Does Bloodraven deserve our sympathy?

IdoTheChoombi

so, does the blackwood bastard deserve our sympathy? did he stay loyal to daeron because he thought it is the right thing to do, or just because he hated aegor?

*and other questions about bloodraven's morality*

Note: we all know bloodraven is a badass, i'm not trying to open that discussion, denying his badassery is equivalent to thinking Joffrey was a fair and wise leader and none of the four pretenders were in their right to question his *divine* right.

for me his main(only?) redeeming quality was his loyalty (to Targs).

But now I am starting to doubt that. He was in a position of great power when Targs started dying in suspicious ways(Maekar doesn't even remember killing Bealor…). He said he watched over Bran, that he saw his birth, Ned birth, that he can enter dreams. So i guess he could also enter Rhaegar dreams and that he could watched him too. Maybe he tried heping him and the rest of his family, but it doesn’t seem so. I'm definitely oversimplifying the whole thing, but I doubt he has good intentions.

But yeah, he is an awesome character.

for me his main(only?) redeeming quality was his loyalty (to Targs).

one can doubt his reasons for it, i think aegor being daemon's right hand was a bigger factor than selfless loyalty to daeron.

But now I am starting to doubt that. He was in a position of great power when Targs started dying in suspicious ways(Maekar doesn't even remember killing Bealor…).

nah, i doubt that, maekar was in a battle frenzy, didn't jaime and tyrion also mention they don't quite remembering what they did in battle hours?

Dearon, Aemon and Naerys liked his mum, and he was allowed to stay in court even when Aegon got tired of her. So maybe he was genuinely grateful and maybe he even loved him. Targs treated him with great respect. They gave him Dark sister, position in court, they let him de facto rule. Aegor would probably put an end to this. So, BR had all the reasons in this world to back Targs. A last greenseer, three-eyed crow, being a tree is position of great power. But having a god for a cousin didn't help Targs in the end. Like I said I'm definitely oversimplifying the whole thing, but it is strange.

But it’s not just Bealor. Aelor also died in some wierd way.

I'm not a Bloodraven fan.

What kind of Hand lets the Ironborn ravage the western coast while conserving his strength for a potential threat from Essos? It's like letting a house fire burn unchecked because the water will ruin its contents.

He's Tyrion with magic. And we know Tyrion is still addicted to the game of thrones.

The question is, does Bloodraven keeps on playing, especially now that Bittersteel is back in Westeros as a golden grinning skull, or does he care more about the threat of the Others?

He's Tyrion with magic. And we know Tyrion is still addicted to the game of thrones.

The question is, does Bloodraven keeps on playing, especially now that Bittersteel is back in Westeros as a golden grinning skull, or does he care more about the threat of the Others?

I think he sees Others is more dangerous than Golden Company. After he went (sent) to wall he become the man he is now.

I don't see why he doesn't deserve it. For me he was a great character from the beginning. Especially when he killed the Blackfyre, he knew that the wars would continue if he was alive and he knew that he risked his life by doing that. But he did it anyway.

BR admittedly did do some morally grey things (like killing his nephews and brother in battle), and extra-judicially killing his nephew, Aenys, after promising safe conduct. He did nothing to alleviate the grey plague and the drought, and dragged his feet with Dagon Greyjoy. However, he did what he did to keep peace in the realm, and he did look after his late brother's house. He is also working to save the realm from the incoming Long Night. His problem is being a end-justifies-the-means kind of guy.

No. Why should we feel sympathy? He never showed any regret for any of his actions, as far as we know. I am his number one fan but I'm the first one to admit that he was ambitious. He had his ambitions satisfied. He occupied the second top seat in Westeros. He got the girl. Why, he even got the king whom he beat for a Hand to keep him as a Hand. His life was a good one. He didn't spend 12 years in the black cells as we thought and when he went to the end of the world, he didn't stay your average black brother but the boss of everyone around.

Why does he need sympathy?

While I believe that there's no black and white characters in GRRM's world, except for Black Gregor the Black, not everyone is torn by moral conflicts. Bloodraven seems to be one of the lucky ones whose feeling of right and wrong coincided with his own inclinations. To him, everything looks clear-cut, I'd say, and he acts accodingly. No great personal conflict.

Archived