Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5 continued [book spoilers]

kissdbyfire

That was the waif who turned into Jaqen who was killed, right? I don't have the heart to watch that again. Like the funny reviewer said, they threw darts to come up with the 52 pickup face trick. I think I read somewhere the waif is back. This is going to be good...

I think she went blind for shock factor. Just to pile on the misery for the Starks.

The Waif is indeed supposed to be back (or the actress is, at least)
http://watchersonthewall.com/production-moving-to-ballintoy-ship-filming-spotted-and-faye-marsay-likely-returning/

Just in case I need to be sure, do you think Arya was "punished" in the books for killing Dareon? Or was it simply a part of her training, and it was supposed to be a coincidence it happened directly after Dareon is killed?

At first read of AFFC, I thought it was a punishment as Arya's arc finished with blindness (as far as I recall). But in ADWD, it seemed to be like a part of her training instead. Anyway... which one was the reason in the books? The show seem to go with the punishment route (as her training plan was to kill that money insurence guy). I think this could be another example of D&D's lack of reading skills. They take everything at face value. Jon's stabbing etc.

But please confirm whether or not my statement is true. My memory likes to trick me.

I'm pretty sure it was part of her training... but a part they for some reason let her go through earlier than usual. I guess it was indeed a reaction to the killing of Dareon, but not as a punishment but as an attempt to force her to focus more on her training instead of wantonly going around and kill people as Arya Stark. They are not stupid, they need to kill Arya to get no one. They didn't expect her to be a warg though, so that becoming blind and relying on actively warging cats was just another reminder for her to be a Stark, so they ultimately shot themselves into their knees.

Of course nothing of that interpretation will ever be shown in the show because Arya is not a warg there...

The thing is tho, when GRRM wrote about Arya going blind, it was a shock!  But it also made sense in the context of story line.   In GOT, JH killing himself, or whatev, didn't make sense, nor did Arya's blindness.  There was so much '[font='comic sans ms', cursive]ZOMG, Shocking!![/font]' it was just stupid instead.

Yeah, on the show it was shock without context, because they had to go over the top. Whereas in the books, it was more of a slow your roll thing.

I'm pretty sure it was part of her training... but a part they for some reason let her go through earlier than usual. I guess it was indeed a reaction to the killing of Dareon, but not as a punishment but as an attempt to force her to focus more on her training instead of wantonly going around and kill people as Arya Stark. They are not stupid, they need to kill Arya to get no one. They didn't expect her to be a warg though, so that becoming blind and relying on actively warging cats was just another reminder for her to be a Stark, so they ultimately shot themselves into their knees.

Of course nothing of that interpretation will ever be shown in the show because Arya is not a warg there...

Yup. I think at first we were supposed to assume that it was a punishment but then afterwards it becomes clearer that it was all just part of the training. I'm interested (not really) to find out how they'll do the blindness next season seeing as Arya isn't a warg in the show, unless they decide to make her one now it fits the plot. 

Yup. I think at first we were supposed to assume that it was a punishment but then afterwards it becomes clearer that it was all just part of the training. I'm interested (not really) to find out how they'll do the blindness next season seeing as Arya isn't a warg in the show, unless they decide to make her one now it fits the plot.

I think they'll make her a skinchanger next year. If you look closely, when she goes blind her eyes change and become similar to Bran's when he's warning Summer. This isn't necessary to show that she got blind; all it takes is for her to say something like, 'I can't see!', or 'I'm blind!'. Although one can never be sure of anything when it comes to what they'll do or not. :)

The Starks will be wargs whenever the show wants them to be, I've always thought people made too much of this, it can't be true on the show because they haven't shown it yet.  

But then I also always thought they could have done amazing dream sequence for Arya/Nymeria.  It's snowing in the riverlands.  Maybe  they will do it next season, but since they hate the direwolves, probably not.  LOL.  

I thought that Jaqen 2 is supposed to be possibly original season 2 Jaqen.  And the Jaqen from last season was the original guy who opened the door to her but put on Jaqen's face.

But, but, but... we must tell them. Oldtown, the Citadel, Pate. This. All. Tell the showrunners. D&D. Tell them, Oldtown. My wish. Dying wish.

There, there, son.  Oldtown was just a dream.....sweet yes, but   just. a. dream.    :(

But, but, but... we must tell them. Oldtown, the Citadel, Pate. This. All. Tell the showrunners. D&D. Tell them, Oldtown. My wish. Dying wish.

We're getting Oldtown.  Whether we get another Jaqen or not, who knows.  But it doesn't matter to the show, if Book Jaqen goes on to have a larger role, the show will either give it to someone else or we will have Jaqen 3 and no explanation.  The show doesn't do explanations...and as we can see from this board, they don't need to, because fans will create any number of back stories to try and account for the lazy writing and bad plotting.

The Starks will be wargs whenever the show wants them to be, I've always thought people made too much of this, it can't be true on the show because they haven't shown it yet.  
But then I also always thought they could have done amazing dream sequence for Arya/Nymeria.  It's snowing in the riverlands.  Maybe  they will do it next season, but since they hate the direwolves, probably not.  LOL.  

I thought that Jaqen 2 is supposed to be possibly original season 2 Jaqen.  And the Jaqen from last season was the original guy who opened the door to her but put on Jaqen's face.

Agree, and that's why I think Arya becomes a skinchanger next season. Not so much because they want it, but because they'll need to sort of make the point that all Stark kids are skinchangers b/c of the Jon 'Deader than Dead' Snow issue.

I never gave multiple Jaqens a second thought, I don't think the showrunners did either. Creatively it made sense and all that.

We're getting Oldtown.  Whether we get another Jaqen or not, who knows.  But it doesn't matter to the show, if Book Jaqen goes on to have a larger role, the show will either give it to someone else or we will have Jaqen 3 and no explanation.  The show doesn't do explanations...and as we can see from this board, they don't need to, because fans will create any number of back stories to try and account for the lazy writing and bad plotting.

I know we're getting Oldtown regardless, I just wanted to use that quote :P.

Nice! Daenerys is our only hope.

Aemon as Princess Leia. "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope." (Oh, and I guess that makes Sam R2-D2!)

I think they'll make her a skinchanger next year. If you look closely, when she goes blind her eyes change and become similar to Bran's when he's warning Summer. This isn't necessary to show that she got blind; all it takes is for her to say something like, 'I can't see!', or 'I'm blind!'. Although one can never be sure of anything when it comes to what they'll do or not. :)

That's a good point. And probably the only thing to take from that scene.

The North, explained: http://i.imgur.com/5IivyAB.jpg

Perfect!  :thumbsup:

ETA: And I agree that the show runners will have no problem having any of the Starks be skinchangers now if their plot (notice I say "their plot", not "the plot") calls for it.  Foreshadowing?!  Prior establishment of plot points so they don't seem like deus ex machina?!  Pffft!  Who cares about those things?!  That shit's for eighth graders!  :rolleyes:

FACT! Theon Greyjoy and the old lady have more balls then all the Northern Lords put together this season. 

I really hope Sansa and Theon will run to an already established Northern army or something like that, an army on it's way to rescue "Ned's girl". 

If the Northern Lords are going to fight the Bolton  suddenly Sansa turned up at their sight begging them to fight the Boltons, they actually did ruin them too. 

The reason why their "rebellion" in the books is so strong/admirable, is the fact their liege lords are not present. There are indeed other factors why they would fight against the Boltons than their will to fight for the Starks, like revenge (f.e. Manderley), power (f.e. Manderley). But still the will to fight for their lords is also one of the reasons they are willing to fight against the Boltons. And I believe it would diminsh their characters if they would only fight when Sansa asks them and not before. 

(However you still had Lyanna Mormont and that one lord who flayed because he didn't want to pay his taxes)

I really hope Sansa and Theon will run to an already established Northern army or something like that, an army on it's way to rescue "Ned's girl". 

If the Northern Lords are going to fight the Bolton  suddenly Sansa turned up at their sight begging them to fight the Boltons, they actually did ruin them too. 

The reason why their "rebellion" in the books is so strong/admirable, is the fact their liege lords are not present. There are indeed other factors why they would fight against the Boltons than their will to fight for the Starks, like revenge (f.e. Manderley), power (f.e. Manderley). But still the will to fight for their lords is also one of the reasons they are willing to fight against the Boltons. And I believe it would diminsh their characters if they would only fight when Sansa asks them and not before. 

(However you still had Lyanna Mormont and that one lord who flayed because he didn't want to pay his taxes)

All the Mormonts did was say fuck you to the only outsider who was able to make a Stark lord of Winterfell again as well willing to help them and who eventually gave up his family, army and his own life for that. 

Lord Cerwyn was commendable though.  It's sad how the only two who stood up were flayed.

It's nice to hear that their is going to be a White Walker scene that will surpass Hardhome next season as that is all the Northerners deserve at this point. 

Archived