grrm latest comment on notablog ?

On a positive note, GRRM said recently on notablog that part of the reason he's so busy is he's working on 3 future TV projects, 2 with HBO. We know one of these isn't ASOIAF related, but I'll bet anything the other 2 ARE. There is no WAY the networks/HBO won't want to cash on in GoT's success with a spin off sequel/prequel story. I've heard rumors of an animated series of ASOAIF being recently pitched from family that works at HBO as well (not AT HBO necessarily, but out there in TV land).

GRRM must be under enormous pressure to get WoW out before the next GoT season, I'm at the point now that I don't care - the stories are different enough that I'll enjoy them both, in any order they come out. He is a notoriously slow writer, being a hunt and peck typist on a 20 year old non-internet connected PC using Wordstar, heh. I wish he would upgrade to some of the newer voice/typing tech, some of it is pretty decent, and would probably triple is writing production and output. Xmas present maybe? I'll start a gofundme page.

And how exactly do we know that?

He's made mention of his schedule many times on notablog. IRRC he mentioned something about meeting with editors this summer there, I'll find it in my logs and repost later.

I can't strongly enough recommend following Martin on notablog. He's very engaging, I've had at least 1/2 a dozen discussions where he's responded to me personally there, he's always wise and fair during debates, and as stated here, shares a lot of little tidbits about the goings on in ASOIAF as well as his many other projects. This kind of access to celebrities/authors is very, very rare, especially one like Martin, who isn't just a "fluff" celeb, but a writer of genuine intellect and personality. Live journal is pretty good about letting topics run their course as well, and from what I've seen the members on GRRM's notablog are among the best behaved and reasonable posters I've yet seen - even when there is disagreement. Hell, the disagreements and GRRM's interaction with them is why I read it every day.

edit - yep, I was correct, he's even just repeated the info today.

"So I'm headed east the first week of August... for a wedding, yes, and no, that's private, so you don't get to hear any more about it... but I am going to see my editors and publishers and agents while I am in town, and do some other fun stuff... including a ball game." -GRRM

Again, if you're at all interested in Martin's life and times, notablog is a great place to find a home, I've met some great people, gotten book recommendations from GRRM himself, and expanded my sci-fi/fantasy knowledge and library by a factor of 10 since reading it daily.

Would the prequels make good television? I don't know if they would appeal to the same audience.

I would think the story of Ned, Robert, Lyanna, Rhaegar could make a great show, it's much more contained and linear than the ever expanding song of ice and fire, and it has all the same elements..prophecies, the summerhall mystery.

It seems concerning thought that he's working on all of this stuff now, it feels either/or to me. Either he is finished or almost finished with Winds, or he totally given up on getting it out before next season and is in full distraction mode. I feel like there is no middle ground.

I think the prequels would make better movies than seasons of a show.

I think you could get one good season if you adapted the books but not more than that.

Guys... I think you know what must be done: WE HAVE TO STOP THIS WEDDING

The only way we can get this done is if we burn Shireen.

He also has said that he's meeting with publishers and editors during an upcoming visit to Jersey.

He leaves these comments vague and semi-cryptic for a reason. And I don't blame him one bit.

I know it isn't canon (not from his blog) but rumors are that he has finished. I think that he might actually be finished and it's moving on to the next stage.

Yep, when he is finished, he'll post a picture of the manuscript, with a memo saying "DONE", and put it up on notablog. I'll wager $ on it. And that day the internet will break, and once it bounces back, it'll go berserko for a week or so.

I would think that they would love to get it out before xmas for sales numbers purposes, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Robert's Rebellion and Dunk and Egg could work as seasons of the show, but HBO couldn't do the Dance of the Dragons justice. You'd need a Hollywood budget for the dragon battles.

I think I'd rather they do a show based on a story he hasn't already written. It means we get more stories, instead of another version (and one that will invariably be at least somewhat disappointing to most people) of something we've already read. And he's said he wants to write new stories about different character in the world, but with so many backed-up commitments (2 ASoIaF books, 6-9 D&E novellas, and B&F...) he'd probably need a good excuse--like, say, a new TV miniseries--to justify it. And, of course, with there not yet being a book to adapt, he'd presumably have to co-write it instead of just handing it off to someone else.

Prequel seasons aren't happening at the moment. HBO don't have the rights to Robert's Rebellion and GRRM is not minded to sell them. D&E has been discussed, but nothing has come of it so far.

I don't think there is any way Robert's Rebellion will be made by any outlet prior to the conclusion of ASOIAF. It would give away too much of the mystery of the novels. Instead of having various characters' recollections of what happened, we'd see it first hand and that wouldn't be much fun (before the series' conclusion anyway).

Archived