Penny Dreadful III: Be my Little Scorpion [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

That was very meh. Something is wrong when Lyle is the only one who really did anything effective (though it was a very glorious scene). Well, I guess John Clare did something by killing the Putney's. Maybe we can count Vanessa punching a doll. But basically Victor and Malcolm cry alone in a room while Ethan kills Sembene and then decapitates an already dead Kali. They should have just sent in Lyle with his gorgeous hair and tiny gun, since apparently bullets could have done all the work anyway.

I feel let down.

Caliban comes through with the best moment! "You can't keep me here" He knew from the beginning. Fan-fucking-tabulous.

As the poster above said, Evelynn's death was anticlimatic, but I did enjoy the Vanessa scene a lot. What a badass. She apparently had it under control anyway.

Lyle got his one-liner in, and it was very Lyle. His fans will be squeeling with joy when they watch that.

Dorian and Lily were awesome, loving how Dorian is progressively seeming more and more evil.

Overall great Finale, not as good an episode as the previous two, but still interesting ending. We're going to be on 3, possibly 4, different continents next season.

Hats off to Evelynn and Sembene who I assume are both gone for sure now. Great actors and characters.

Can't wait for Season 3.

Can't believe they're making us wait until next season for the Ethan/Lilly reunion. :angry:

Decent finale overall, not great, but it had some good bits.

Evelyn Poole's demise was a bit underwhelming, (bravo to Helen McCrory, fantastic villain from start to finish) but I like Hecate well enough. Will be interesting to see her on her own next season.

John Clare was the best part of the episode for me. His escape/revenge was very satisfying. Another nice scene between him and Vanessa in the tunnels too.

Dorian and Lilly are awesome together. Glad they finally made Dorian interesting.

Thought the illusions scenes with Malcolm and Victor dragged out too long.

The Vanessa/Ethan vision of them happily living together with a family was some cruel shit. And I expect it will elicit some serious feels to a certain couple posters who are big shippers of those 2. :P

"Never underestimate the power of a queen with lovely hair my dear"~Mr. Lyle :wub:

Who knew Vanessa was such a talented ventriloquist!

Everyone for whom this wasn't their first episode? :P

That was seriously badass though in typical Eva fashion.

ETA: Holy shit, forgot to comment on that Lyle line. How foolish we were in predicting that him being fabulous was a given; it was far more than that.

This finale was a let down that's some cruel stuff to pull on everyone

Sembele is dead

Victor is a super junkie and got rejected again by lilly

Malcolm is doing something uninteresting

Ethan is going back to america because the guilt of being a wolfman was too much

Lilly and Dorian got the happy ending that all the other characters were robbed of

Vanessa gets left by Ethan and is all alone now

Caliban well looks like he found his isolation

The witch plot got wrapped a little too quickly for me I mean you didn't even really need anyone but Vanessa to handle it apparently. All Ethan and co did was get Sembele killed

That vision of a more happy time with Vanessa and Ethan was cruel. There's slow burn and then there's just being petty

Oh and I guess Evelyn is gonna take over

the blind chick's scream was utterly satisfying

Yup, it was pretty shocking to see how horrible she ended up being.

Sembene is going home, I miss him already. I didn't mind Kali's death but the vision scenes were dragged out a bit(as Nictarion said) and the 2nd half of the episode was sort of underwhelming besides the John Clare scene. I don't think Viktor was expecting that welcome at Dorian's mansion, it was actually pretty funny. Dude is a complete and utter mess at the moment.

The 2nd season was terrific as a whole, though, and better than the first. A friend of mine said he watched the first 4 episodes and was on the fence and I'm urging him to at least get to the 2nd season. I don't know one person who watches this, besides you all, and it's a shame.

I don't think Viktor was expecting that welcome at Dorian's mansion, it was actually pretty funny. Dude is a complete and utter mess at the moment.

I feel like they really went out of their way to not have him shoot anyone in the head, because they need to leave any possible method of wrapping up that plot open till later. They did the same thing with John Claire in S1 I think.

In fact,they've kinda been cagey in general about what Frankenstein's creations can do. If it's just breaking doors then they aren't quite the awesome master race Brona insists they are are they?

That was very meh. Something is wrong when Lyle is the only one who really did anything effective (though it was a very glorious scene). Well, I guess John Clare did something by killing the Putney's. Maybe we can count Vanessa punching a doll. But basically Victor and Malcolm cry alone in a room while Ethan kills Sembene and then decapitates an already dead Kali. They should have just sent in Lyle with his gorgeous hair and tiny gun, since apparently bullets could have done all the work anyway.

I feel let down.

The witch plot got wrapped a little too quickly for me I mean you didn't even really need anyone but Vanessa to handle it apparently. All Ethan and co did was get Sembele killed

This was the worry from the start. Barring the Ominous Book of Eveelness there was really no recourse besides shooting when it came to the witches. We never had any really progression on that front. They show up and they win, until they don't.

It's actually odd. It's not so much a plot resolution as a way to feed into a completely different plot.

Also: that inspector guy was awesome. I got the sense that he was trying to be respectful of what a hard decision that must have been for Ethan, but he just couldn't help but want to fistpump.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the grand scheme of things. It peaked with the cut-wife episode, but the sum is less than its parts. Its parts are great, but that's not enough.

I'm actually pretty disappointed in the grand scheme of things. It peaked with the cut-wife episode, but the sum is less than its parts. Its parts are great, but that's not enough.

At least the plots of people like Dorian moved forward.

As for the bigger plotlines, like the Devil, I think they'll end up treated like the Witches plot. Shit happens around it until it's resolved,with the actual method of resolution being opaque up until that moment.

"Never underestimate the power of a queen with lovely hair my dear"~Mr. Lyle :wub:

I was really unsure if my ears had deceived me. I did a woot with that line, but then looked around (empty house so I was looking at imaginary things) to see if the piece of dialogue was really as great as I thought. It was!

And about Ethan, I can't figure out if I'm really annoyed or really impressed. He's major purpose in the show so far has been to create a love interest for Vanessa so that she can then be in the position of making the ultimate choice/sacrifice. It's awesome a man is in this useless spot, but also disappointing because it's a gods damned wolfman and these things are supposed to do more than just decapitate a dead witch.

Sigh, I guess I'll always have Dorian/Ethan make out session.

Hmmm, while initially disappointed I was actually glad they resolved the Devil stuff quickly enough. It could not have been a sustained confrontation given the pieces were set up last episode.

I do hope Lupus Dei has some greater purpose than cutting the throat of something that's already withering, though I did like Ethan's final letter to Vanessa.

Clare ripping open the cage was great, as was Victor shooting the happy dancing couple. I wish they'd given us greater insight into who or what is the threat in Season 3, though I suppose it makes sense if it's the Immortals.

All in all loved the season, and enjoyed the finale despite my initial disappointment.

Above all - loved all the Mr. Clare scenes. I hope he finds his way back to be the counter-immortal to Lily/Dorian as he is "the most human man" of all. I'm rooting for him. Be pretty gutted if that's the last we see of him.

Negatives:

Billy Piper's ever-so-posh voice is really grating. Just thought I'd drop that in there.

It did seem rather slow for a finale, although I realise they're setting up the solitude of the "good" (?) guys contrasted with the Evul Reanimated.

A little put out that Helen McCrory is replaced by the younger, more beautiful queenwitch. ;) HM's been a lot of fun to watch.

I feel like they really went out of their way to not have him shoot anyone in the head, because they need to leave any possible method of wrapping up that plot open till later. They did the same thing with John Claire in S1 I think.

In fact,they've kinda been cagey in general about what Frankenstein's creations can do. If it's just breaking doors then they aren't quite the awesome master race Brona insists they are are they?

<>

*nods* Doesn't look like blood loss is an issue for them. :eek:

I found myself running through methods of creature destruction when that happened.

• bullet to the brain

fire (always reliable)

acid (to Lily and/or Dorian portrait)

Other methods considered were a little too modern.

For anyone interested, Logan has discussed some of the finale stuff on sites like IGN. Doesnt want to give too much about S3 away, though he drops little bits here and there

Oh, and during that he says

Vanessa isnt Malcoms actual daughter

Yes, I caved and spoiled myself. The mind is weak...

ETA: on Creature destruction, ripping them in two seems effective...

Bit of a damp squib of a finale I thought, after the previous two weeks. The confrontation with the witches being drawn out over three episodes could have been tightened up, but of course that would have lost all the cliffhanger endings.

All the time that Victor and Malcolm were being dialogued at by their ghosts, Lyle's attacker was simply holding him up against a wall and hissing at him? Very silly.

Next season I wonder if it is going to be Dorian&Lily vs Team Vanessa, the members of which are yet to be determined. Vanessa, Victor and Malcolm definitely, possibly with a mummified Sembele (?) and Ethan, if the writers can find a way to extricate him from the US. Perhaps Hecate travels to the States and frees him?

Bit of a damp squib of a finale I thought, after the previous two weeks. The confrontation with the witches being drawn out over three episodes could have been tightened up, but of course that would have lost all the cliffhanger endings.

All the time that Victor and Malcolm were being dialogued at by their ghosts, Lyle's attacker was simply holding him up against a wall and hissing at him? Very silly.

Next season I wonder if it is going to be Dorian&Lily vs Team Vanessa, the members of which are yet to be determined. Vanessa, Victor and Malcolm definitely, possibly with a mummified Sembele (?) and Ethan, if the writers can find a way to extricate him from the US. Perhaps Hecate travels to the States and frees him?

Agreed. I hated that part.

I think it'd be cool if they included Lucy Westenra somehow. I know her character was kind of replaced by Vanessa but it'd be interesting to see the dynamic of if Lucy was part of Vanessa's history.

Also wanted to say how much I loved Evelyn Poole. I love how they took a small character from the first season and turn her into the big bad of Season 2. I surprisingly liked her death scene.

I think it'd be cool if they included Lucy Westenra somehow. I know her character was kind of replaced by Vanessa but it'd be interesting to see the dynamic of if Lucy was part of Vanessa's history.

Also wanted to say how much I loved Evelyn Poole. I love how they took a small character from the first season and turn her into the big bad of Season 2. I surprisingly liked her death scene.

I don't think we will. We have a pretty thorough history of Vanessa now. Grew up with Mina, slept with Mina's fiancé, possession, mental institution, returns home, time with the cut wife, cut wife dies, sees Mina, reunites with Sir Malcom.

The show has also killed Mina and Van Helsing so Lucy is very unlikely to appear.

Archived