NFL Preseason 2015: Packers looking for a good diagnosis and Cris Carter is looking for Lee Majors

Trebla

No it's not. People can hate who they want. He's lucky he's still in the league. Going to prison has ramifications when it comes to finding employment in most professions. He was given a 2nd chance most people don't get, he can deal with some people booing him, or holding up signs.

Yeah, not my point. Of course they can do all of those things. And clearly he can deal with it. I think it's childish for a grown adult to take their kids to a practice field to express their lukewarm hate for a backup QB that paid for his crime years ago. This happens to him every season when he goes somewhere new so it's just seems like a media stunt at this point. Those people with the signs probably dress their dogs up in sweaters and antlers at Christmas time. Like I said, grow up.

We have more love for dogs in this country than we do for children. On a relative scale, anyway.

Agreed, Manhole. I bet those parents take their kids to Subway after they storm away from the practice field.

Yeah, not my point. Of course they can do all of those things. And clearly he can deal with it. I think it's childish for a grown adult to take their kids to a practice field to express their lukewarm hate for a backup QB that paid for his crime years ago. This happens to him every season when he goes somewhere new so it's just seems like a media stunt at this point. Those people with the signs probably dress their dogs up in sweaters and antlers at Christmas time. Like I said, grow up.

Well, I mean. I don't get why some people value dogs >= people, but that doesn't mean I don't know that some do. Surely you do too, and if do you'd be able to work out why, to those people, Vick playing pro football is like OJ back on the field. It's not really that mysterious aside from not getting their priorities, but then people vary.

The stuff about sweaters and media stunts are entirely your invention. It's probably even true of some of them, but not enough to justify this ~ outrage you're putting out. Easiest explanation is that w/e Vick goes, he'll meet up with people who see him as something like a serial killer who got a slap in the wrist and is now back enjoying a lucrative life. That's just the way it's going to be, and though I don't agree with their sense of scale, it would take a hell of a lot more for me to think they're the problem in this scenario.

Well, I mean. I don't get why some people value dogs >= people, but that doesn't mean I don't know that some do. Surely you do too, and if do you'd be able to work out why, to those people, Vick playing pro football is like OJ back on the field. It's not really that mysterious aside from not getting their priorities, but then people vary.

The stuff about sweaters and media stunts are entirely your invention. It's probably even true of some of them, but not enough to justify this ~ outrage you're putting out. Easiest explanation is that w/e Vick goes, he'll meet up with people who see him as something like a serial killer who got a slap in the wrist and is now back enjoying a lucrative life. That's just the way it's going to be, and though I don't agree with their sense of scale, it would take a hell of a lot more for me to think they're the problem in this scenario.

I don't think that's an invention. There's the initial first one or two week outrage when Vick goes to a new team. It gets publicity every time he changes a team, so I think it's pretty logical to see that there's a precedent set there, and people from the next city will be eager to show up to camp that's filled with cameras that are hungry for any kind of drama (it's the preseason afterall) and bring the most vibrant signs to catch their attention. They've seen that it works in the past, so they keep doing it. Social learning, ya know? If you wanna credit me for inventing that theory then I'll take it  :cheers: As for the sweater stuff, ya that was tongue in cheek. Perhaps I was foolish for thinking that people would understand that. Well, they've created this scenario, and seem to be the only active variable, so who would be the problem?

I do. When was the last time you met a dog you didn't like? When was the last time you met a person you didn't like? Dogs are fucking amazing.

Eh, people are more apt to be dislikable than fountain pens too. Not that I think dogs = pens, just showing why that argument doesn't move the needle as much for me. I love dogs, and cats too...but I'd save a person first, even an unlikeable one, and it wouldn't be a tough call.

That said, people who hurt animals for fun are pretty disgusting, generally. I can't quite work out where they ought to fit on the punishment scale, but I wouldn't want to know them.

I don't think that's an invention. There's the initial first one or two week outrage when Vick goes to a new team. It gets publicity every time he changes a team, so I think it's pretty logical to see that there's a precedent set there, and people from the next city will be eager to show up to camp that's filled with cameras that are hungry for any kind of drama (it's the preseason afterall) and bring the most vibrant signs to catch their attention. They've seen that it works in the past, so they keep doing it. Social learning, ya know? If you wanna credit me for inventing that theory then I'll take it  :cheers: As for the sweater stuff, ya that was tongue in cheek. Perhaps I was foolish for thinking that people would understand that. Well, they've created this scenario, and seem to be the only active variable, so who would be the problem?

You're really constructing a hollow argument here. The fact that he gets publicity every time is also easily explained by sincere reactions. That you can construct a scenario with ulterior motives doesn't actually make it more likely. Your entire premise is that getting some kind of collective attention >>> sincere anger as an explanation for why people protest, and all you have to support that hypothesis is that it might be true.

They have not created this scenario, is the point. Vick does not maintain his innocence, so they aren't falsely accusing him. He did what they believe he did, they just happen to disagree with the courts/NFL about what that should mean. If he were not in a profession contingent upon public opinion, I might even be able to say they ought to respect the process, but Vick and his employers get a lot of money exactly because of what people think about them and are willing to do about it, so this is just part of the deal. In fairness to him, he seems to get that, anyways.

You're really constructing a hollow argument here. The fact that he gets publicity every time is also easily explained by sincere reactions. That you can construct a scenario with ulterior motives doesn't actually make it more likely. Your entire premise is that getting some kind of collective attention >>> sincere anger as an explanation for why people protest, and all you have to support that hypothesis is that it might be true.

They have not created this scenario, is the point. Vick does not maintain his innocence, so they aren't falsely accusing him. He did what they believe he did, they just happen to disagree with the courts/NFL about what that should mean. If he were not in a profession contingent upon public opinion, I might even be able to say they ought to respect the process, but Vick and his employers get a lot of money exactly because of what people think about them and are willing to do about it, so this is just part of the deal. In fairness to him, he seems to get that, anyways.

Well of course it's just my cynical opinion. I'm not an investigative journalist and I haven't conducted a study where I survey the people who protest Mike Vick and try to correlate that with how much they engage in animal rights throughout the rest of the year besides August. I'm just taking a wild guess that these people in Pittsburgh who are protesting him and the Steelers are currently engaging in their one time appearance this year in the animal rights realm. The people who are threatening their season tickets sure didn't have an issue renewing every year when James Harrison is on the team. But they'll jump on the 'Let's Hate Mike Vick' jamboree because it's practically a tradition. 

The hype for Jarryd Hayne is getting out of hand in New Zealand. He was a big star here on middle earth and the biggest media outlets like the New Zealand Herald are giving his NFL "adventure" the brightest of spotlights.

A lot of talking heads (some of them are not as bad as those found at the world wide leader in sports) are worried that his success may mean a massive talent drain from Rugby (both codes). There is some substance behind that fear in my opinion. I do not expect a large number of established stars to follow suit and lead the exodus to NFL. But young kids may be tempted by the prospect of football scholarships from the US colleges. The Polynesians (just like the African Americans in many southern states) can become a permanent source of international football talents for the College football and eventually the NFL.

Basketball and sports scholarship from American colleges have had some impact on West Indies cricket. Tall athletic youngsters who in the 70s and the 80s wanted to be fast bowlers are now dreaming of the NBA. To be honest the rise of athletics and piss poor cricket administration have fucked up cricket in the West Indies. However some people here in NZ are seeing American football as a similar threat. The earning potential of NFL and the value of a degree from a US college can be tempting for a lot of youngsters (especially among the poorer Pacific Islander community which have been a major source of talent for NZ rugby ).  

I hope Hayne does well, NFL has a great opportunity to make major inroads in OZ, NZ and the Pacific Islands. His success or failure will have a major impact in NZ and Australia.

The hype for Jarryd Hayne is getting out of hand in New Zealand. He was a big star here on middle earth and the biggest media outlets like the New Zealand Herald are giving his NFL "adventure" the brightest of spotlights.

A lot of talking heads (some of them are not as bad as those found at the world wide leader in sports) are worried that his success may mean a massive talent drain from Rugby (both codes). There is some substance behind that fear in my opinion. I do not expect a large number of established stars to follow suit and lead the exodus to NFL. But young kids may be tempted by the prospect of football scholarships from the US colleges. The Polynesians (just like the African Americans in many southern states) can become a permanent source of international football talents for the College football and eventually the NFL.

Basketball and sports scholarship from American colleges have had some impact on West Indies cricket. Tall athletic youngsters who in the 70s and the 80s wanted to be fast bowlers are now dreaming of the NBA. To be honest the rise of athletics and piss poor cricket administration have fucked up cricket in the West Indies. However some people here in NZ are seeing American football as a similar threat. The earning potential of NFL and the value of a degree from a US college can be tempting for a lot of youngsters (especially among the poorer Pacific Islander community which have been a major source of talent for NZ rugby ).  

I hope Hayne does well, NFL has a great opportunity to make major inroads in OZ, NZ and the Pacific Islands. His success or failure will have a major impact in NZ and Australia.

There's already a significant Polynesian presence in the NFL, especially considering how small Polynesians/Pacific islanders are as a percentage of the total US population. It'd be great to see more, though it maybe be bittersweet if it sucks talent away from the All Blacks.

There's already a significant Polynesian presence in the NFL, especially considering how small Polynesians/Pacific islanders are as a percentage of the total US population. It'd be great to see more, though it maybe be bittersweet if it sucks talent away from the All Blacks.

Yeah, me too. But the prospect of a "free" American college degree may be the ultimate game changer. 

Also the average NFL salary dwarfs that of the major Rugby stars. So far the mystic of the All Blacks jersey has kept most of the top level talents in the local super 15 competition during their prime. Similar story for the NRL (the other code) . But many of the big names end up in Europe/Japan at the twilight of their career to earn "big" money. But the NFL salary is astronomical compared to what a player can make by playing Rugby. Hayne was one of the highest paid Rugby players, and his contract would have paid him about a million dollar per year.

My dog, a 120lb Italian Mastiff has a number 7 jersey that has "F*&k Michael Vick" on top for the name...

Are there any Dallas fans that can maybe shed some light on whether the Greg Hardy signing had as much of an uproar as the Mike Vick signing?

Because of the differences in profiles between the two players, comparing them is like comparing apples to rattlesnakes,

Never the less, there was a lot of reaction here in Dallas that was negative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWiB54tXemc

Yeah, me too. But the prospect of a "free" American college degree may be the ultimate game changer. 

Also the average NFL salary dwarfs that of the major Rugby stars. So far the mystic of the All Blacks jersey has kept most of the top level talents in the local super 15 competition during their prime. Similar story for the NRL (the other code) . But many of the big names end up in Europe/Japan at the twilight of their career to earn "big" money. But the NFL salary is astronomical compared to what a player can make by playing Rugby. Hayne was one of the highest paid Rugby players, and his contract would have paid him about a million dollar per year.

A high school basketball player from New Zealand just signed to play with my alma mater, the University of Oklahoma. He'll be here in January.

Archived