Football 3-3 (@ Fratton Park)

Zoë Sumra

Within the space of a week, a limp defeat against inferior opposition is followed by a valiant but ultimately fruitless effort against superior opposition. The combined effect is to render all our earlier efforts almost, but agonisingly not quite, pointless.

This, my friends, is the epitome of what it's like to support Scotland.

Yup, they dropped the ball against Georgia big time.

I feel Ireland should finish 3rd here, I think they're just a bit better than Scotland.
However they have the toughest possible two games remaining, and Scotland could still take them. Especially since unlike in Holland's group where neither Iceland or Czech Rep have anything to gain from playing well against Turkey, Germany and Poland do still need to gather points to qualify, and they will give their best against Ireland.

Watching first half of France vs Serbia last night was just the reminder I needed of why our national team is in such a mess.

Too many sideways and back passes, not enough attacking play, confusion all over the pitch...

Even the goal we scored was a shambles - Tadic crossing from the left, Markovic hitting a mediocre volley that ricocheted of Mitrovic's knee/thigh and bounced into the net.

Laughable, or at least it would be if it weren't sad.

Scotland still have a chance of third place for a play-off.  Ireland did well to win against Georgia today but now they have to go away to Germany and Poland, who are still scrapping for 1st/2nd spots.  The final spot could go down to the wire.

Yeah, hence why I say 'agonisingly not quite'. We can still make it if we get a draw against Poland... but if we'd won that Georgia match, we'd only need to win against Gibraltar, leaving RoI needing three points from the last two games.

Watching first half of France vs Serbia last night was just the reminder I needed of why our national team is in such a mess.

Too many sideways and back passes, not enough attacking play, confusion all over the pitch...

Even the goal we scored was a shambles - Tadic crossing from the left, Markovic hitting a mediocre volley that ricocheted of Mitrovic's knee/thigh and bounced into the net.

Laughable, or at least it would be if it weren't sad.

That's still a big improvement for Markovic on his Liverpool form.  I still can't believe we wouldn't keep him for EL games.  We bought him because of his EL performances.

It's been 2 days since the Turkey loss, following the Iceland calamity on Thursday and I'm still feeling it.
Christ what a bummer. No way that Turkey loses one of the two remaining games. We're out, for the first time since 1984.

Just a year removed from finishing 3rd in the World Cup.

We're getting Sweden vs Austria (0-2 and a generally exciting game), so I haven't seen England. I did, however, see Phil McNulty writing "Very boring at Wembley so far - and I'm talking it up there" at the BBC live update.

Didn't sound too inviting.

We'll look to do well, I think. We might not do well, because our form has been crap for a long time, but Rodgers will be slaughtered if we go out cheaply. We'll at least try.

You think?  I'm not sure.  He didn't really go for it in the CL last year.  The fans weren't happy but his priority is the league.  And our squad looks a little thin at the moment for EL adventures.  Allen, Lucas, Markovic, Ings, Lallana, etc all looked like good alternates for EL games but now they're either injured, on loan or in the first team (Ings looks like he should start ahead of Firmino until he finds his feet).

So Rooney ends up becoming the old time leading scorer for England with 50 goals. 

...courtesy of another dodgy penalty. Ah well, at least now he's got the record, everyone will stop fucking talking about it. Almost as tedious as all the media bullshit over Stevie G last season.

Anyway, thank fuck the interlull is over. It's been shit. I mean, really fucking shit.

I honestly think we did try last year; we were just awful. By the time the Bernabeu game came around we had nothing to play for, so I wouldn't use that as evidence of any lack of ambition.

That's simply not true. Qualification was still very much a possibility, but your manager totally bottled it. Should have been sacked for that team selection alone.

Archived