she was the one who planned the tourney. It shows that she's learning to play the game and she's learning to use her love of knights and tournaments as a means to an end. And I had to laugh at her snarking at the Very Speshul Youneek Snowflayke Nayme of Harry's second illegitimate daughter.

BTW is this the "controversial" chapter? The only really controversial things I can think of are - can eight-year-olds have pimples? And Harry is a jerk; I suppose Harry/Sansa shippers might be put out, but most people were prepared to be skeptical of Harry anyway, what with the info that he'd already fathered several out of wedlock kids at his age.

To address the bolded, are you saying people who are fat for other reasons are more worthy of judgment/scorn?

Archived