Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IV

JonCon's Red Beard

I confess, I have noting relevant or interesting to post...I just want to get notifications on this thread. I've been busy lately and the last one filled up and locked me out! :(

Jon Snow opened a bakery...it's called You Know Muffins, Jon Snow. (such a horrible dad joke) :)

And this.

Each time I come across a (deserving) character death, I immediately put the book down, rise from my bed and ran in circles at the side while exclaiming "WOOOOOOO!".

Sometimes I also like to pretend I'm Arya and act out her scenes in front of my bedroom mirror. It's pretty embarrassing, really

To be honest so far, after watching the first two episodes and having read the spoilers for the coming two anyway, I actually am kind of liking Season 5 even with the changes. I was definitely a full on book purist around the time of Season 3/to a lesser extent Season 4 but idk, I've kind of just learned to accept the show as a separate entity at this point and as a result I'm enjoying it the way I used to before I read the books again.

That's not to say the show doesn't have shitty parts though (Missandei/Grey Worm, every time Emilia Clarke attempts "acting", the Dorne subplot) but...idk the good stuff is cancelling it out for me at least so far. We'll see.

I have not seen any issue with Dany's acting this season. That's probably the least of the show's terrible issues.

D&D are sexist. I said it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's racism or sexism that causes people to praise MMD's treatment of Daenerys and Rhaego. It would not be the case if Dany was colored and Mirri was white.

I have not seen any issue with Dany's acting this season. That's probably the least of the show's terrible issues.

D&D are sexist. I said it.

Sometimes I wonder if it's racism or sexism that causes people to praise MMD's treatment of Daenerys and Rhaego. It would not be the case if Dany was colored and Mirri was white.

A lot of people dislike the Targs for that very same reason. "Yeah, people justify Rhaegar because he was hot". :dunno:

And yes, the show is becoming very sexist, specially towards woman. If a woman is strong, she's a violent bitter bitch. If she's not, she's a potential victim of rape.

Sansa on the show is portrayed as very strong and yet she's not a violent bitter bitch. So are Olenna Tyrell, Marg, Cat, and heck even -ugh, this kills me to use as a reference- Talisa. I think the strong females who are also violent are Cersei and Arya (who really is more cold than violent, her goal is to kill, not torture). Brienne is a fighter, but she hasn't actually been portrayed as particularly emotionally strong? She has a sense of duty and needs a good leader she can follow. Ellaria Sand doesn't seem strong at all to me, and that's good too. Not all women, just like the half of humanity, are strong. I do have issues with some of the directions they take for certain female characters but I mean, Westeros is a sexist place, the rape culture is pervasive. Although, there has been zero rape threats in all of two episodes, this must be a record.

I think Damphair is the best and most interesting Greyjoy uncle and that Euron is overrated.

:agree:

I find the whole best claim to rule debate stupid as I believe power comes to those who take it.... Hence I don't think any character has a claim to the iron throne...

:agree:

I legit want to cite these new "religious freedom" laws in the USA to follow the Drowned God and the Old Ways. Excluding the rape (ick, I can get consensual sex just fine thanks), I'm pretty much down with Psuedo Cthulu. If I could pay the iron price I'd be rich, instead of the over educated & poverty stricken dude I am now. Wealth inequality is a sickness in out society w/ no cure under current conditions. Iron Price all the way. Like the wildlings say, a man has a right to what he can hold onto, nothing more.

Also, Richard harris was horrible as dumbledore, all eyes half open talking like he's just woken or just about to have his 9th nap of the day, life support machinery under his robes who let this sleepy geezer out of hospice care lookin ass

I legit want to cite these new "religious freedom" laws in the USA to follow the Drowned God and the Old Ways. Excluding the rape (ick, I can get consensual sex just fine thanks), I'm pretty much down with Psuedo Cthulu. If I could pay the iron price I'd be rich, instead of the over educated & poverty stricken dude I am now. Wealth inequality is a sickness in out society w/ no cure under current conditions. Iron Price all the way. Like the wildlings say, a man has a right to what he can hold onto, nothing more.

All reave, no rape?

Confession---I was in a pub listening to my friend's tale of getting kicked in the chops yet again by love and THEN I found out the guy that was sitting with us had read all the books and also watched the tv series. As he's a Stark fan and I'm a Lannister fan we had a lively debate lol. My friend and his girlfriend grew very bored very quickly (as they haven't read the books or seen the show) We were debating why Shae was found in Tywin's bed when his girlfriend finally dragged him away. (this just happened on Friday)

I was just so excited to find someone else that loved ASOIAF.

A lot of people dislike the Targs for that very same reason. "Yeah, people justify Rhaegar because he was hot". :dunno:And yes, the show is becoming very sexist, specially towards woman. If a woman is strong, she's a violent bitter bitch. If she's not, she's a potential victim of rape.

Now that's not true, they can also be Stupid, like Lollys and Gilly, stupid and sweet, or crazy like Selyse and Mel who seems to draw her power from the penis now. Good thing Tyrion is brining his big brain to save Dany from herself, though he will have to get past New Darrio, her let me help you to understand the people and the land you see these flowers. Oh and let me help you understand the fighing pits, oh and I'll take care of Yunkai, all done we now have peace with Yunkai and it was easy and the slaves all have equal rights, oh and let me take care of the Harpy as well. You just look pretty darling your not even a real queen without your dragons. That's all you are really good for, maybe Drogon will come save you later instead of you saving him like in the books.

You know it's just occured to me that in just about every interview I have seen D&D talk about Kit, they talk about how good he is with his sword. That's so cool the way he uses his sword. Kit has sword and he swings it, that's deep character development, yeah swing that sword. Oh and I played Mercy with Jason M once, so cool.

Emilia, and all of Meereen for that matter, have been a bright spot in the first couple episodes. Which is nice as it was one weakest last season.

Not suprised a person with "Death before Dany" as their title has a problem with her. :rolleyes:

Emilia, and all of Meereen for that matter, have been a bright spot in the first couple episodes. Which is nice as it was one weakest last season.

Not suprised a person with "Death before Dany" as their title has a problem with her. :rolleyes:

The Meereen plot actually is better on the show, in large part because it's not bogged down by Danys internal dialogue about Daarios blue pubes the entire time.

That doesn't change the fact that Emilia is still godfuckingawful though.

The Meereen plot actually is better on the show, in large part because it's not bogged down by Danys internal dialogue about Daarios blue pubes the entire time.

That doesn't change the fact that Emilia is still godfuckingawful though.

Agree to disagree. She was great in season 1, and every so often she shines when they give her good material. Is she Meryl Streep? Ofc not, but it's her first acting job, "godfuckingawful" is pretty damn harsh.

Yeah, if he was portrayed by an unpopular, ugly actor, he'd be less worshipped. (I actually pictured him more like the guy who played Karkaroff)

James may have been a bully as a kid but Snape was a white supremisist. xD

So was Dumbledore in his youth during his love affair with Grindelwald. Snape has more than atoned for the sins of his youth.

Now that's not true, they can also be Stupid, like Lollys and Gilly, stupid and sweet, or crazy like Selyse and Mel who seems to draw her power from the penis now. Good thing Tyrion is brining his big brain to save Dany from herself, though he will have to get past New Darrio, her let me help you to understand the people and the land you see these flowers. Oh and let me help you understand the fighing pits, oh and I'll take care of Yunkai, all done we now have peace with Yunkai and it was easy and the slaves all have equal rights, oh and let me take care of the Harpy as well. You just look pretty darling your not even a real queen without your dragons. That's all you are really good for, maybe Drogon will come save you later instead of you saving him like in the books.

You know it's just occured to me that in just about every interview I have seen D&D talk about Kit, they talk about how good he is with his sword. That's so cool the way he uses his sword. Kit has sword and he swings it, that's deep character development, yeah swing that sword. Oh and I played Mercy with Jason M once, so cool.

:bowdown:

I have tried, tried desperately to defend the show. I was a pretty avid show defender until the 4th season, when things just got too much. The Jaime/Cersei rape scene? I thought they had changed it to a rape. My GF (Sullied) thought likewise, my friends and brother-in-law (Unsullied) thought likewise also. That and episode 10 has made me give up on defending it from legitimate criticism. I mean, D&D seem to be good at doing the what, but not the why (credit to whoever said that first). I think some of their fuckups have happened due to their lack of planning, such as the Dorne situation. Some have happened because they don't have the budget and time necessary. And some have occurred due to the fact that they really aren't great writers. I'm sorry. I like the show, but at this point it deserves the criticism being aimed at it.

I can't believe Nikolaj CW is 45. He has amazing genes...

Hnngh. He is my precious Danish roll and i lurves hims.

Great jeans, too.

:drool: That hat is so adorable im gonna die.

Ep 1 was kinda meh, but Ep 2, she showed A LOT of promise. In fact, i was pleased with it. Ive been critical of her since season 2 really, but she made me smile last night.

Confession time: Im kinda swinging back to liking Dany again. Maybe its because show!Dany and they are kinda moving things along with her quicker. I dunno. Im still not supporting everything she did, and shes still not my best pick for the Iron Throne. But if she goes full nuke, she'll probably be back on the top character roster with me. Drogon is a big ol' beast creature. Look at this big old booface! D'awww

Archived