[BOOK SPOILERS] The Death of Ellaria Sand as we knew her

Here is another thread dedicated to the beloved character botched by the narrow-minded storywriting of Season 5.

Ellaria Sand is one of the most beloved characters not just because she represents the sexually liberated, seductive and interesting foreigner. In ADWD, we see that Ellaria is all of that and more. Her speech about futility of vengeance is perhaps the greatest snippet of wisdom we have heard from Dorne. So, why such interestingly layered character has been replaced with someone so ordinary, predictive and utterly boring?

Once again, this is not just the problem of deviation from the books. Many argued that Ellaria will take Arianne's position in the new setting. But such exchange is never that simple and the problems have arisen with the first scene. Ellaria is not just the nemesis of her book counterpart, she makes no sense even with Ellaria we have met in Season 4. The Ellaria who wasn't raging monster. She was also sensitive and loving. just as she was in the books and even more. Basically, Ellaria in Season 4 and Ellaria in Season 5 are not the same person and it can't be just explained with the trauma of Oberyn's death.

What are your opinions, thoughts? Did Indira Varma's portrayal of Arianne's ghost worked with Ellaria she is supposed to play?

I felt really upset, really. What she said, about sending Myrcella's fingers to Cersei was so OOC that it made me cringe. Seriously, it doesn't make sense with last Season's Ellaria, nor book Ellaria, nor Arianne. She sounded like Cersei O.o

It's scary where they are taking her. Ellaria was always a beloved character of mine, and the way Indira portrayed her last season made me very happy. She was hot, sweet, caring, loving, openminded, and a true companion to Oberyn... a friend, not only a paramour.

I kinda posted this as a reply (to you, actually) in the discussion episode. I haven't yet seen the episode (I was required away from home tonight and I didn't even care I missed the episode...), so, these are my two cents.

The show is missing the point about Elaria, specially if they believe the death of Oberyn justifies her change of attitude from kind to I WANT TO KILL. She's wants to end the chain of revenge. She doesn't want her girls to suffer the same destiny she's seeing her family is doomed to have: revenge and be the target of revenge. It would be easy for her to ask for blood, like Oberyn's daughters, and join them, but she wants their daughters to be free of that stigma. As a mother I can relate.

But the writers of the show seems to be quite white and black about portrayal of woman. If a woman has to be strong, she then has to be a bitter bitch and most likely violent. Also, a constant poker face. If a woman is not strong, she's likely a victim of rape. It's as though they believe any other woman who isn't on top of the ladder somehow, is likely to get raped. That's outrageous, to be honest. I don't know what kind of political statement they want to make but it sounds exploitative and it's not working.

So, yeah... rest in peace, sweet Elaria. You're too good for this show, anyway.

(I feel kinda glad they aren't butchering my Griff... who knows what kind of mess his plot would be)

I don't care for her in the books, she was just a minor character with a nice attitude but nothing more. I wouldn't mind them changing the character if the outcome was any good.

But Show Ellaria is just so bad. I loved Indira Varma in Rome and she didn't bother me in season 4 but she is just so cringe worthy in here. I don't know if it is the accent or the direction or the writing but that Dorne scene was embarrissingly bad.

I really never got the idea that ellaria was loved. but that's besides the point. The scene itself was fine since i'm geussing she's taking over Arriane. but you are right it is the total opposite of what she wanted in the books.

Well, she is. Not anyone's favorite, but opinions about her are mostly positive. I hate that she is taking Arianne's part, because it is like forceful attempt of condensing the story and it doesn't work. Varma hit all the right notes with Ellaria last season. This year... It is just nonsensical.

I could even understand her claiming for revenge somehow, but not by mutilating a child. As I said before, that is so Cersei-ish that it made me start to dislike her just by that first scene. AND SHE WAS A FAVORITE OF MINE LAST SEASON!! C'mon... The way she screamed when Oberyn was killed made my heart break because I felt her pain. Now, I just felt like slapping her face and telling her to get a grip.

I mentioned this in the Dornish thread, but I don't really mind that they're making her more vengeful or whatever.

What bothers me is that Arianne's plan (well, Tyene's) could've gotten Dorne a King Consort.

Show!Ellaria's plan gets Dorne peanuts.

Let's not get carried away. While cool, Ellaria is a side character, she is not "one of the most beloved" characters in the series.

Regardless, show Ellaria works fine for me. She's grieving, she's volatile. None of us have (hopefully) seen the love of our lives and the father of our children have their heads smashed open in front of a crowd of onlookers, some of whom took pleasure in his death. So therefore, none of us can comment on whether or not that trauma warrants certain behaviors.

I'm interested to see how Ellaria's storyline progresses.

I could even understand her claiming for revenge somehow, but not by mutilating a child. As I said before, that is so Cersei-ish that it made me start to dislike her just by that first scene. AND SHE WAS A FAVORITE OF MINE LAST SEASON!! C'mon... The way she screamed when Oberyn was killed made my heart break because I felt her pain. Now, I just felt like slapping her face and telling her to get a grip.

Basically, this happens, when character gets its brain transplanted.

Wishful thinking at best. Her performance in this episode was awful.

Awful, forced, cartoonish... It was really bad.

The problem isn't that Ellaria is minor or not. Ellaria seems to be the voice of the author about revenge in the way Septon Meribald, another minor character, talks about the effects of war on the common men. Her speech sums up very well what the author wants us to feel about revenge and getting even: it never ends and you cannot win. It's obvious that Martin doesn't want us to feel that revenge is something positive we should aspire to, right? Ellaria speaks aloud about what statement he wants to make.

Archived