Fear the Walking Dead: Our hopes and dreams for the Series. (Now Spoiler Friendly).

Alia of the knife

OK... I am really enjoying this show, but someone brought this to my attention.

If you are Maddie, here is how your day went..

12pm - Look frantically for your junkie son who ran away from the hospital

1pm - Find him and hear him explain that he just killed his friend

1:30pm - Watch the dead friend walking around and see him get run over by a truck several times

2pm - Decide to take your family to "the desert" to get away from all of the craziness

3pm - Pick up your daughter from her boyfriends house and find out that he has a huge chunk missing from his shoulder and is dying.

4pm. - Watch your son Nick go into heavy drug withdrawals

5pm - Break into your school to try and steal narcotics

5:15pm - Smash your friend and colleague over the head repeatedly with a fire extinguisher until he is dead-dead  

6pm - Return home to administer you junkie kid narcotics

7pm - Get a call from your boyfriend saying that he is trapped downtown in a riot.

8pm - Watch your neighbors being eaten by your other neighbors right across the street.

This sounds like a pretty long day, and I would assume that you would be frazzled, so what is the next logical step to take in this progression? 

9pm - Play a game of Monopoly with the kids?

Makes sense, that kind of horrible day is the only thing that might make a game of Monopoly seem fun in comparison. The unrealistic part was how quickly they were finished, in the real world they'd still be stuck playing it by the time Rick & Company are settling into Alexandria.

Makes sense, that kind of horrible day is the only thing that might make a game of Monopoly seem fun in comparison. The unrealistic part was how quickly they were finished, in the real world they'd still be stuck playing it by the time Rick & Company are settling into Alexandria.

Or someone would have gotten frustrated and flipped the board over.

The politics thread is over in General Chatter. You should probably take your propaganda over there to get it completely shot down by logical and reasonable human beings. This is a show about zombies, and there hasn't been anywhere close to enough evidence to suggest whether the main characters vote Democrat or Republican as of now,

I am willing to bet that the zombies themselves are Trump supporters though.

Except, you know, like everything I mentioned actually happened in the episode. So that kinda means I'm not trolling but with your rhetorical response and insulting aside you are. Well done.

I'm not sure why Travis would be written off so quickly just because he is averse to murder.  Being a gun fanatic doesn't indicate one's ability to survive an apocalypse.  It just indicates that pre-apocalypse they were a gun fanatic.  Quick thinking, adaptability, and excellent interpersonal skills are pretty important and we saw Travis effectively navigate two groups of people through the start of riots and then out of the city.  I don't see why Travis wouldn't continue to to adapt his own set of skills to fit his new reality.  He doesn't care for guns and killing right now, but his current characterization suggests that he will adapt as things continue to change.  

Except, you know, like everything I mentioned actually happened in the episode. So that kinda means I'm not trolling but with your rhetorical response and insulting aside you are. Well done.

I am pretty sure that we are watching a different television show, as I don't remember any mention of Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, or Social Justice. I did see riots start because of a zombie outbreak, but I don't think that the rioters were doing so out of a political agenda. I think that people were rioting because dead people were walking around and cops were shooting them. I don't think that being a liberal or a conservative really had much to do with any of this. You are the one forcing your political idea into the discussion by calling leftists "idiots".

On another note, I don't really see the "polite and courteous" military that you are talking about. They are authoritarian to the point that our main characters feel like they have to lie to them to not be abducted like their neighbor. They are obviously being set up to have an antagonistic role in the series.  

I think a zombie apocalypse requires flexability.

That's pretty much what I said.  But right now it's basically a bad flu going around.  Travis not wanting to murder his neighbors or direct his son to murdering neighbors doesn't really indicate a lack of flexibility.  It's like day two of the apocalypse and as far as they know, there isn't even an apocalypse.  There are riots and this bad flu that is creating what should be a biologically impossible death illness.  That's like any other Tuesday, just happening a little closer to home.  

If in the future when things really fall apart and Travis is still not allowing his family to defend themselves, well then maybe we can say he's inflexible.  So far though, he's been nothing but adaptable.  

On another note, I don't really see the "polite and courteous" military that you are talking about. They are authoritarian to the point that our main characters feel like they have to lie to them to not be abducted like their neighbor. They are obviously being set up to have an antagonistic role in the series. 

I'm not sure any person would quickly fess up to burying someone in their backyard minutes before they attempted to escape the city.  Even during flu or ebola outbreaks, people will lie to the authorities because no one wants to go through quarantine.  I mean, obviously they are going to be antagonists to the group, but they certainly aren't now.  

I'm not sure any person would quickly fess up to burying someone in their backyard minutes before they attempted to escape the city.  Even during flu or ebola outbreaks, people will lie to the authorities because no one wants to go through quarantine.  I mean, obviously they are going to be antagonists to the group, but they certainly aren't now.  

All of this is absolutely true, but it was heavily implied that the reason for the lying was that they feared abduction. I am only assuming that they are quarantining both zombies and people that they think might be infected, but I think that may be a reasonable assumption

All of this is absolutely true, but it was heavily implied that the reason for the lying was that they feared abduction. I am only assuming that they are quarantining both zombies and people that they think might be infected, but I think that may be a reasonable assumption

I didn't read a fear of abduction at all as no one seemed to think that the neighbor was abducted.  They asked where he was, the reply was that he was quarantined because of contact with infected blood, then everyone but Daniel stood around agreeing that things were going to be ok.  It was just a fear of quarantine.  The only time people are ok with quarantine is if it means they can skip work to stay home.  

I am pretty sure that we are watching a different television show, as I don't remember any mention of Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, or Social Justice. I did see riots start because of a zombie outbreak, but I don't think that the rioters were doing so out of a political agenda. I think that people were rioting because dead people were walking around and cops were shooting them. I don't think that being a liberal or a conservative really had much to do with any of this. You are the one forcing your political idea into the discussion by calling leftists "idiots".

We the viewer know it's a zombie outbreak. The people on the street started protesting when they saw the police shoot an what they thought was unarmed homeless man. Their protest soon turned into a riot where it looked like at least one police officer was killed. Of course we can't know the political makeup of the crowd and I suppose it doesn't matter either because the world is ending and politics don't matter anymore.

Anyone get a rough count on how many shells Alycia got in those two boxes of ammo? How many rounds per box? 50? And some seem to have dropped to the floor when she ran out of the neighbour's house.

So maybe 40 per box, to be safe. Half of which seems to be birdshot, and the other half buckshot.

As we have seen, birdshot is worthless against the undead, as it doesn't penetrate into the brain. So that means half the ammo is for fighting off living people only. The other half - say around 30-40 rounds - can be used against zombies.

All of the above is based on the assumption that each box contained 50 rounds, and that only a small number of shells got left behind on the floor.

Anyone get a rough count on how many shells Alycia got in those two boxes of ammo? How many rounds per box? 50? And some seem to have dropped to the floor when she ran out of the neighbour's house.

So maybe 40 per box, to be safe. Half of which seems to be birdshot, and the other half buckshot.

As we have seen, birdshot is worthless against the undead, as it doesn't penetrate into the brain. So that means half the ammo is for fighting off living people only. The other half - say around 30-40 rounds - can be used against zombies.

All of the above is based on the assumption that each box contained 50 rounds, and that only a small number of shells got left behind on the floor.

They actually looked more like 25 shell cases to me, and I would say she dropped at least five from each box.

Here is a webpage that shows the box I think that they picked up

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/herter-s-reg-select-field-dove-and-quail-shotshells/1601971.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FShotgun-Ammunition%2F104567580.uts

They actually looked more like 25 shell cases to me, and I would say she dropped at least five from each box.

Here is a webpage that shows the box I think that they picked up

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104567580/herter-s-reg-select-field-dove-and-quail-shotshells/1601971.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FShotgun-Ammunition%2F104567580.uts

Ah, ok. So maybe 20 birdshot and 20 buckshot left. Minus 1 of each that was fired at the German Shepherd muncher.

Still, the Walking Dead has a habit being rather poor at realistic ammo management. Rick's bag of "700 assorted" never ran out, lasting all through Season 1 and Season 2, providing enough ammo for the entire farm to blast away merrily at cans to train them up in the use of firearms, as well as the memorable barrage of bullets unleashed when Shane bust open Herschell's barn. And all other shooting needs that had to be covered until Rick found mad-Morgan's weapon stash in that weird reunion episode of theirs.

So I expect the shotgun ammo to last to the end of Season 1, or until they pick up another gun from a dead soldier or something.

I think it does a good job trying to get into the mind of the average person.

I kind of think its clever that in the midst of the rioters, the zombie transformation is being missed. The one cop tearing out the throat of the other cop in the middle of all that chaos just looks like...chaos.

Travis did do a good job in navigating everyone out of there, but a pretty girl like Ophelia? Her person would probably not be safe for very long once its realized all laws, and those protections are gone.

Like I said, the rioters themselves become fair game for the shopkeepers because there is now no law to allow the protesters to protest in safety.

I also think that the show does a good job in getting into the notion of "am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" Sure, I have watched zombie movies, but would I recognize it if it actually happened? Would I believe that the dead are actually walking? Could my own sanity survive that reality before I gave up?

Nick seems to recognize they are dead, but how?

Mrs. Salizar will think its satanic possession.

Daniel Salizar is focused on the people.

At this point, no one is comprehending what they are seeing. And I do think that once Travis realizes what they are dealing with, all bets are off. Personally I would "kill" the zombies out of mercy. No one wants to be that.

Two things I did question, and that was Alicias reaction to Chris. And the other is I'm not really sure who would have won, the dog or the zombie?  Zombie strength is something I've always questioned. Is it that they are super strong, or that they are impervious to the beating, or in the dogs case, the biting, that they are experiencing?

As for politics and such, it doesn't matter anymore, all you have is you, and I think that is one of the appeals of such apocolyptic themes.

Did we see that? I thought the first shot did nothing because he fired at an angle to the face, so it blew the face off but didn't go into the brain because of the angle. Might be misremembering.

As for realistic gun stuff, the inordinate number of headshots bothers me more. If you just let Rick/Shane get away with it fine, as they've been set up as great with firearms from the get go, but it seems to be everyone with the slightest of training.

Two things I did question, and that was Alicias reaction to Chris. And the other is I'm not really sure who would have won, the dog or the zombie?  Zombie strength is something I've always questioned. Is it that they are super strong, or that they are impervious to the beating, or in the dogs case, the biting, that they are experiencing?

Dogs when attacking humans tend to bite arms/etc and savage until they bleed out. The zombie would have no pain response so could just grab the dog and drag it close, then return the bite.

Man, talk about taking a quip about this show looking as the ZA from the "liberal's" PoV and turning it into your standard political shit fight.

One point we might like to consider in terms of Travis' capacity for survival is his comment to Nick about the number of broken noses he's had. Seems his distaste for guns might be because he came from a very rough background and he's seen a lot of street survivor action in his younger days. All that street fighter nature might well come back with avengeance once the realisation that the ZA is actually a thing hits. I wouldn't count him out as being a limp wristed wet paper bag just yet. Some people do grow up rough and turn out to be pacifist rather than gangster because of that experience, but the experience is still part of them.

Archived