Football 3-3 (@ Fratton Park)

Zoë Sumra

I thought Baxus was a chelsea fan for the longest time. 

Here I was, thinking we were cyber-friends and then you had to go and do this!  :crying: :P

Serbia finally got out of negative points in these qualifiers by winning against Armenia last night.

I'm so disappointed by our national football team I'm not even certain it was Armenia they played last night.

Here I was, thinking we were cyber-friends and then you had to go and do this!  :crying:  :P

I've known you're a Liverpool fan for a while - I think my initial impression was based on the fact that you had several posts about Matic and how important he would be for Chelsea. 

Also, here's an article about German Football which is fairly interesting - It's an extract from a book, I think - it focuses on the restructuring of the German FA and youth system that led up to their world cup win. 

I've known you're a Liverpool fan for a while - I think my initial impression was based on the fact that you had several posts about Matic and how important he would be for Chelsea... and you were completely right.

I've added the part you have obviously forgotten at the end there :P :lol:

Have to laugh at all the journo's describing Wayne Rooney as England's greatest ever player after equalling Charlton's scoring record. Get real, idiots.

ETA: Some perspective, here.

After bursting onto the scene during his teenage years, the Manchester United striker has racked up 48 goals in total but never reached the heights which seemed to be beckoned by his 18 months as an international footballer. At Euro 2004 he looked like a world-beater in the making but, as the same competition approaches 12 years on, many England fans feel that they have simply not seen the best of their captain.

While 48 goals in 105 caps seems like a reasonable return, a deeper investigation of those numbers takes much of the shine from Rooney's impending achievement.

Since that summer of 2004, in which Rooney scored doubles against Switzerland and Croatia before picking up a foot injury as England exited to hosts Portugal in the quarter-finals, the forward has scored a grand total of two goals in tournament football.

What's more, his 48 goals have largely come against international nobodies. Of the top 11 nations in the current Fifa world rankings, Rooney has scored against just two. His 2005 strike in a friendly against Argentina and goals in non-competitive home and away fixtures against Brazil in 2013 are the only occasions on which he has scored against the traditional powerhouses.  

Charlton and Rooney's 49 goals were scored over the course of thirteen seasons playing for England.

Lineker was better than both of them. He sits third on 48 goals, scored over nine international seasons. If not for that clueless fucking turnip, I reckon he would have gone on to set a record that would have been pretty much impossible to beat.

ETA: And, of course, unlike Rooney, Lineker has a World Cup Golden Boot to his name. Having said that, Rooney never shit himself when playing for England, so there's that...

To be fair, neither Rooney nor Charlton are really out-and-out number 9s, especially Charlton who, let's be fair, had an incredible record for a midfielder. Rooney is certainly a better player than Lineker was all-round, although not consistently.

It amuses me that the man at 8th place on the goals-to-games ratio list, just below Lineker and above both Hurst and Shearer, is Peter Crouch.

But isn't consistency one of the main factors in determining greatness? At Portugal in 2004, Rooney looked like he was destined to one day 'do a Maradona' and single-handedly win a tournament for England. But since then he's done fuck all. It's all very well banging them in against the likes of Andorra and San Marino etc in friendlies and qualifiers, but can you do it when it really matters?

In Rooney's case, the answer has to be no.

Well, for England Lineker is better, true.

All round, though, it's a lot closer- Rooney's still inconsistent but a lot less so at club level.

p.s. Woy really needs to play Kane and Rooney together. One of the reasons Rooney's been frustrating against the top opposition is that he isn't a number 9, and shouldn't be relied upon as the main goalscorer, but England have almost had to and with Kane there's a perfect opportunity to play him in the number 10 role with a proper quality striker in front of him while Rooney's still got some juice left. I get that Hodgson's quite cautious but he really needs to fuck that off for this one.

Hell, if Sturridge gets fit, play all 3 in a halfway-house between a 4-4-2 diamond and a 4-3-3.

Isn't the problem that both Kane and Rooney like to drop deep? Neither wants to stay forward as a #9. Sturridge likes to drop and roam too, but can be closer to a #9 than either.

Rooney has scored a lot of his international goals against soft opposition but I thought that was true of Lineker too. There are relatively few games against top teams. Even in 1990 Lineker got two soft penalties against Cameroon to boost his tally.

Archived