Star Trek Beyond

Rhom

I wonder if the same movie would have been less or more popular if it wasn't Star Trek.

Into Darkness that is

Ya know same overall film just change the character names and the Star Trek related background.

I don't think so, because I think a big part of the movie was the winks to the original series. Most people went to see it to see these characters again, this universe. They liked what they got right, they liked the references that were done well, it's just the flip side is the things got wrong also carried more weight.

The story doesn't feel like it would work as a generic movie without ending up bland, there would need to be some other kind of catch, Guardians of the Galaxy style with the humor and/or music or something that sets it apart otherwise I think we'd end up with maybe a Jupiter Ascending bomb of a movie.

ETA:

I know people went to see it that never was into Trek before or seen any previous incarnations, but I can't believe they weren't even slightly aware of who Captain Kirk is and what the Enterprise was. I don't see them having the same energy being non-Trek films unless the writers/producers/directors were very eager and ambitious to establish a new independent sci-fi universe, but that's not what they signed on for.

Idk, I certainly watched it because I'm a big fan of the 90s TV shows but I also try to watch anything that has to do with space travel. I'd likely have watched it anyway

I think I would have liked it more without comparing it to the spirit of the past star treks

Another thing that I found missing is having the Enterprise more of a character. More establishing shots, graceful flying through space shots, fierce battle scenes where when the ship gets hit it feels like a person getting hurt. Nothing as heavy handed as TMP but definitely not the shaky cam, blurred, moving too fast "what was that?" images of the reboots.

To quote my beloved Bones, "you treat her like a lady...and she'll always bring you home." Or, just watch the end of Voyage Home, seeing the new Enterprise that the crew has been given after they've saved Earth (again)--oh god, that scene makes me cry *every time.* The ship was always a character in ST. I miss that as well in the reboots. It's like, to the new! Trek, it's literally just a ship.

." Or, just watch the end of Voyage Home, seeing the new Enterprise that the crew has been given after they've saved Earth (again)--oh god, that scene makes me cry *every time*.

Easily one of my favorite Trek moments.

"My friends, we've truly come home."

I was hoping there'd be another film, so this pleases me.

I've never seen any other Star Trek, but I did enjoy the reboots. Most of the criticism I've seen is around the idea that it's missing that sense of adventure, exploration and mysticism. I guess I can see that, particularly the second one seemed more like your average action film (or even superhero film) than sci-fi/futuristic stuff.

The title for this one indicates a little bit that it's going to be more like that, and I hope it is. I probably won't watch it in cinema, but I might end up buying it on DVD or something.

I remember Simon Pegg saying a while back that the story for this would be more of a traditional story about the Enterprise going exploring.

I always thought a great way to do Kirk prequels would be a trilogy with that last scene of the 3rd movie would be the crew boarding the Enterprise for the first time.

This was a great opportunity to really delve deep into previously unexplored Star Trek lore. Such as a more in depth look at Starfleet Academy life.

But no it was all hurried over in a montage like mess and they are all a starship crew 30 minutes into the first movie.

Or maybe I'm wrong and Kirk banging a green lady was the only worthwhile thing that ever happened on TOS

I remember Simon Pegg saying a while back that the story for this would be more of a traditional story about the Enterprise going exploring.

Good. If they go that route instead of trying to re-do a canon story, then the movie could be better than ST: ID.

Good. If they go that route instead of trying to re-do a canon story, then the movie could be better than ST: ID.

That abbreviation looks way to similar to STD.

Unlike some, I didn't hate Into Darkness, but then again I never watched the original series.

On the other hand my parents like both the reboot films, and they're Trekkies.

I'm looking forward to this. :)

First outing was just fine...provided you don't think of it as Trek...

I've never been a Star Trek ethusist, orginal that is. NG on the other hand are my 90's. "All Good Things" was epic and a worthy finale. So, to me, the reboot was worth my money and time.

The first movie was just ok, there were a lot of things they did right, but it didn't have the feel of Star Trek (really more of a Star Wars feel actualy, which is why I'm hopeful for The Force Awakens).

Basically my criteria for whether or no I'll be excited about this is if it has Klingons, all I want is a story revolving around Klingons.

Basically my criteria for whether or no I'll be excited about this is if it has Klingons, all I want is a story revolving around Klingons.

Maybe it will be about the virus that changed their looks.

Kirk Klingons were way different than Picard Klingons.

Would this be the right time for that? Help me out supernerds!

The Klingon that we know started in the first Star Trek movie.

I heard various theories on the change but did not hear of a viral infection.

I thought they were hybrids to interact with outsider while they hid their true selves or something along that line.

That was actually explained in the TV show Stark Trek Enterprise (S4)

ETA: you can just read Memory Alpha's synopsis of what happened since I try very hard to forget that ST ENT was ever at thing.

The Klingon that we know started in the first Star Trek movie.

I heard various theories on the change but did not hear of a viral infection.

I thought they were hybrids to interact with outsider while they hid their true selves or something along that line.

Nah, the lack of ridges was the result of some genetic experiments that mutated with Levodian flu that almost wiped out the Klingons around the time of Star Trek: Enterprise. Because these experiments were being done on Augments embryos (Augments are what Khan was), the virus warped the DNA of some Klingons, so the ones who you see in the Original Series are those descended from those who's DNA was messed up. Later they would just get some cosmetic surgery to restore their ridges or they likely underwent some form of gene therapy to remove those genes.

I'd be ok with in this universe, that never happened, this is an alternate timeline after all.

Lets see Kirk clash against Kang, Kor, and Koloth, let us see bat'leth fights and glorious battle.

Archived