Cricket 28: Come back KP, all is forgiven!

ljkeane

Classy 50 for Bell.

I imagine it's a lot less pressurised batting when the opposition have been bundled out for not very many but the rejigged batting order looks good so far.

ETA: Bollocks. That was the kiss of death.

50 for Rogers. That's quietly a really good effort. He's had a few difficulties and England are bowling really well but he's stuck in there.

It was a terrible day for Australia but they must at least be grateful that Rogers was able to play. If he'd been replaced by Shaun Marsh would they even have reached 100?

Great bowling from Anderson, in these sort of conditions he's probably the best in the world and good to see Finn back bowling well.

Bloody hell Lyth. He's clearly reined himself in a bit today in response to the way he's struggled, then he manages to get to double figures and flashes at a wide one. Not a good sign.

It was a very poor shot. I know he's being given a difficult job to do but with only one decent innings in 5 Tests it's really looking like he's not ready for test cricket.

Nice to see Ian Bell back in form. Admittedly, he did get out to a stupid shot but that's what Bell usually does when he's in good form.

Yeah that was a gift from Bell. Gives Australia a real chance if they can keep England to about a 100-run lead and then bat (a lot) more solidly than the first innings.

But yes, this is a much better wicket and should really be the norm for an Ashes series in England. I am dead sick of pitches designed to make a test match last to the fifth day.

Side-note: Maybe Ballance should've been given a shot as an opener? Lyth looks truly awful, and at least Ballance showed some grit at Cardiff.

What is the collective noun for shit shots?  I think we should make one up.

Insert the collective noun as appropriate:

"The Australian team, frustrated by excellent, accurate bowling by England, managed to deliver a _______________ of shit shots to contribute to their poor 1st innings total".

I propose:  "a Watson".

A flush of shit (shots)?

I think collapses in overseas conditions are just the norm for this Australian side. For England, it's just the norm regardless of conditions :frown5:.

Apart from those chest  of God catches i think we are looking at the last wreckage of the titanic. Still full credits to Finn and James to make the boys in green and gold looked like they were playing lawn bowls instead of cricket, 

England well on top and it doesn't look good with the second day usually being the best for batting. If I were them, I'd bat patiently, comfortably accumulate a massive lead and not have to bat again. There's no need for them to force the pace at all.

Ha not sure I've ever seen Buttler strike at 30 before.

Root gone as well now - looks like a very slender lead for the hosts. Feel sorry for Jimmy and co to be bowling again after such a good day yesterday.

Lead is 55 and 3 wickets in hand, match is getting a bit closer again.

Buttler's non-review was interesting. Wouldn't have figured it would be missing over the top, but it seems to me that it's a problem with spinners in general - ball-tracking tends to imply a lot of deliveries from spinners would be bouncing over the top.

While I feel for the England fans, I am glad to see this match actually look competitive again. Was afraid we were going to get another blow out.

Don't know why you feel bad for the poms, they are still ahead! And considering how well the poms bowled, they would like their chances to go at the aussie batters again!

Archived