Careerchat

Inigima

No, they aren't. It's a bit complicated but basically it's government so there isn't that much they could do even if they wanted to.

Baltimore has pretty good tech opportunities but the move I want to make is a hard one.

GF probably won't want to move. She has a big family all in the area, and a house.

Sorry to hear about not getting the job. I know several people that commute from Baltimore to DC for work. It's a crappy commute but may open additional job opportunities, especially if you are looking to continue with the government.

Good luck.

If it's government, can you transfer to a different agency? I've heard that as difficult as it can be to get a government job, that once one has one it's not so difficult to transfer to another agency.

Original Boss Guy was in town tonight and we had dinner. I'm super frustrated by what he told me...Sales Director listened to my presentation, talked to me for an hour, then said to him "she answered every question perfectly, we need to hire her". Then the reorg happened.

I still haven't heard from New Boss Lady. I will follow up with her tomorrow at 1pm eastern with a "let's schedule a time to talk about next steps" message.

Fuck this shit.i feel like this is partly a test about whether I can close a deal or not. Challenge accepted.

No, they aren't. It's a bit complicated but basically it's government so there isn't that much they could do even if they wanted to.

Baltimore has pretty good tech opportunities but the move I want to make is a hard one.

GF probably won't want to move. She has a big family all in the area, and a house.

Sorry to hear that, but there'll be other opportunities for you. You're just that kind of guy! :)

ALWAYS ask what the hiring decision was based on. It's amazing how much you learn by just asking this simple question.

Onward and upward!

Fuck this shit.i feel like this is partly a test about whether I can close a deal or not. Challenge accepted.

Sales professionals are much better prepared than everyone else for pursuing new jobs. Good luck.

If you had that kind of support from the sales director then I would expect you are still getting the job once new lady has had a chance to bond with you so that it does not feel like you are being foisted on her. Is there a way for you to meet her person, e.g. over dinner or drinks, to help build that rapport?

Ini, if it's the government organization I remember you working for before, you're almost certainly better off working for someone else. Especially if your IT department is anything like the one I'm familiar with. Good luck.

My school year is over, but I'm working for the district doing curriculum development this week. They are providing lunch and I'm leaving at the end of my contractual hours with no work to take home. It's...amazing. What is this madness? Maybe I will apply to work in this office in a couple years if the stress of my regular job starts getting to me.

I'm getting to meet other physics teachers and hear about how their schools are functional/dysfunctional, and it's making me realize that while my school has its horribly dysfunctional aspects, we actually had a somewhat decent science budget this year compared to the $2/student that some other high schools' departments got this year. Every time I have a stressful day at work, I think about going to work at another school, but now I'm thinking I wouldn't want to go back to such a small budget. Ugh. Has anyone here ever made a job decision based on whether you were getting the resources you needed to actually do your job?

Kat, it is the same one.

And I haven't had to make that call but I have seriously thought about that question and yes, one of the questions I would want to ask in any interview is whether my department gets the resources it needs to do its job properly. You can't straight up ask that, of course, because they're just going to say yes. But it's a question I'd want an answer to.

(Working in IT, I would also want to know the department's status relative to others -- are they represented in senior leadership, do they have a seat at the table. Because too often IT is seen as a cost center, and with that mindset they often have decisions made about them without their input. But that doesn't apply to you.)

Sales professionals are much better prepared than everyone else for pursuing new jobs. Good luck.

If you had that kind of support from the sales director then I would expect you are still getting the job once new lady has had a chance to bond with you so that it does not feel like you are being foisted on her. Is there a way for you to meet her person, e.g. over dinner or drinks, to help build that rapport?

This is definitely something I've been thinking about - how to bond with her a bit more. She lives on the east coast and I'm in SF and I don't know her travel schedule so I'm not sure if an in-person meeting is feasible. I'm mentally drafting my "let's schedule a time to talk about my interview with the team members" message which I will send at 1:10pm her time...you've got me thinking of proposing we do it over FaceTime or Skype, which sounds like a pretty good idea for a few reasons. We will get a little face-to-face time, and it demonstrates my ability to make use of technology to connect with people.

Well, after a week of anxiety and depression over radio silence, yesterday at 3 pm I received an email saying "we would like to move forward with you as our lead candidate for this role". We have a 30 minute phone call set up for Monday which I'm hoping is when we will work out the details of an offer. Original Boss Guy told me she is already talking about my onboarding so I think this might actually happen.

It is good enough news that I did celebratory shots last night but I'm saving the Dom for when the offer letter is signed.

So are you taking your talents to Boston, then?

Archived