Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

True, true, perfume helps in that regard too. Lots of perfume.

This reminded me of the QoT stopping just to say KL smells like shit. I mean, what the hell was that scene?
Very meta.

This reminded me of the QoT stopping just to say KL smells like shit. I mean, what the hell was that scene?
Very meta.

Oh, yeah. Kings Landing is so beneath her but the Tyrells want it pretty bad don't they. Maybe they can spread Highgarden perfume. Heh, did not book Qot once say sarcastically "and when a Tyrell shits, it comes up a rose" or something like that?.

How and why did Jaqen H'gar kill himself but live?  How and why did Arya go blind?  Is it because she the dead body of JH and the living body of JH at the same time?  I'm confused!

That was the waif who turned into Jaqen who was killed, right? I don't have the heart to watch that again. Like the funny reviewer said, they threw darts to come up with the 52 pickup face trick. I think I read somewhere the waif is back. This is going to be good...

I think she went blind for shock factor. Just to pile on the misery for the Starks.

Hardhome was ok-ish. A fairly decent action scene on its own, but so wrong in so many ways when examined in the context of ASoIaF. Dany and Drogon wasn't even a decent action scene imo. Even OuaT has better dragon scenes...

Yeah, I can't really enjoy a good action sequence without a good story.

That was the waif who turned into Jaqen who was killed, right? I don't have the heart to watch that again. Like the funny reviewer said, they threw darts to come up with the 52 pickup face trick. I think I read somewhere the waif is back. This is going to be good...

I think she went blind for shock factor. Just to pile on the misery for the Starks.

That is pretty much what season 5 was, was it not, Complete mysery for the Starks. Nothing posetive as a result. Trant to an extent and Sansa regarding Bran and Rickon but at what price? they do not need her help anway. Season 6 needs to pick up this family, just a little would be gratifying.

I thought both the Dany and Drogon scene was spectacular, along with Hardhome.

I suppose that the scene could be ok. without knowing the original context of what was meant to happen there. That's why I feel disappointed. It was meant to be a moment of triumph for Dany and it was, once more, poor Dany being rescued by everybody, including his Dragon.

Context matter. Without context, is just people doing stuff that is mentioned to happen in the books. It's not a culmination. Even Jon's stabbing is a culmination, once the shock is over, because the books hint often that he's meant to "reborn" and this is the time in which he will reborn after he's dead. The child has been killed and the man will be born.

Dany, the Damsel in Distress. With the Cranky Baby Dragon.

One seemingly minor but impractical thing that took me out of the scene was Drogon's scales. At least design a little place where a person could sit comfortably.

I know, looking at him, I am thinking, Where the F - - - do you put a saddle on it like they did in the good old days of Targ lore? The ride should have been so painful one would think she missed the good ole honeymoon days with Drogo.

It's supposed to be erotic. Good Drogo riding. This night I would look on your face. Dany rode him fiercely.

They don't get any of this, do they. Maybe his name might be a hint, but she didn't call him that for a long time.

Dany was the best thing to happen to Drogo. Drogon will be the best thing to happen to Dany.

The thing is tho, when GRRM wrote about Arya going blind, it was a shock!  But it also made sense in the context of story line.   In GOT, JH killing himself, or whatev, didn't make sense, nor did Arya's blindness.  There was so much 'ZOMG, Shocking!!' it was just stupid instead.

The thing is tho, when GRRM wrote about Arya going blind, it was a shock!  But it also made sense in the context of story line.   In GOT, JH killing himself, or whatev, didn't make sense, nor did Arya's blindness.  There was so much 'ZOMG, Shocking!!' it was just stupid instead.

Exactly.

ZOMG SHOCKING! is pretty much the show nowadays.

It really does bother me that they're going backwards in Arya's arc now. Maybe it means we'll finally get Jon and Arya warging though.

Just in case I need to be sure, do you think Arya was "punished" in the books for killing Dareon? Or was it simply a part of her training, and it was supposed to be a coincidence it happened directly after Dareon is killed?

At first read of AFFC, I thought it was a punishment as Arya's arc finished with blindness (as far as I recall). But in ADWD, it seemed to be like a part of her training instead. Anyway... which one was the reason in the books? The show seem to go with the punishment route (as her training plan was to kill that money insurence guy). I think this could be another example of D&D's lack of reading skills. They take everything at face value. Jon's stabbing etc.

But please confirm whether or not my statement is true. My memory likes to trick me.

Archived