Season 6 Foreshadowing...

LatrineDiggerBrian

where in the article you posted does it say that D&D think the books are boring?

" “We really wanted Sansa to play a major part this season,” Benioff said. “If we were going to stay absolutely faithful to the book, it was going to be very hard to do that."

“In the books, Sansa has very few chapters in the Vale once she’s up there. That was not going to be an option for one of our lead characters. While this is a very bold departure, [we liked] the power of bringing a Stark back to Winterfell and having her reunite with Theon under these circumstances.” 

I love how you managed to completely ignore the two paragraphs that actually explain their reasoning, instead taking wildly out of context everything else, and putting your own spin on it. 

It's there in that article and a ton of others and in the "Behind the Episode" clips. I was on a bus this morning taking a bunch of middle schoolers to the Baltimore aquarium and that was the easiest to find while I ignored my kids for a few minutes ;)

I know others have gone round and round with you on this and I am starting to think you have some monetary investment in the TV version of this story because you seemingly defend every single decision Dave and Dan make no matter how jarring, irrational, or poorly developed it is. Book readers can fully admit the bad parts, slow parts, idiot characters and will fight to the death over the age of consent for sexual activity for the "kids", but you seem to not take any issue with any negative element of the show... ever.

We have trusted D&D for 5 seasons now and it gets more and more ridiculous. They openly use phrases like the one mentioned where they are going to give the storyline to the character the TV viewers want to see, not to what makes sense. Apparently Sansa developing in the Vale is too boring because they could never put her actual development on TV. FFS, they were already snipping from WOW, they could have easily included the WInged Knight tourney and the plethora of characters that comes with that. They could have easily expanded Sansa's three pathetic chapters if they wanted. They made up a whole fake-ass-boring-useless love story between Missendai and Grey Worm.

So, in this topic with you I can respond no more. When you get to work on Monday, high five the Double D's for me.

I love how you managed to completely ignore the two paragraphs that actually explain their reasoning, instead taking wildly out of context everything else, and putting your own spin on it. 

You mean, it's kinda hard to tell the whole story and get the point without all of the details? Are you saying I cherry picked to sensationalize? Hmmm, dually noted.

Ah the lazy fallback of accusing someone of working for D&D if they disagree with you *eyeroll*

if you read my posts you'd see I actually have numerous things I think they got wrong , and did badly.

The problem is when people such as yourself spend more times focussing on interviews and behind the scenes shows than the actual tv show. 

And then pulling phrases out to fit into your preconceived narrative of the world , ignoring anything that destroys that narrative because that wouldn't be fun.

The interview you posted is the one people bring up a lot, and it's a perfect example. Taken in context it's obvious what is being said, that Sansa in the books is hidden in  the background, with little to do and miles away from affecting the overall plot. Also that she is a main and important character and that they liked her. 

Then there is a subplot, being Theons ghost of winterfell arc, that they really liked too. Having Sansa be there at winterfell which is her home resonates with that story and it makes it more powerful to have a stark at winterfell.

But if what you really want to hear is that D&D are doing everything for shock value and love raping people then you'll probably ignore all that and just twist a couple of words to make it more palatable to you 

We have trusted D&D for 5 seasons now and it gets more and more ridiculous. They openly use phrases like the one mentioned where they are going to give the storyline to the character the TV viewers want to see, not to what makes sense. Apparently Sansa developing in the Vale is too boring because they could never put her actual development on TV. FFS, they were already snipping from WOW, they could have easily included the WInged Knight tourney and the plethora of characters that comes with that. They could have easily expanded Sansa's three pathetic chapters if they wanted. They made up a whole fake-ass-boring-useless love story between Missendai and Grey Worm.

Thank you. There was so much entertaining drama to be mined in the Vale plot, but the biggest irony of all is that it was actually about the GAME OF THRONES, and they cut it for rape-revenge fanfic.

And yeah, the bold is perfect, Missandei/Gray Worm, fake-ass-boring-useless. :lol:

Nah, Sansa's arc in the book was pretty boring. The Vale had nothing going for it, especially as it relates to tv.

However, they made a mistake in not going to the Riverlands with Jaime and Brienne. Hopefully that'll be somewhat repaired this season.

True. She does have a lot of internal dialogue and realizations while there. And I wouldn't have necessarily wanted to see/hear Sweetrobin complaining so much. But the Vale is just as much about LF as it is Sansa. We would had to have been introduced to some newer characters that support the story and show the personal growth rather than having lots of scenes of Sansa staring at snow. And there is the tourney that is coming up that they could have used for the action sequences and forshadowing. 

It seems LF may be coming back to Winterfell with the Vale army in S6. It would have been more consistent to have that Army "led" by Sansa, newly revealed and supported by the Lords declarant, but still being whispered to from LF. 

I agree about Jamie. I am curious how they are going to bridge the Jamie arc from Dorne to dead Myrcella to into the Riverlands. 

True. She does have a lot of internal dialogue and realizations while there. And I wouldn't have necessarily wanted to see/hear Sweetrobin complaining so much. But the Vale is just as much about LF as it is Sansa. We would had to have been introduced to some newer characters that support the story and show the personal growth rather than having lots of scenes of Sansa staring at snow. And there is the tourney that is coming up that they could have used for the action sequences and forshadowing. 

It had zero plot momentum, was isolated from almost all  other storylines, involved a lot of cleaning up after a moany kid and I have to agree with 'of man and wolf'.. it really was pretty damn boring. Its unsurprising they felt they had to cut it. 

Bran telling Rickon "If something happens to us, you're the Heir to Winterfell!" while focusing on the last part, also Rickon saying to Bran "I'm your brother, i have to protect you" and Osha "I know how to swing a sword!". Foreshadowing Rickon being destined to inherit Winterfell, taking revenge on those who betrayed the Starks, and also ending up protecting Bran ? 

Bran telling Rickon "If something happens to us, you're the Heir to Winterfell!" while focusing on the last part, also Rickon saying to Bran "I'm your brother, i have to protect you" and Osha "I know how to swing a sword!". Foreshadowing Rickon being destined to inherit Winterfell, taking revenge on those who betrayed the Starks, and also ending up protecting Bran ? 

I think that Rickon's whole porpuse as a character is to be the heir to Winterfell at the end.

The interview you posted is the one people bring up a lot, and it's a perfect example. Taken in context it's obvious what is being said, that Sansa in the books is hidden in  the background, with little to do and miles away from affecting the overall plot. Also that she is a main and important character and that they liked her. 

How did Show Sansa affect the overall plot in S5? Like, at all?

if you read my posts you'd see I actually have numerous things I think they got wrong , and did badly.

For example? 

Nah, Sansa's arc in the book was pretty boring. The Vale had nothing going for it, especially as it relates to tv.

The Vale's a great story, if only well played and adapted to TV. It's my favorite part of Feast by far, and honestly, if we're measuring by the level of entertainment and illogical actions and characterizations  that Winterhell S5 produced, the Vale's pretty much Shakespeare. Hell, even the Sand Fakes aren't that bad compared to Sansa Poole, Myranda 'Harley Quinn' and Ramsay '20 men' Bolton. 

How did she not? Her presence affected Theons plot, Ramseys plot, Briennes plot which in turn ended up affecting Stannis' plot. 

Compared to what she did in the books.. where she affected... nothing.. except making sure a small boy managed to get the right breakfast.

And yeah I've called out many of the shows weaknesses in the past, if you don't remember or weren't paying attention thats not my problem.

How did she not? Her presence affected Theons plot, Ramseys plot, Briennes plot which in turn ended up affecting Stannis' plot. 
Compared to what she did in the books.. where she affected... nothing.. except making sure a small boy managed to get the right breakfast.

And yeah I've called out many of the shows weaknesses in the past, if you don't remember or weren't paying attention thats not my problem.

Agreed. Some things the TV show has improved upon. This was one of them.

The Vale's a great story, if only well played and adapted to TV. It's my favorite part of Feast by far, and honestly, if we're measuring by the level of entertainment and illogical actions and characterizations  that Winterhell S5 produced, the Vale's pretty much Shakespeare. Hell, even the Sand Fakes aren't that bad compared to Sansa Poole, Myranda 'Harley Quinn' and Ramsay '20 men' Bolton. 

I'm enjoying my scenes with Ramsay and the Boltons. In fact, I'll be dissapointed when they're gone. The Sand Snakes mean nothing to me and were seriously the worst thing the show has ever done. Much like in the book, never got into them or Dorne really.

Sne interacted with these people but that's not the same as affecting the plot. The only contribution was inmproviding motivation for Theon to rescue her. Her presence had no effect on Ramsay's decision making whatsoever, and Brienne's chief contribution this season was killing an already defeated and dying Stannis, in direct contravention of her vow to Sansa. But Stannis still lost, the Boltons still won, Jon was still stabbed by the NW. The chosen plot still happened regardless of her presence. In fact, show Sansa had less impact on the plot than fake Arya. Nothing is just nothing.

She only had a few chapters since ASOS so its hardly surprising there has not been some major revelation yet Saying nothing happened is just sillly though - you see a lot of character development on her part there and its an insight into LF'splans. there's also all the Vale intrigue. But most importantly, its obvious she does have a storyline that has been pushed back to Winds so unless you have read an advanced copy, you have no more idea than any of us if its intriguing  or not or how it affects the plot.

As for the latter I'll take it that you couldn't think of anything. It's simple question and I was asking you to back up a point you made. Having read all your posts in detail is hardly a requirement for participating in this discussion. Have you read all my posts? 

The big improvement in the show for her storyline is she is at least interacting with the main plot, and not being isolated away from the rest of the story while GRRM works out what to do with her. 

She did manage to become an integral element to the Ramsey and theon storyline, as well as setting up storylines in the future in terms of her and Jon, and Rickon as well. 

I'm not sure why the issue of her affecting the plot is the important one, the important one is that shes interacting with the main plots, that there is a connection between stories, something I continuously bang on about as one of D&Ds main motivations when making changes. This was a very good example of it.

If you must know, I don't even like the Winterfell storyline in the show. Ghost of Winterfell in the books is far superior, but not because it doesn't have Sansa, but because it has a greater sense of internal dialogue and Theons character. 
And obviously I hate Dorne, and a few other things, but I don't need to keep repeating that every time I post.

Archived