(Book Spoilers) Mannis 2 Society: Burning Anxiety

Was this scene shocking? Yes. Contrary to his book characterization? Not really.

Exactly - and good quotes, BTW.

The hardest men are the least malleable - and a hard man seeking solace in and being controlled by a nefarious witch cannot end well.

All three kings were dead at the time this scene takes place. Stannis is fully convinced of the power of king's blood. He doesn't doubt its efficacy, he only questions whether it's "the only way." I'm not sure what your point about Alester Florent or R'hllor is.

My point is Balon STILL isn't dead in the show. At least not that Stannis knows off.

What really annoyes me is, that it will probably be again a pointless action there just tu vilify Stannis...

Melisandra's magic is doing SHIT. Other priests can ressurect people and do not have to burn other people.

Tell me more about others raising shadows to kill kings, Melisandre's magic is to date, the most powerful in the TWOIAF.

I mean, it's obvious D&D aren't fans of Stannis, and haven't been fans of his from the beginning. Ever think about why? Because they probably knew from the beginning that this is what book Stannis would do. They're not going to have huge affection for a guy like that.

My point is Balon STILL isn't dead in the show. At least not that Stannis knows off.

Oh, I'm not defending Show Stannis (you're right, big plot hole). Just saying that his action in this episode is consistent with the text of the books.

Is that compelling for you? 20 men can cripple an army of 6000 "because the sentries were cold"? I don't think so.

That army was already crippled, in both the book and the show, Ramsey just made the problem a little more immediate. I don't find the idea of 20 men doing so all that odd either, what do you think groups like Navy Seals or Delta Force do? They go in behind enemy lines with small groups and disrupt their ability to fight. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more examples of this kind of thing going on in the books.

That army was already crippled, in both the book and the show, Ramsey just made the problem a little more immediate. I don't find the idea of 20 men doing so all that odd either, what do you think groups like Navy Seals or Delta Force do? They go in behind enemy lines with small groups and disrupt their ability to fight. I'm actually surprised we haven't seen more examples of this kind of thing going on in the books.

20 men killed HUNDREDS of horses and as well a crapton of other things and every single of one of them made a clean escape. Navy Seals and Delta Force would wish they had that kinds of efficiency. And those guys have explosives and helicopters.

20 men killed HUNDREDS of horses and as well a crapton of other things and every single of one of them made a clean escape. Navy Seals and Delta Force would wish they had that kinds of efficiency. And those guys have explosives and helicopters.

No, fire killed hundreds of horses, which is completely plausible. Fire was the scourge of the ancient world, even in cities there was almost nothing they could so about it other than contain it and let it burn itself out. Out in the middle of nowhere, good luck.

No, fire killed hundreds of horses, which is completely plausible. Fire was the scourge of the ancient world, even in cities there was almost nothing they could so about it other than contain it and let it burn itself out. Out in the middle of nowhere, good luck.

Blizzards are generally good at preventing these kinds of fires though. Or at least ensure that aren't starting massive fires quickly and easily.

What I don't get is why Stannis, with the White Walkers on the Night's Watch's doorstep, would sacrifice Shireen just to defeat the Boltons. The Boltons! A bastard's blood nails you two kings, but a king's daughter only nets you victory in the snow these days. You'd expect a ball of fire to come crashing down on the Night's King for that sort of investment, surely?

What I don't get is why Stannis, with the White Walkers on the Night's Watch's doorstep, would sacrifice Shireen just to defeat the Boltons. The Boltons!

Well two episodes ago when Mel first suggest the burning she argued said "you must become AA only you can lead against the long night." So you can argue the WW are factoring in long term into his decision then the Boltens

maybe an accidental fire, but adding a little accelerant ought to still make stuff burn.

Can you be more specific? What do you imagine Ramsay and each of his men used to very quickly start fires, completely unseen, that the raging snowstorm was powerless to stop from consuming the tent that contained the horses and whathaveyou?

Archived