Magic: The Gathering

Sivin

Why is BUG Delver called Team America in legacy? (It is one of the decks I would consider building if I were to get into Legacy, alongside Miracles, but I always assumed Team America would be UWR.)

The name was a joke, made to poke fun at the fact that the cards in the old BUG deck (long before Delver) were ones that didn't see play in the US, but did in Europe.

It really makes no sense any more, since that deck ran things like Sinkhole and other things no one would ever play now-a-days, but we old fuddy-duddies like our silly names.

I started playing back during Ice Age (~'95 or '96), stopped in the early 2000s.

That was me. I recently decided to get rid of my old cards, because while I loved playing I haven't played in 12-13 years and my schedule affords me no time to even contemplate picking it back up again. Having no time (and being too lazy) for eBay I sold then to an online retailer for a cool 16k. Teenage collectibles for the win!

I don't think I could ever get rid of my cards like that. Too many good memories and nostalgia attached.

I haven't used them for more than a third of my life, and the only thing they were gathering was dust.  I have those same good memories, so shouldn't I sell them so that some other person can gain those good memories too?  I didn't want to be like Smaug sitting on my hoard keeping it from the world any longer, I wanted to put them back out there, and if I can profit while doing so, all the better.

That was me. I recently decided to get rid of my old cards, because while I loved playing I haven't played in 12-13 years and my schedule affords me no time to even contemplate picking it back up again. Having no time (and being too lazy) for eBay I sold then to an online retailer for a cool 16k. Teenage collectibles for the win!

Jeez that's a tidy sum. I've been trying to remember where my cards got stored. I stopped playing around 96, but kept buying cards through at least Tempest.

I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd, nor do I have the money to go out and buy the massive number of cards that others in my gaming group buy, but I get by. I got in when return to Ravnica came out, partly because of my friends getting into it, but also because the world of Ravnica really caught my imagination.

My first deck was a Golgari scavenge deck, which has become my favorite mechanic followed closely by blood rush. I'm running a green black scavenge EDH deck with Varolz the Scarstripped as the commander (when he is out on the field, it turns into a scavenge party, with every body scavenging for their converted mana cost), but I really want to synthesize bloodrush and scavenge into a green red black  monster when you just bloodrush shit and then, with Varolz as just a normal card (he's really hard to get off the field due to his ability to just sac something to keep him alive) scavenge them for their converted mana cost.

I haven't used them for more than a third of my life, and the only thing they were gathering was dust.  I have those same good memories, so shouldn't I sell them so that some other person can gain those good memories too?  I didn't want to be like Smaug sitting on my hoard keeping it from the world any longer, I wanted to put them back out there, and if I can profit while doing so, all the better.

I'm a geek and thus a natural hoarder/collector and thus none of these issues are a barrier against my ability to accumulate and hold onto things I don't need. 

Jeez that's a tidy sum. I've been trying to remember where my cards got stored. I stopped playing around 96, but kept buying cards through at least Tempest.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my modest collection isn't worth nearly as much so you must've had some nice cards in there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my modest collection isn't worth nearly as much so you must've had some nice cards in there.

My guess is he had some Power, plus probably a bunch of duals. Maybe even a few Beta ones. Those will bump your value up real quick.

Lately, I have been in a real Legacy funk. About 3 months ago, I had about 3 months of winning about 80% of my matches. Now I know that is not sustainable (I am not that good), lately I am down below 50%. It's time to go deck hunting, I think I am tired of playing fair decks. On my radar right now is Elves and Reanimator. I have the cards to play Storm but I despise doing that sort of math, so that is probably the one combo deck I'll never really play.

I have thousands of cards from the 90's and dozens of decks.  I just play for fun, but nobody really plays w/ me anymore.  Some of the decks I like playing are:

- Green monster deck with lots of small casting cost elves that also can tap for mana with HUGE dragons and wyrms

- White Angel and flying deck

- Blue/Red counter & indirect damage deck.  No creatures in this one, which is fun, but can get wiped out

- Black Vampire & zombie deck

- A swarm deck for every color

Most of my cards, since they are pretty old, are very straightforward with precious few combination plays, but they are still pretty fun, and I have enough decks to support a 6 person game really easily.

I have thousands of cards from the 90's and dozens of decks.  I just play for fun, but nobody really plays w/ me anymore.  Some of the decks I like playing are:

- Green monster deck with lots of small casting cost elves that also can tap for mana with HUGE dragons and wyrms

- White Angel and flying deck

- Blue/Red counter & indirect damage deck.  No creatures in this one, which is fun, but can get wiped out

- Black Vampire & zombie deck

- A swarm deck for every color

Most of my cards, since they are pretty old, are very straightforward with precious few combination plays, but they are still pretty fun, and I have enough decks to support a 6 person game really easily.

Chris Kluwe (Not as much anymore) is a big magic player and has been known to play at Tower Games.  A friend of mine used to play him on a regular basis on of their draft nights.

While I have a deep appreciation for the game as Vintage is now, with the crazy plays and levels of metagame depth, there is something still very fun about the game at it's most simple.

I am still teaching our kids to play with Portal cards and really the game is pretty fun with just creatures and sorceries.

I'm a geek and thus a natural hoarder/collector and thus none of these issues are a barrier against my ability to accumulate and hold onto things I don't need.

And I can appreciate where you're coming from, partly because the vast number of people that share your extremely valid opinion are why my cards were worth so much ;)

My guess is he had some Power, plus probably a bunch of duals. Maybe even a few Beta ones. Those will bump your value up real quick.

Definitely. My most valuable card was a mint Beta Time Walk, the rest of my power was Unlimited, and I had four Mishra's Workshops, three Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, four Mana Drain, four of each Revised Dual Land, two Candelabras of Tawnos, four Force of Wills (those surprised me on how valuable they are), Abyss/Moat other random Legends Arabian Nights Antiquities and Betas. Another surprising one was Lion's Eye Diamond - I think I got $250 for the one I had. I likely could could have gotten more, much more on eBay, but that would have been a massive undertaking (and headache).

Definitely. My most valuable card was a mint Beta Time Walk, the rest of my power was Unlimited, and I had four Mishra's Workshops, three Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, four Mana Drain, four of each Revised Dual Land, two Candelabras of Tawnos, four Force of Wills (those surprised me on how valuable they are), Abyss/Moat other random Legends Arabian Nights Antiquities and Betas. Another surprising one was Lion's Eye Diamond - I think I got $250 for the one I had. I likely could could have gotten more, much more on eBay, but that would have been a massive undertaking (and headache).

Yeah, those are all high dollar cards there. Most cards from Legends are now extremely expensive, especially Tabernacle. I'm lucky to have 2 (although one is Italian). I think though that the LED's must have been a play set, because they are about $80 a piece now (they were worthless for years though).

I'm really not sure how much my collection would be worth if I sold it, but it is definitely a lot. I don't have any high dollar Beta or anything, but I have playsets of nearly everything that anyone plays in Legacy or Vintage (except only one set of Unlimited power).

We all felt like prices were close to the bubble in 2010. And 2011. And 2012. Well, we still can't find the end of the bubble now...

And I can appreciate where you're coming from, partly because the vast number of people that share your extremely valid opinion are why my cards were worth so much ;)

That sounds like a 6 figure collection.

Currently using a Eldarazi deck. Bought two new duel decks and took the best cards from one to make the other even better. Played 3 player game and crushed 2-0. Also still like playing Commander.  Haven't played any FNM or release tourneys in a while. Used to finish top 3-4 regularly. I enjoy the tricks and logic behind the MTG game.

Went back to mono-White Death and Taxes, made top 4 last FNM. Felt good to Mangara lock two people. Lost to sideboarding totally incorrectly and my opponent drawing a ton of lands versus my mana-denial. Prize packs had a Hangerback Walker and a Abbott of Keral Keep, so not bad.

This coming week I was going to give Reanimator a spin, but someone way playing Dredge last week, so sideboards will probably be juiced with grave-hate, so I think it will be Elves this week.

One of my ex-housemates was into M:tG and we used to do the occasional draft night. I'd never played before but found it really good fun. I think we were playing with Return to Ravnica decks. Drafting is great fun and a very interesting selection exercise. First time I played I was able to get quite a good deck going that burned through the opponents deck to zero - still not quite sure how I managed that as it's apparently not very easy to do!

Having said all that, I don't quite see the attraction of playing with non-draft decks. Seems as though you can win by paying more money to get the good cards - never really been a fan of that style of game. The joy of building a deck around a theme doesn't really do it for me...

When you guys play in tournaments, are they usually draft format?

ST

I almost never draft. I did in my younger days, but the allure is well past me.

Thing is, I own a lot of cards. I enjoy being able to put together almost any Legacy deck and play it. Opening random cards in packs has very little allure to me. Being able to predict the meta, change sideboards or even entire decks based off that, is fun to me. The pay-to-win aspect is a little overdrawn mostly. BUG Delver, as I had it built, is well over $3,000 yet a $100 Burn deck would beat me more often than not.

I definitely understand why people like Limited and it's great for people who aren't interested in building large collections, or playing often, etc, it's just not something I have the time for/really like anymore.

Archived