(Book Spoilers) Mannis 2 Society: Burning Anxiety

Stannis is even worse than the mad king, even he didn't burn his children alive.

Had he lived, I could have seen him burning Rhaegar on suspicion of treason, while forcing Rhaella and Viserys to watch.

IMHO, Melisandre in the Show is the Devil, and Stannis has made a pact with the Devil.

Does anyone actually want Stannis to win the war with the Boltons. I am sorry Sansa but you have to wait in line next to Shireen because Shireen deserves justice. Infact Sansa is screwed if she ends up with Stannis, the man just burned his daughter alive how much chance Sansa has. Next time a crisis hits Stannis will throw Sansa to the flames, she has kings blood too.

Another philosophical question guys who are experts in religion in this world, is the R'hllor the only god that demands live sacrifices. In the show I haven't seen the seven or old gods expecting live human sacrifices to achieve anything. One theme that has always resonated in the show is that kinslaying is a terrible sin and you will be punished by the gods for such a crime. Tyrion killed his father no matter how bad his father was I always felt like Tyrion will eventually have to pay a price for that crime. Stannis obviously will also be punished. I mean if he wins this war wouldn't it justify his beliefs which is wrong, I don't apply our modern day views in the show. But even in the show I can't see Stannis coming out on top now that everyone is calling for his head.

Had he lived, I could have seen him burning Rhaegar on suspicion of treason, while forcing Rhaella and Viserys to watch.

IMHO, Melisandre in the Show is the Devil, and Stannis has made a pact with the Devil.

Hasn't GRRM said that Mel is the most misunderstood character in the books?

But then, if D&D are to be believed, she (and possibly Stannis) will burn Shireen at the stake, a moral even horizon if there ever was one.

So either the books will have loads of details surrounding the events that we don't know which will soften the blow somewhat (IE make us understand Mel more) or Martin truly thinks most readers won't think a father burning his child alive at the behest of a sorceress is an evil act. In which case he's probably mistaken.

3. Some wildling crueler than Val burns her because of her grayscale

4. The writers are simply lifting an event that happens at a later point after Stannis is reunited with his family and inserting it in here. The cats out of the bag, this scene came from GRRM and its going to show up in the books in some form and it's best for all the Stan-stans to just come to terms with it now.

Does anyone actually want Stannis to win the war with the Boltons. I am sorry Sansa but you have to wait in line next to Shireen because Shireen deserves justice. Infact Sansa is screwed if she ends up with Stannis, the man just burned his daughter alive how much chance Sansa has. Next time a crisis hits Stannis will throw Sansa to the flames, she has kings blood too.

Another philosophical question guys who are experts in religion in this world, is the R'hllor the only god that demands live sacrifices. In the show I haven't seen the seven or old gods expecting live human sacrifices to achieve anything. One theme that has always resonated in the show is that kinslaying is a terrible sin and you will be punished by the gods for such a crime. Tyrion killed his father no matter how bad his father was I always felt like Tyrion will eventually have to pay a price for that crime. Stannis obviously will also be punished. I mean if he wins this war wouldn't it justify his beliefs which is wrong, I don't apply our modern day views in the show. But even in the show I can't see Stannis coming out on top now that everyone is calling for his head.

If a certain theory is correct, Tywin is not Tyrion's father - and this would absolve Tyrion of kinslaying. If another theory is correct, then it is Theon who is in fact a kinslayer.

D & D have fucked up the northern storyline so badly. IMO, it was the best part of either AFFC or ADWD. But obviously they didn't think so. First they ruined Sansa, then Theon, and now possibly Stannis (not to mention the characters that they cut: Manderly, Freys, Dustin, etc.).

It's been a couple of years since I read the books, but my impression was that Stannis was pretty agnostic about the Lord of Light, and he just placated to it. Perhaps I was way off. The show's scenario requires Stannis to be a full fledged religious fanatic. It appears that D & D may have an anti-religious view (which is ok in and of itself) given their treatment of the Faith Militant, and that they therefore want to punish Stannis for placating to religion, but I think a better way to do that would be to have Mel burn Shireen behind his back (the way it likely happens in the books given the placement of the characters).

But ultimately I think it boils down to their cowardice in regards to rendering some of the heroes of the story as being morally ambiguous (Tyrion and Jon). I could be wrong regarding book Stannis' agnosticism, but I think I'm right about the timing of Shireen's burning taking place before FTW - it was to whitewash Jon's inevitable resurrection.

I have read a few Sansa fans stating that they wish that Show Sansa would be killed off (put her out of her misery). I am starting to feel the same way about Show Stannis.

Yep, he doesnt really care about the Lord of Light in the books, hes a pragmatist. The portrayal of the Faith Militant was so over the top it was funny. If Shireen doesnt walk out of that fire in the next episode I am done with this stupid show. I am just so, so, so upset with George for allowing this shlock to be commissioned before he was done with the books.

It's funny cause the last thing Shireen said before she died was that choosing sides always causes more chaos :lol:

I guess if we could ask her now if she still thinks the same, she'd probably choose the side that doesn't burn innocent kids

I guess if we could ask her now if she still thinks the same, she'd probably choose the side that doesn't burn innocent kids

No she'd probably just call her parents assholes for burning their daughter alive and call it a day.

Another philosophical question guys who are experts in religion in this world, is the R'hllor the only god that demands live sacrifices. In the show I haven't seen the seven or old gods expecting live human sacrifices to achieve anything. One theme that has always resonated in the show is that kinslaying is a terrible sin and you will be punished by the gods for such a crime.

Children and criminals are sacrificed to the Black Goat of Qohor. Captives were once sacrificed to the Old Gods, although that custom is no longer practised.

Stannis is like the King of Moab who was persuaded to burn his son before Moloch, in order to achieve victory in war (it worked).

Hasn't GRRM said that Mel is the most misunderstood character in the books?

But then, if D&D are to be believed, she (and possibly Stannis) will burn Shireen at the stake, a moral even horizon if there ever was one.

So either the books will have loads of details surrounding the events that we don't know which will soften the blow somewhat (IE make us understand Mel more) or Martin truly thinks most readers won't think a father burning his child alive at the behest of a sorceress is an evil act. In which case he's probably mistaken.

I'm not sure what Martin's view is of human sacrifice. Clearly, there are sympathetic characters who are appalled by it (such as Jon, Asha, or Maester Yandel, in TWOIAF). But, then we see Dany (a sympathetic character) conduct a human sacrifice to hatch her dragons. And Martin describes Stannis as being "despite everything, a righteous man."

So, I think Martin might expect readers to sympathise with Stannis if he burns his daughter alive.

I don't get people comparing Stannis under siege at Storm's End with Stannis trying to get his army to Winterfell for a future battle. He needs as many men as possible if he is to take Winterfell. He didn't need as big of an army to hold Storm's End. He could hold off longer than in his current situation. Plus the weather is hell of a lot more demanding than people.

Renly deserved to die, in Stannis point of view. Shireen was innocent.

What about Edric? He was pretty innocent as well. And no, the fact he was a bastard or Robert insulted Stannis or whatever does not justify that or lessen that in any way.

Show Stannis has been a guy to root for, much moreso than book-Stannis IMO. Part of that is the incredible portrayal by Steven Dillane, but as others have said, I think this is D&D hitting us hard over the head with the Dany-bat here. You are not to root for Stannis! Slam!

(OT: but my friend and I just watched the 2nd episode of Penny Dreadful right after this, and in that one we saw a witch rip the heart out of an infant and put it into a doll. WTF TV people).

Archived