2016/17 TV Upfronts/Pilots/New Series

AncalagonTheBlack

What about HBO? Leftovers season II and that's it?

By most popular show were you talking about AMC's Breaking Bad?

The Night Manager is scheduled for 2016 apparently. As is Preacher.

HBO's been extremely disappointing lately for me, I only made it 4.5 episodes into The Leftovers, so I don't even have season 2 of that to look forward to.  Hopefully Westworld will be good, because it's the only upcoming HBO show that I'm interested in watching at this point.

It is nearly 2016 ;) 

The Walking Dead.

Bingo.

Walking Dead, didn't even consider it as I lost interest in that one years ago. Still going strong in ratings I guess.

What is cool though is that Preacher and American Gods are currently both slated to arrive in 2016. Hopefuly Fuller will make that target date. I guess that Westworld plus Game of Thrones season 6 are the series I am currently most interested in. Though I may not watch season 6 until Winds of Winter is out...

Walking Dead, didn't even consider it as I lost interest in that one years ago. Still going strong in ratings I guess.

What is cool though is that Preacher and American Gods are currently both slated to arrive in 2016. Hopefuly Fuller will make that target date. I guess that Westworld plus Game of Thrones season 6 are the series I am currently most interested in. Though I may not watch season 6 until Winds of Winter is out...

I've given up on Martin. I'll watch season 6, get spoiled where I'm spoiled and see what is different with what Martin does in TWOW. I just have no expectation TWOW will ever come out.

I've given up on Martin. I'll watch season 6, get spoiled where I'm spoiled and see what is different with what Martin does in TWOW. I just have no expectation TWOW will ever come out.

Fair. And I may not be able to hold out watching once season 6 does come around.
It is going to contain so many massive spoilers though.
If Martin looks like he will publish in 2016, I will hold. If not, I will just watch it and see Winds whenever it comes out. Now would be time for George to positively surprise though, I'd much rather read the novel first.

If i've learned anything about myself, it's that id rather see something NOT get made rather than be given an uninspired, boring product. So if TWOW never comes out cause George can't be inspired to do it, so be it, plenty of other good authors out there.

Black Sails, be here soon.

Sky1/NBC’s ‘You, Me & The Apocalypse’

Rob Lowe fronted dramedy series You, Me & The Apocalypse, which is set to premiere on Wednesday September 30th at 9pm on Sky1 and later on NBC as a mid-season entry in the 2015–16 television season.

Created by Iain Hollands, You, Me & The Apocalypse is a comedy drama about the last days of mankind. The series follows an eclectic group of seemingly unconnected characters around the world as their lives start to intersect in the most unexpected ways. All triggered by the news that a comet is on an unavoidable collision course towards earth. Some of them are destined to make it to a bunker deep beneath the suburbs of Slough, and as a result will become the future of mankind.

The ten episode series is produced by Working Title Television and Bigballs Films in association with US network NBC and stars Rob Lowe (The West Wing, 30 Rock), Jenna Fischer (The Office), Megan Mullally (Will and Grace), Mathew Baynton (Yonderland),Pauline Quirke (Birds of a Feather), Patterson Joseph (Peep Show) and Joel Fry (Game of Thrones). The executive producers are Juliette Howell, Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Lynn Horsford  for Working Title TV, Andrew Conrad for Bigballs Films, and Cameron Roach and Lizzie Gray for Sky.

Trailers/clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlMJtes4aV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7UQ1lgV1Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnFTbj7QyBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnI4nDA8kY

• 1 month later...

Irvine Welsh Adapting English Version of Swedish Hit ‘Torpederna’

Anonymous Content and Paramount TV are developing Legbreakers, an English-language version of the hit Swedish drama Torpederna. The original series airs on Sweden’s TV4, where it has proved a ratings juggernaut.

Novelist, playwright and short-story writer Irvine Welsh (Trainspotting) will adapt the series, originally created by Swedish director Jakob Ström, with Fredrik Bond (Charlie Countryman) attached to direct and also serve as executive producer of the pilot and series. Legbreakers centers on Sonny, an ex-con who, after six years in prison and keeping a secret relationship with his social worker girlfriend, has a tough time finding a real job in a world that tempts him to return to his gangster roots.

Sky1/NBC’s ‘You, Me & The Apocalypse’

Rob Lowe fronted dramedy series You, Me & The Apocalypse, which is set to premiere on Wednesday September 30th at 9pm on Sky1 and later on NBC as a mid-season entry in the 2015–16 television season.

Trailers/clips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlMJtes4aV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7UQ1lgV1Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnFTbj7QyBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnI4nDA8kY

Grinder, Moonbeam City, now this. Does Rob Lowe ever sleep?

Grinder, Moonbeam City, now this. Does Rob Lowe ever sleep?

Given what I think about "Grinder", I believe he should then take more sleep...

BTW, anyone watched "Flesh and Bone"? It's been a while since a good ballet programming. 

• 2 weeks later...

BBC One/FX Co-Production ‘Taboo’:Tom Hardy Fronted Period Drama

Production on Taboo is now underway in London for a 2016 premiere on BBC One in the UK and FX in the United States.

Taboo follows James Keziah Delaney (Hardy), a rogue adventurer who returns from Africa with 14 ill-gotten diamonds to seek vengeance after the death of his father. Refusing to sell the family business to the East India Company, he sets out to build his own trade and shipping empire and finds himself playing a very dangerous game.

Michael Kelly (House Of Cards), Oona Chaplin (The Crimson Field), Jonathan Pryce (Game Of Thrones) and David Hayman (Macbeth) have signed on for co-starring roles opposite Tom Hardy (Peaky Blinders) in the eight period drama from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight

Tom Hardy was previously set as series lead James Keziah Delaney. Michael Kelly has been cast as American doctor Dumbarton; Oona Chaplin as Zilpha Geary James’s half-sister; Jonathan Pryce as Sir Stuart Strange, the head of the East India Company and Delaney’s nemesis; and David Hayman (Macbeth, The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas) as Brace, Delaney’s trusted man-servant.

Rounding out the cast is Jessie Buckley (Shades of Love) as Lorna Bow; Ashley Walters (Bullet Boy) as a dangerous face from James’s years in Africa; Jefferson Hall (Vikings) as Thorne Geary; Ed Hogg (Anonymous) as Godfrey; Leo Bill (Alice in Wonderland) as Wilton; Christopher Fairbank (Hercules) as Ibbotson; Richard Dixon (Mr Turner) as Pettifer; Jason Watkins (Nativity) as Solomon Coop, the Prince Regent’s right-hand man and Spy Master; and Nicholas Woodeson (The Living and the Dead) as lawyer Thoyt.

For anyone who liked "er" in the early years, watch Code Black. It's really an excellent medical show, I think the true successor to er. I can't recommend it enough.

For comparison I watched the premiere of Chicago Med last week and it seemed to take most of what made er corny and tedious in the later seasons and just continue with that.

For anyone who liked "er" in the early years, watch Code Black. It's really an excellent medical show, I think the true successor to er. I can't recommend it enough.

For comparison I watched the premiere of Chicago Med last week and it seemed to take most of what made er corny and tedious in the later seasons and just continue with that.

I still haven't seen "Chicago Med", but I agree on "Code Black"... It is truly great medical show. It perhaps lacks a bit of dynamics you would expect of an ER in code black but it truly shows how mundane the job can be. And the thing is that this is the first "real" medical show in quite some time. Greys anatomy is soap-opera happening in hospital, "House M.D." was Sherlockesque show with bigger-than-life personality of Gregory House. "Code Black" on the other hand is mostly about the medicine. And I like that.

As for the new shows this year, the best would be: Jessica Jones, Masters of None and I am still deciding on Limitless, Quantico and Flesh and Bone.

EXCLUSIVE: HBO Eyes J.K. Rowling’s New BBC Series ‘The Cormoran Strike Mysteries’

HBO is set to re-team with the BBC for a new J.K. Rowling drama. Sources tell TVWise that the premium cable network is circling BBC One’s The Cormoran Strike Mysteries, based on the Harry Potter author’s Cormoran Strike novel series (published under the pen name Robert Galbraith), with plans to board as a co-producer.

Assuming the deal closes and HBO does in fact board as a co-producer (sources close to the project tell me that they will), this would mark the second such BBC drama from Rowling that the network has co-produced. Last year, just as pre-production was getting into full swing, HBO signed on to co-produce the three-part adaptation of Rowling’s The Casual Vacancy. Representatives of HBO did not immediately respond to TVWise’s request for comment.

The drama series, which is eyed for a 2016 premiere, is based on the first two Cormoran Strike novels, The Cuckoo’s Calling and The Silkworm.

BBC's Troy: The Fall of a City 

The BBC will seek to rival the acclaimed fantasy drama Game of Thrones with its own swords and sandals epic retelling the 10-year siege of Troy.The new drama is expected to air next year.

Troy: Fall Of A City is described as a “visceral retelling” of the Trojan war and a “drama for our times” unlike anything seen before on BBC1.

The post-watershed series will also be one of the corporation’s most expensive, with a price tag of about £2m an episode, met by both the BBC and the drama’s co-production partners.

Hmm, wasn't The Last Kingdom also advertised in comparison with GoT? Or was that just unofficial media and so on? Either way, looks interesting. 

Looking forward to A Midsummer Nights Dream that is also mentioned in the article. BBC are pretty good with things like that.

Actually as a whole bBC have had some great stuff this year,especially their miniseries that have been on recently. Amd of course, eagerly anticipating War and Peace!

Archived