Is it just me or has Lena Headley's performance been too weak this season?

zeppelincheetah

On that account I do disagree, because I find the book vs. show on this one to be firmly on the show ground. 

Cersei is a much more layered character on the show, to begin with, but it's the book Cersei that seems completely irrational in creating that complex and convoluted plot that led to the same ends.  I kept thinking when reading the books, "Are you really that dumb?" LOL.  The plot was so far-fetched and involved so many people and so many obvious lies that if I didn't know better, I would have thought she was like a Lindsay Lohan who just misbehaves to get negative attention and wants to get caught.

The show, on the other hand - Cersei was taken off guard.  She underestimated how Lancel has changed, who previously was such a meek and flitty character, and she thought she had an understanding with the Sparrow (she certainly scratched his back well by giving him all his power by arming them).  To ShowCersei, what happened was completely illogical because she presumed that the Sparrow's act, was, well an act.  That he didn't believe anything he was saying, he simply was like everyone else in King's Landing, bargaining for power and playing the role he thought would get it for him.  I have a feeling as we watch the next few episodes, she will say exactly that - "what is it you really want here?" and it will be terrifying for her once she realizes that he is the scariest of all, because he actually believes what he's saying.

We are in complete agreement on this. Lena is absolutely brilliant. Cersei's exchanges with Tommen and the Sparrow in The Gift were particularly impressive. http://littlesati.tumblr.com/post/120216290738/5x03-5x07

You both said it and I only have to agree.
Lena Headey (and her body double) were breathtaking

I have always been of the opinion that as an adaption of the character from the books, Lena's performance falls woefully short, but just judging her solely on her performance as a character they have wholly invented for the television series, she is great -- especially this past season. 

I have always been of the opinion that as an adaption of the character from the books, Lena's performance falls woefully short, but just judging her solely on her performance as a character they have wholly invented for the television series, she is great -- especially this past season. 

:agree:

Lena is fantastic. "The Gift" and "Mothers Mercy" are just spectacular performances in particular. The way her smugness just disappears and turns into a look of "oh fuck" in the arrest scene, followed by her kicking and screaming is just brilliant.

The Walk was incredible. Though we don't get to hear her thoughts in the books, Lena's face communicates them flawlessly. At first, she's like "bring it on." But by the end she's I'm tears.

Though I have no idea what's in store for season six, I'm excited for Cersei more than anyone else.

As I usually see it, even if the actor plays incredibly, if the writing is poor than these actors don't usually get nominated. That's why I was sure Lena wouldn't get a nod as the writing for Cersei was not amazing to say the least despite the fact the she acted really great. Didn't really think that bad writing is not an obstacle at all for getting a nomination this year as some stuff much more horribly written in GoT than Cersei's character got nomination as well. 

And to be fair, with the show diverging from the books so far, you can't compare Lena's interpretation of Cersei with book Cersei. If the show stuck with the books a lot more, then yes, but it didn't. They are two different stories at this point.

Yeah beside the "walk" episode everything else was pretty meh with her, but I blame D&D they are one note with all characters and we ve seen this cersei for years on the show, they really haven't developed her at all.

The only character who showed development this season was oddly stannis, Earlier in the season they made he seem like a reasonable guy and some viewers were changing their minds about him, but they took dump on that in the last two episodes. he did a 180, from being a skeptic of melisandre on episode 8 (telling her to get out and questioning whether the visions really meant anything) to a blind moronic fanatic the next episode, very unbelievable.

The only character who showed development this season was oddly stannis, Earlier in the season they made he seem like a reasonable guy and some viewers were changing their minds about him, but they took dump on that in the last two episodes. he did a 180, from being a skeptic of melisandre on episode 8 (telling her to get out and questioning whether the visions really meant anything) to a blind moronic fanatic the next episode, very unbelievable.

I wouldn't call Stannis a fanatic. Yes he was "blind" in some way but because of desperation not religion. What would have happened if he hadn't burned Shireen? A simple answer: Everyone would have frozen to death or in other words, he would lose (well, he also lost the battle against Boltons but he didn't know that at that moment) . So he clinged to most desperate and extreme solution - sacrificing his own daughter. Remember what Stannis said in season 3 "What is the life of one child compared to a million lives in Westeros" and he said that when he wasn't even in mortal danger. And if you have noticed, Stannis was very reluctant for the whole time ("Forgive me") and was also very devastated after her death. Just check again his face expression when he turned away from the fire. And the sacrifice actually DID melt the snow. It means that there definitely is a power in King's blood.

That's just my interpretation of the scene. If you have a different opinion, I can't blame you. 

Archived