Careerchat

Inigima

Hoping for the best Ini!

Still kind of bitter on your behalf about the process. Seems to be dragging out way longer than necessary. Whenever we deal with internal interview and decisions at my company i hammer my hiring manager to move quickly. There are no mysteries about the candidates so the decisions should be clear, made quickly and communicated right away.

I was kind of hoping you guys would have some thoughts on what the meeting is.

It could be any of the things you described, although I would lean toward optimism in your situation. I would think that the first meeting the boss schedules once the decision is made would be the one to inform the chosen candidate that they have the job.

I was kind of hoping you guys would have some thoughts on what the meeting is.

Impossible to tell from the information. Given your current situation, if you did not get the role you would be owed a courtesy meeting before any public announcement. So the existence of the meeting doesn't tell me anything new by itself. If you did get the role, then obviously he would set up a meeting like this. I don't know your boss or the culture of your firm to infer anything more.

Stay positive. Act managerial for another couple of days. Good luck.

Good luck with your meeting, Ini. Sending positive vibes your way!

I just got off the phone with the two guys who are currently in the role on the East coast. They called an hour early so I was still in my pajamas but it was a pleasant conversation nonetheless. I was a little confused because my meeting invite was for one hour and the guy taking the lead said "well I see its 10:26 and we only have a half hour scheduled, so if you have any questions for us, now's the time." It felt kind of rushed and if I knew we only had 30 minutes I would have cut out some of the chitchat! OTOH, the point of this call was for them to get an idea of how I would fit in with the team so I suppose the chitchat was useful.

Now I wait. Again.

Are there any career changers out there? [snip]

Has anyone else made a big jump down like this? Any experiences with establishing yourself in a second career?

I'm not sure this is what you want to hear - but I made a big jump down to a career I thought I would prefer, and I hated it and quit before 6 months (which did not prevent me from getting a higher paying job in my original field).

I'm a software developer and I took a job as a consultant in information solutions. The job description sounded appealing - it was a company in environmental planning with services in risk analysis, sustainability analysis, etc. I have a Master's degree in math and had at the time worked professionally for about six years. The big problem and the reason that I couldn't stay was that my education and experience were undervalued. They wanted me to start at the same position as someone leaving undergrad with no work experience. My mistake was that they convinced me that my job skills wouldn't qualify me to come in at a higher level and it was necessary for everyone who wasn't in the industry to start at entry level.

I was doing data entry and spreadsheet reports, barely learning anything about client needs and not utilizing any of my preexisting skills in analysis. My boss was amazed, just amazed, that I'd picked up VBA "programming" to format Excel spreadsheets in just a few days, even though she was two levels higher up and couldn't do it as well as I could. I found out that several people at higher levels were also spending a lot of time on spreadsheet reports, so there wasn't necessarily anything to look forward to even if I could be promoted. I feel like I had a lot to offer them and a lot I could have learned from them but their idea of where and how people should fit in was so rigid that it was going to be between months and years before I could leverage any opportunities. (I also found out at the end of my time there that they'd been hiring faster than they had projects available, so they had some veteran employees on the bench willing to pick up lower level tasks in order to have something to do). The last piece was that I'd wanted a more client facing role (something that I made clear when applying) and I ended up even more isolated than I was in development - projects weren't grouped by office, and my coworkers weren't all that social, so I talked on the phone a few times a day with another coworker, ate lunch at my desk by myself and had no opportunity to collaborate in person. I jumped ship and haven't regretted it.

Didn't get it. Pretty upset.

So I'll take this opportunity to say: I'm officially seeking a new employer if anyone is looking. I'm based in the Baltimore metro area and need to stay local because of my girlfriend. I have 8 years this month in IT, mostly in an unusual generalist "fixer" sort of role; I work with both low-level users and the leadership of the organization, and while I do do some break-fix stuff, it's just one facet. I have broad-but-shallow exposure to a lot of different technology; to get really in-depth on something I'd need time to get up to speed, but am good at learning. I'm a problem-solver -- I'm good at finding the pieces that need to come together and putting them there.

Ideally I want to move toward project management. I have some experience with it but not formally -- I've done requirements gathering, analysis and recommendations, scheduling, coordinating vendors, all that stuff, but I've never, say, made a Gantt chart. I can also step into a leadership role directing support staff, like a team lead or a manager, but have no experience with the financial side. As with most things one hasn't had the opportunity to do, I'd need to learn those gaps, but am good at learning.

I'm neurotically well-organized, I play well with others, I don't cause HR problems with dumb pranks or sexual harassment or anything like that. If you think you have an opportunity for me I'd love to know about it.

I'm sorry but not surprised, if this is the same place you've been working. Honestly, it seems like they've been yanking your chain for a long time now, and I hope you land somewhere that they value your abilities instead of trying to wring you dry. I wish you were considering other locations since I know several tech recruiters, but I'm sure you'll land on your feet!

I'm so sorry Ini. Dumb decision by them.

I think you're right to look for another opportunity.

My firm's IT and tech group is all in Chicago suburbs. Does Baltimore have much available? Would gf consider moving with you.

Are they offering you any sweetener to placate you, e.g. a career-boosting part time post grad? This is a good time to ask.

No, they aren't. It's a bit complicated but basically it's government so there isn't that much they could do even if they wanted to.

Baltimore has pretty good tech opportunities but the move I want to make is a hard one.

GF probably won't want to move. She has a big family all in the area, and a house.

Ini, that really blows. I'm sorry it turned out this way. It does sound like the right time to explore other options. You could possibly expand your network by joining some tech-related, Baltimore-specific groups on LinkedIn.

Archived