Mad Men Season 7 (Spoilers): Who are you supposed to be?

Spring Bass

80's Mad Men, please, so we can all see a coked-up middle aged Pete Campbell.

And maybe Cosgrove's novel can be adapted for the big screen by some David Lynch-type character.

Was the idea that Don returned to advertising and created that coke ad at the end? Or was that a real ad?

That was a real ad and not only Coca-Cola's but one of advertising history's most famous. So Don got the idea for it at the retreat. Because that's who he is, an ad man - Mad Men no matter what.

And when it ended the only thing that popped into my head was:

"of course"

Was the idea that Don returned to advertising and created that coke ad at the end? Or was that a real ad?

If you read my last comment I actually said this.

BUT....

... my wife says "no" and I believe her. Basically, the episode was how everyone on the show can go on just fine without Don Drapper- Rodger can get married; JOan can start a business; Peggy can find love and Sally can be a mother...

... and Dick Whitman can go on being anybody. Nobody. Everyone.

And just like all those characters can go on without Don Draper- even Dick Whitman - so can advertising; Advertising - and Coca Cola - can all do just fine without Don Draper. All of that can happen without him.

That was a real ad and not only Coca-Cola's but one of advertising history's most famous. So Don got the idea for it at the retreat. Because that's who he is, an ad man - Mad Men no matter what.

And when it ended the only thing that popped into my head was:

"of course"

That was my take as well. Wonder how the actual person who designed it feels about Don Draper stealing his idea. :lol:

Well...

Happy endings all around I suppose.

It was a very good ending. I do wish Pete and Trudy went down in plane crash, just for the irony, but I quite enjoyed the finish.

Though it didn't have a line as good as 'The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant.'.

That was my take as well. Wonder how the actual person who designed it feels about Don Draper stealing his idea. :lol:

Yeah, Rockroi's (or his wife's) theory makes just as much sense, the way the ending made it kind of ambiguous, the people who actually wrote it, who really did work for McCann-Erikson, might be happy to get attention for the ad again.

But I like the idea of while everything changes, the people around him, the world, everything and no matter what soul quests Don/Dick goes on, no matter how many times he tries to find himself, root out who he is, deep down, Don Draper will always be a Mad Men and coming up for ideas for selling something will always take priority on what's on his mind so he did write the Coca-Cola ad.

Well...

Happy endings all around I suppose.

I don't know what I was expecting. Maybe I had built the finale up too much in my mind, but I was left with a bit of a "meh" feeling.

But the ending doesn't ruin the total experience. Loved the show as a whole and I'm sorry to see it end.

Man, there's so much to unpack about this episode.

For starters, it's called Person To Person (which is mentioned by the calling service when Don calls Betty). Now obviously, many of the most important and dramatic moments in this episode happened over the phone, though the trend was notably broken with Peggy and Stan (realizing they were so close all along, blah blah blah). But we see how this idea of connection between people would, naturally, go a little deeper with Don. This is shown early on during the scene at the commune where they were all trying to express themselves without words. Don is ALL words. He can't even begin to do the exercise, and is instead looking around the room at the other people like they're aliens.

Later, over the phone, Don basically "opens up" completely to Peggy, probably more so than ever in his life, to the point that he seems to have a panic attack. Ironically, Peggy ends up brushing him aside to an extent, particularly as she too opened up with Stan over the phone not moments after (I like that when Stan went to her office, instead of bursting in like you expect, the door was open all along).

Then we come to what is basically the climax of the episode, wherein a completely unknown character reveals what seem to be his deepest fears, anxieties, etc. Note that the man's dream is styled almost like an ad pitch, though disturbingly inverted. Something obviously resonates here with Don, which seems to be the simple idea that everyone back in NYC actually loves him and wants him there...even though most of the characters seemed ultimately accepting of the fact that disappearing was just something Don did (aside from Betty, who actually actively wanted him to stay away).

Regardless, something clicked there with Don and the man (I think Leonard was his name?) at the end, since it was finally the "person to person" contact Don needed. It doesn't even have to be about their similar mental/emotional situations, but merely about Don being supremely, completely vulnerable and exposed, and then sharing that feeling with another person on a real level. And it turned out to be a complete stranger.

The brilliance of the ending is that it's both figuratively and literally trying to sell you happiness. No matter what, Don achieved that in the end. Maybe happiness is too broad, but at the very least he learned something that seems very important about himself. We'll never know exactly what that was (otherwise the secret to happiness would there for everyone...), but we're left to create Don's ending for ourselves. Did he go home, realize the love that he was never accepting, and go on to create one of the most well-known ads of all time? Or did he have a very different type of catharsis in realizing that he was perfectly fine with being a nomad and realized that was his true self? Does it matter?

Either way, the show ends with an ad trying to sell you the concept that everyone in the world is singing hand-in-hand and everything's perfect and great...because of Coca-Cola. I'm not sure what I like more: the image of Don pitching that ad and selling it, or the one of him watching it on TV and being glad he had nothing to do with it.

I don't know, I have tons more I could say but I need to digest it some more.

One other thought occurred to me. Is there any meaning in Joan and Captain Pike doing "coke" other than the 80's are coming? Is it anything to do with foreshadowing the end of the episode about a product called "Coke" ending the series? Or is it just coincidence that there's two things with the same name being used in the show?

I don't think anything's a coincidence in this episode. Later, Peggy literally yells at Don, "Don't you want to do Coke? COME HOME."

Another thing I read elsewhere, which is a brilliant connection, is that at the end Don is first shown looking out over the Pacific Ocean, in a rather stereotypical "ending shot", then cuts to him sitting with his back to the West coast (the old part of himself, the Dick Whitman part) while he was facing East. The guru dude says "to forget about past lives, accept a new you" (or something along those lines). Dick accepts himself as Don.

YASSSSSS STAN/PEGGY 4EVAH! I've been shipping them since Stan stopped being such a douchebag. I thought they might go with Stan/Peggy when 1) she told him about giving up her baby for adoption and he was very accepting and supportive and 2) Stan implied he'd broken up with Elaine.

I will miss Peggy and her socially awkward ways. "All I want to do is be with you." "What? What did you just say? "I want to be with you. I'm in love with you." "WHAT?"

Roger and Marie were surprisingly cute together.

Trudy looked so fucking fabulous in the scene where they were boarding the jet.

The Pete/Peggy scene hit just the right note. Loved it.

It kind of felt like everyone got a happy ending except Betty and Sally.

Archived