Cricket 28: Come back KP, all is forgiven!

ljkeane

I've only just caught up with the score but I see England have buggered this up. They're still not in a bad position but at almost level pegging for 2 wickets down on day one they should have been in a pretty unassailable position at this stage.

ETA: Smith getting out puts them in a better position.

Whichever way it goes I wouldn't be feeling too good about this if I had tickets for Saturday.

Doesn't really matter now.

Finn's had a great return to test cricket. I thought he'd be ok but, to be honest, I did think his ability to produce at this level was a thing of the past.

ETA: I feel a bit bad for the groundsmen at Edgebaston. They've produced by far the best pitch and they're going to lose a load of money.

This is annoying.  It looks like they will NOT wrap this up before the close of play today.  Was really hoping that they would.  Just need another Finn moment to take another wicket and I guess we could conceivably see an English "run chase" of about 50 or so before tonight.

I fully expect Australia to score 400 and England to collapse. It's the nature of the world since the Fall. 

This is England we're talking about so I'm not going to risk saying anything about this prediction yet.

Finn's had a great return to test cricket. I thought he'd be ok but, to be honest, I did think his ability to produce at this level was a thing of the past.

Even Mark Wood probably doesn't feel too bad about his ankle ruling him out of the game now. Finn did bowl brilliantly.

Anderson potentially being injured for the next Test is a concern for England (especially playing at a ground that should really have suited him), but Finn's form should make up for it a bit and hopefully Wood will be fit.

I think the batting should still be a concern for England even if their bowling is performing well. Lyth and Buttler both seem in hopeless form. I'd be tempted to drop Buttler and let Bairstow keep wicket, maybe bringing in James Taylor in the middle order. Still not sure what the best option for opener would be.

Australia must surely make at least some change after a hapless performance with the bat. Unfortunately for them they don't have many useful options other than bringing in Shaun Marsh for someone (Voges would probably be the most vulnerable). I don't know if there are any Australian batsmen currently playing country cricket who are in good form?

ETA: I feel a bit bad for the groundsmen at Edgebaston. They've produced by far the best pitch and they're going to lose a load of money.

They're probably about the only English people happy that the play wasn't wrapped up today, they'll still lose out a lot on Saturday but they should get their money for Friday.

I think the batting should still be a concern for England even if their bowling is performing well. Lyth and Buttler both seem in hopeless form. I'd be tempted to drop Buttler and let Bairstow keep wicket, maybe bringing in James Taylor in the middle order. Still not sure what the best option for opener would be.

Yeah, there's been a bit in it for the bowlers but I don't think it's been a bad pitch to bat on by any means. Australia have been pretty terrible with the bat but England as a unit haven't been particularly good either. Although, to be fair, I have just seen how Bairstow and Stokes got out and they were a couple of nasty deliveries.

It wouldn't be completely unreasonable but I can't see them dropping Buttler though. He's had a poor series but he's been really good up to then and he's got so much ability I think they'll stick with him. You'd have to think Ali will get bumped up to seven at this point though.

Yeah, there's been a bit in it for the bowlers but I don't think it's been a bad pitch to bat on by any means. Australia have been pretty terrible with the bat but England as a unit haven't been particularly good either. Although, to be fair, I have just seen how Bairstow and Stokes got out and they were a couple of nasty deliveries.

Yes, I wouldn't criticise either of them too much since I think Johnson could have got most batsmen out with those deliveries and they were both fairly new at the crease. When Johnson bowled that over I did have visions of him ripping through England and them getting a paltry lead.

Well this match is almost over. Aussies pulling an England again. Hoping for a bit of a tail wag from the Aussies so the bowlers have something to bowl at.

Voges haven't worked out so far. Shaun Marsh would be a good bet to come in next game. Clarke should be dropped, but hard to think of a replacement batter...

Given that England only seem to play well in odd-numbered Tests this summer, I think it was a wise decision to schedule 7 matches. I look forward to their Ashes-winning victory at The Oval making up for their pathetic defeat in the next match.

Voges haven't worked out so far. Shaun Marsh would be a good bet to come in next game. Clarke should be dropped, but hard to think of a replacement batter...

They could always recall Watson... :leaving:

Archived