POLL: Who wrote the 'Pink Letter'?

Mance just doesn't have any motive. Mance wanted the free-folk to get past the Wall for protection from the Others and this is what Jon is doing. I think it has to be Ramsay after he captured and tortured Mance and was fooled by Stannis. I think chronologically Jon's final ADWD is after the released Theon TWOW chapter.

Mance just doesn't have any motive. Mance wanted the free-folk to get past the Wall for protection from the Others and this is what Jon is doing. I think it has to be Ramsay after he captured and tortured Mance and was fooled by Stannis. I think chronologically Jon's final ADWD is after the released Theon TWOW chapter.

That depends on a number of factors. Was this sent before or after Stannis attacked Ramsay's forces? Was Stannis trying to think of a way to get Jon down to Winterfell? Did Mance go poking around the crypts and find something very, very interesting in the tomb of requirement and decide Jon needed to see it too?

Is there some kind of write up for the Mance theory? Mance writing the pink letter seems about roughly as crackpot as Mance being Rhaegar.

Do we even know if Mance can read/write? Does he have any idea on how to use ravens to send letters? How would he even know he has the right raven for Castle Black? Why would he write a letter to antagonize Jon? Why would he call Val a wildling princess? How is he able to replicate Ramsay's tone so well? How does Mance manage to escape Ramsay after Reek's escape? And escape well enough to sneak his way into the room with the ravens? Why does Mance even care?

I'm sticking with Ramsay. My opinion is that the mystery of the pink letter is the content, not the author.

Yes. There is so much more about that situation that is mysterious that thinking the pink letter is from anyone else than Ramsay is kind of silly. It is a pity that the question of who authored the pink letter is drowning out the real questions about that situation.

My answer is obviously Ramsay.

Yes. There is so much more about that situation that is mysterious that thinking the pink letter is from anyone else than Ramsay is kind of silly. It is a pity that the question of who authored the pink letter is drowning out the real questions about that situation.

Not really, I think the general consensus is that no matter who the author of the letter is, that person is lying. The reason the author is a mystery to be solved is because whoever it is that person kbnows much more than he/she is supposed to know, meaning whoever it is it's a person that has been severely underestimated until now.

Not really, I think the general consensus is that no matter who the author of the letter is, that person is lying. The reason the author is a mystery to be solved is because whoever it is that person kbnows much more than he/she is supposed to know, meaning whoever it is it's a person that has been severely underestimated until now.

The general consensus is based off of several mistaken beliefs. One of these is that the letter was sent to Jon to get him to bring his army of Wildlings down to help in some manner. The problem with this is that no one south of Castle Black would know that Jon had more than 300 Wildling men (which Jon notes is considerably less than 300 if the infirm are removed from that count). Tormund didn't bring his group of Wildlings through the Wall until almost two months after Tycho Nestoris left. Once Tycho went south, Jon had no other way of telling either Stannis or Mance that he had a fresh batch of Wildlings. This is just the first problem with the idea that someone besides Ramsay sent the letter. Every time someone has tried to explain to me why Ramsay couldn't have gotten all of his information about what was happening at the Wall from just one of the spearwives it quickly becomes apparent they are mixing up the order of events. For me to believe that there was anything in that letter that Ramsay couldn't know by torturing one of the spearwives, someone would have to point out to me something that Ramsay couldn't know without mixing up the order of events.

That's a strange conclusion. It's just as likely if not even more likely that the letter was written by someone who believed those words to be true.

Archived