Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

As to Ian McShane, could he be playing Rickard Stark?

We can tell you, however, that sources say McShane has a relatively small amount of screen-time during the season, yet his character is of key importance.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/01/game-thrones-ian-mcshane

Why, Jesus, Buddha, Allah, the old Gods and the New, and Satan... why?? First Jon Connington, now Rhaegar... I fear for Arthur Dayne...

Yeah, well, Rhaegar got the short end of the stick. At least Jon Connington was cut altogether, and therefore escaped any butchery. He's safe, be happy for that. :(

In that better place, the little Griffins play happy with Edric Storm ;___;

I see the uncomfortable silences when Edric starts boasting with his father's deeds during the rebellion... :D

Here's a question for you: why didn't Ramsay light the candle himself after Theon blabbed about it? Sansa told him to light the candle and the next thing we know the old woman had been flayed. I assumed originally that Theon simply didn't tell Ramsay about the candle portion of the plan, but thinking about it, what else could he have told him? It's the central part of the plan and it makes no sense for Theon to be so cowed by Ramsay that he gives up the woman, but not explain what she actually did wrong.

Counter intelligence 101 dictates that Ramsay should have moved Sansa from her bedchamber, stuck her in a dungeon, set a trap with dozens of soldiers, then lit the candle and see who came running. He could have captured Brienne then and there and left Sansa with no conceivable support. It eliminates a threat to his marriage with no risk at all. Considering what an ubermensch Ramsay was for the rest of the season, this is a huge mistake on his part. 

On that subject, why didn't Sansa have guards outside her room? The existence of the old woman proves that 1. there are people inside Winterfell with Stark loyalties and 2. Sansa is actively trying to escape, so beefing up security after this should have been a tp priority on the off chance that she tries again. I know people often bang about how this is a dark show and "if you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention", but for a genius psycho Ramsay dropped the ball on two occasions in really improbable ways.

Yes, good question, TCO. The closer you look, the less sense it all makes. The show really doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

I'm still trying to finish re-watching s 5, but it feels like a terrible chore. But there are more stupid mistakes we haven't mentioned yet - not that I've seen anyway. For instance, ep 3 has the Jon/Stannis convo with Davos and Olly present, when Jon refuses Stannis' offer. When he talks about his NW vows, he says he swore a vow to the NW in the godswood. I mean, how hard is it to get these things straight? Change one or two words and the problem is solved.
I swore a vow in front of a heart tree/weirwood. It's not that hard, is it? Everything is just so fucking careless it's scary.

Yes, good question, TCO. The closer you look, the less sense it all makes. The show really doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

I'm still trying to finish re-watching s 5, but it feels like a terrible chore. But there are more stupid mistakes we haven't mentioned yet - not that I've seen anyway. For instance, ep 3 has the Jon/Stannis convo with Davos and Olly present, when Jon refuses Stannis' offer. When he talks about his NW vows, he says he swore a vow to the NW in the godswood. I mean, how hard is it to get these things straight? Change one or two words and the problem is solved.
I swore a vow in front of a heart tree/weirwood. It's not that hard, is it? Everything is just so fucking careless it's scary.

Emmy caliber writers!  Godswood, forest, what's the difference?  LOL.

Did we rant about the QOT saying "shagging"?  Isn't this is a modern word?  Did people say shagging back when they fought with swords?

Did we rant about the QOT saying "shagging"?  Isn't this is a modern word?  Did people say shagging back when they fought with swords?

A quick google search reveals that "shag" as it applies to sex was first used in the late eighteenth century and derives from shagg, an obsolete form of the word shake from the sixteenth century. In short, the word is anachronistic, but considering the show transplant modern english onto a fictional medieval setting, it's not as irritating as things people say which are simply wrong. Maggy the frog's prophecy is simply wrong, for example.

I mean, we're all being hyperbolic to joke around (to some extent...).

But what I'm saying is, if Rhaegar and Elia were introduced through a threesome with Arthur Dayne in Littlefinger's brothel, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

(And if you're wondering how could Littlefinger own a brothel back then, just remember: Littlefinger's brothel is eternal, everlasting and constant. It's the most important landmark in King's Landing.)

"Build it and they will come"

Oh don't get me started on the Emmy noms! LOL

Etymology dictionary says the same about 'shagging' as TCO said. So, yeah, another one. And even if its use dated back to BC, it's extemely colloquial, not something a noble/highborn would say anyway. I didn't even notice that, btw.

The weirwood/godswood thing would probably be a minor nitpick if the show was any good, but now it's just another silly and careless mistake on the pile.

ps: who do you think McShane will play? (And yes, another great actor to receive the Ds treatment - SIGH)

Archived