[BOOK SPOILERS] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Sam and Gilly will take off with her :)

And they go to Old Town and meet Sarella, and Sarella and Shireen bond over how nerdy they both are. And then Lazy Leo says something racist, so Shireen wacks him in the face with a large volume about ostriches.

So, this article generated some comments - nothing much - but I thought this one was interesting:

"Reading this article gave another interesting angel to the GOT experience.. Clearly there is a divide between viewers of the show who have read the books and those who have not.. I have not read the books along with people in my circle and perception we had so far of current season is that episodes were sluggish and stories seemed to be going no where, like producers were letting Martin some breathing room to write up the next volume."

My point is, is it possible that the show will lose show viewers only before (if ever) it loses book readers who love the show? I can see this happening, especially if the story [the show is trying to tell, whatever that might be] continues on this path of making less and less sense with each passing week.

ETA: the article -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/03/hbo-shouldnt-rush-game-of-thrones/?utm_source=alertsnewcomment&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20150506#comments

What are everyone's continued thoughts on the Dornish accents? Does this continue to be a conscious decision on D&D's part? I think it's really having a deleterious effect on the Sand Fakes. Faullaria's accent is bad enough, but I find Obara's downright distracting. It made her monologue presentation that much worse. Personally, I lay the blame on newly minted writer Dave Hill. I think it went down like this:

Dave H: Guys, we have a serious problem with Dorne!

David: Who?

Dan: What's the problem?

Dave H: I was just thinking, in the few scenes where the Dornish aren't fucking or fighting-

Dan: Or fuckfighting.

Dave H: How are people going to know that Dorne is different from the rest of Westeros.

Steve the Intern: Well, we could work in some of their cultural allegi-

David: I know! Sombreros! They can all wear sombreros and bandoliers and shit. Like real life Spanish people.

Dan: No money in the costume budget. We spent it all on chains and robes for the Faith Militant.

Dave H: Ooooh! Brain storm! How about we just have them do accents! Really thick ones! That way everyone will know how different they are.

David: Great thinking Davey boy! Steve, why don't you show this kind of initiative?

Steve: I-

Dan: So, should we get a dialect coach or something?

Dave: Nah, just have them wing it. What's the worst that could happen?

I swear, the more I think about it the more I wonder if David hired him because it would be one less name for him to remember.

What are everyone's continued thoughts on the Dornish accents? Does this continue to be a conscious decision on D&D's part? I think it's really having a deleterious effect on the Sand Fakes. Faullaria's accent is bad enough, but I find Obara's downright distracting. It made her monologue presentation that much worse. Personally, I lay the blame on newly minted writer Dave Hill. I think it went down like this:

[...]

I swear, the more I think about it the more I wonder if David hired him because it would be one less name for him to remember.

You had me laughing in front of my screen. That doesn't happen to me often.

The Dornish accents? They suck. Big time. They don't make sense: surely the Dornish nobility speaks the common tongue as well as anyone else in Westeros. Why would they have such terrible accents? Like people whose mother tongue is not English?

It was ok for Pedro, because his accent wasn't that thick and could be passed as some sort of local thing (or speech impediment, har). Also, his brillant acting kind of made me forget the accent. But those Sand Fakes? Nope, doesn't work. Of course, maybe it has to do with the fact that they're all native English speakers and that they have to force themselves to sound Spanish...

Edit: It's a bit like sometimes, when they dub a movie in French, they give fake accents to some characters. Now it's bad enough when they give a Russian accent to a Russian character, but it becomes grotesque when they give a British accent to a British character speaking French. Yes, I've already seen that.

What are everyone's continued thoughts on the Dornish accents?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: they all sound like Manuel from "Fawlty Towers" which is probably not what they're going for! (I half expect someone to patronizingly say "He's from Barcelona!" when they're talking.)

The thing is that they've literally NOT DONE THIS for anywhere else: Arya and Sansa didn't have the same accents as Robb and Jon, for heaven's sake, and they all grew up in isolated Northern Winterfell, and let us not even speak of the fact that the Lannister siblings all sound completely different from one another. So there wasn't any real reason why all the Dornish had to have terrible, fake Spanish accents, because it's not like we wouldn't know from the nippled breastplates and frequent sex/fighting that they were Dornish, right? :P

I agree that it makes the actors' performances even more mannered and stilted when they have to worry about a fake accent to boot (this is something I've noticed with Peter Dinklage when he has to make an emotionally rousing speech - he does much better with the quieter moments). Not all actors are Meryl Streep (or Idris Elba, for that matter!) and can just do the accents without having them intrude into their performances.

Because there is a huge debate over Pod the Rod vs. Podsdick vs. Pod the Impailer, Podprick just clouds the waters even more.

In hindsight it was probably a rather large warning sign of the direction of the show when D&D sat down to discuss how to add depth to pod whoo would be older on the show.

GRRM: Maybe we can explore some moments in his past, to add depth and soul to Pod. In the books he follows Brie even though he is a bit hopeless he does his best.

D&D: Hmmmmmmmm, we were thinking Giant penis.

Dan: Yeah a great big penis, like a super penis.

Dave: Dickzilla, everyone loves a big dick.

GRRM: Well that is probably true but I am not sure it adds depth.

D&D: Penis, penis, penis!

GRRM: I think we're done here.

Dan: Don't you want to hear our plans for Loras?

Dave: It involves a birthmark, it's shaped like Dorne.

GRRM: You are making Loras from Dorne?

D&D: No, but Dorne is about gay sex just like Loras, soooo it's important he have a birthmark like Dorne.

GRRM: What?

D&D: Gay men are all about sex, and dicks, like Pod.

GRRM: You're sending Pod to Dorne?

Dan: No Pod is going to be in the north with Brie following Sansa who is going to marry Ramsey.

Dave: Yeah Jaime is the one in Dorne with Bronn. Dude read a book.

GRRM: Wait why is Sansa in the North, are you planning on Jaime and Bronn having sex?

Dan: Jaime and Bronn having sex???

D&D: Genius! That's why you are the master George.

GRRM: Wait! What? No! What are you doing to my story.

D&D: We call it shock and awe.

Dave: Yeah everyone loves it.

Dan: Everyone.

D&D: Oh and you are so welcome, we are happy to make your story so much better.

Dan: Way better.

Dave: Totally.

Dan: Hey you want to fire Ian?

Dave: Yes! But can we do an interview first and insult, and then fire him for thinking Barristan is part of the story?

Dan: Yes! Stupid book reader Ian thought Barry had more to do.

Dave:What an idiot. We are so awesome.

Dan: Yes we are.

GRRM: Oh shit, write faster George, write faster.

LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Thanks for showing up, this post has made the checking back in worth the while. I loved it all, but my fav might be the bolded, might be.........but why limit myself. :lmao:

In "defense" of D&D, it's established that Pod doesn't have a super large penis. According to Ros' conversation with Varys, it's what he does with it that is so amazing. So amazing that the women at the brothel totally give him a freebie. Maybe he taught these powers to Tyrion, as he also seems to be capable of being so super awesome that he warrants a freebie. So, at least they're consistent in this?

The rest of this is sadly spot on, and also hilarious

Back in the day........we used to call this: Not necessarily the size of the wave.......but the motion of the ocean. :leer:

ETA: Although, A Girl......would NEVER complain if someone had BOTH, one.........two.......BOTH.

That's why Craster gave his sons to the WW and married his daughters :ack: :P to avoid confusion

I think that makes it worse... being your own aunt is just awkward.

And these posts...........made the whole inheritance fiasco worth the trouble. :lmao: :thumbsup:

So, this article generated some comments - nothing much - but I thought this one was interesting:

"Reading this article gave another interesting angel to the GOT experience.. Clearly there is a divide between viewers of the show who have read the books and those who have not.. I have not read the books along with people in my circle and perception we had so far of current season is that episodes were sluggish and stories seemed to be going no where, like producers were letting Martin some breathing room to write up the next volume."

My point is, is it possible that the show will lose show viewers only before (if ever) it loses book readers who love the show? I can see this happening, especially if the story [the show is trying to tell, whatever that might be] continues on this path of making less and less sense with each passing week.

ETA: the article -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/05/03/hbo-shouldnt-rush-game-of-thrones/?utm_source=alertsnewcomment&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20150506#comments

Anytime somebody refers to their own circle of friends as an indicator for a larger message, that will always fall flat. Too small of a sample size.

Archived