Which Theory Would You Be Most Satistfied To Learn To Be False?

Jon might be dead though but unlikely. He wouldn't have had does dreams of the tombs in winter fell were he was not welcome cause he is a stark. My guess is that Jon is coming back but Jon snow is dead.

Oh I don't buy that Jon is dead. I was more or less responding to the NW loyalty claim.

Oh joy, R+L=J/polygamous marriage debate has spilled over into another thread. Again. Yay!

My apologies....

Oh I agree that Jon will not leave the NW unless good reason. I am also in the boat with people arguing that FTW was a way to release Jon of his vows. No I don't necessarily take up the "I am a Prince banner", but the idea that Martin spent so much time throwing hints in there and having Ned focus on Lyanna, etc, just to have Jon actually be a bastard seems pointless. What I was arguing in that first post (and I admit it was brief without much explanation) is that for Martin to spend so much time on it, it probably plays some role in Jon's future arc that is not simply "Wow I am not Ned's bastard, I am something else". If that is the only point of Martin's approach to this, he would be a terrible writer; but I don't believe that is why Martin brought that element into the story.

When I responded that people hoping that RLJ is false, are essentially asking for a broken story, I am looking at the purpose of so much time spent on something that is pointless. We are not talking about a character hearing a prophesy once, believing something, and then proven wrong later; no this is something that is the summation of many, many hints scattered throughout the series. I guess my stance is that there is something important about it, that is why Martin used it.

1. If it is false - that is one hell of a road trip for no purpose at all. So either, nope you are Ned's bastard. Or ohhhhh all the hints, no you are really just a bastard of these people. That just doesn't make any structural sense.

2. If it is true - it will have a purpose that is meaningful outside of Jon feeling better about himself.

Thus my post that hoping it is not true opens the door for a disjointed story for Jon, and a lot of pointless hints, etc. If it is true, the importance of the union will not be undermined by Jon's status, bastard or not. It will have a real importance to Jon's arc in the very least.

I actually hope it's true myself but I want a twist. I would find it very boring if it was just a Paris and Helen of Troy-story. Make it was actually a rape and kidnapping, for example.

Anyone who doesn't realize Bran is going to be extremely important hasn't been paying attention.

Amen.

That Varys is actually three kids stacked on top of each other.

Ok, this made me laugh out loud. And also brought to mind JD and Turk being Giant Doctor on Scrubs.

I hate Raegar... and I'm not fond of Lyanna either, but I kind of hope the theory is true.

HR = HS. It's a cool idea, but not a lot proves it and the believers are a little belligerent over the theory.

Any theory that has Young Griff as neither a Targaryen or a Blackfyre. I actually don't mind if he's a Blackfyre, but I don't like the theories that he's anything other than one of the two.

HR = HS. It's a cool idea, but not a lot proves it and the believers are a little belligerent over the theory.

That is hardly a unique situation. Rather too many adherents are rather too belligerent.

I can't really see the point of any of the X=Y theories. X+Y => Z does have some point since there is at least one person whose parentage is questionable. But the idea the Euron, Dario, Howland Reed and the High Sparrow are all the same person is pretty silly and choosing just two from the set isn't much more sensible.

I can't really understand what the point of LemonGate even is. Lemons don't grow in Bravos, so what? How do we get from that to Lemon cakes? Is Jojen involved? And no, the links to the thread make no sense at all.

I am biding my time till A+J=T is proven utterly false. I hate the "Lannister's are secret Targs" theories. Especially Tyrion being a rape baby of Aerys. Totally unnecessary and I can't wait for it to die.

This was going to be my submission as well, glad to see many agree.

GRRM has forgotten more about storytelling than I'll ever know, but in my personal opinion it would be a giant joke and I'd have trouble taking that plotline seriously if that was one of his big twists with the series.

Obviously she fled to Essos and now is at CB. I thought it was obvious that Mel is Lyanna.....

That makes sense. She became a Red Priestess ecause of the fire. Fire equals dragon, dragon equals Targaryen and Targaryen equals Rhaegar. She just wanted to stay connected to her lost love.

Ah, a love story for the ages.

Archived