NFL 2015 Week 1: Haters gonna Hate the GOAT

Trebla

So for the pick em I'm doing with 3 of my friends, we did a draft of the 32 teams, thus each of us get 8 teams.  We need to pick two of our 8 teams each week to win.  My draft went well, I got Indy, Denver and Dallas with my first three picks.  But this week my matchups aren't great, and I'm torn between Denver vs Baltimore and Cincy @ Oakland.  Which of those teams seems like a safer bet?  Denver is at least at home, but the Ravens are a lot scarier than the Raiders.  Thoughts?  Mex, how are you liking your chances this week?  At the moment I'm leaning towards Cincy. 

I'd be surprised if Cincy lost. Dalton is 14-1 against teams that he hasn't played in the last 2 years, Eifert/Green/Jones/Hill/Bernard are all healthy, Atkins looks like the beast he was and our secondary has a ton of talent. If we lose, it would be a big upset even though we're only favored by 3 points.

So for the pick em I'm doing with 3 of my friends, we did a draft of the 32 teams, thus each of us get 8 teams.  We need to pick two of our 8 teams each week to win.  My draft went well, I got Indy, Denver and Dallas with my first three picks.  But this week my matchups aren't great, and I'm torn between Denver vs Baltimore and Cincy @ Oakland.  Which of those teams seems like a safer bet?  Denver is at least at home, but the Ravens are a lot scarier than the Raiders.  Thoughts?  Mex, how are you liking your chances this week?  At the moment I'm leaning towards Cincy. 

I'd lean towards Cincy too, but yeah, it's tough to trust them with anything. 

I dunno, since Dalton's arrival, beating Oakland in week 1 is actually the kind of game that Cincy always wins.  The problem is you don't win the Super Bowl in September or against teams like the Raiders. 

Is it? The last time the Bengals lost to an opponent they haven't played in the last 2 years was in the opening game against Chicago in 2013. Dalton had a fantastic game but we fumbled the ball like 3 times and Sanu's fumble at the end, specifically, really really hurt. Other than that, Dalton has been excellent against teams like the Raiders. We very rarely lose to games we shouldn't.

I dunno, since Dalton's arrival, beating Oakland in week 1 is actually the kind of game that Cincy always wins.  The problem is you don't win the Super Bowl in September or against teams like the Raiders. 

Is it? The last time the Bengals lost to an opponent they haven't played in the last 2 years was in the opening game against Chicago in 2013. Dalton had a fantastic game but we fumbled the ball like 3 times and Sanu's fumble at the end, specifically, really really hurt. Other than that, Dalton has been excellent against teams like the Raiders. We very rarely lose to games we shouldn't.

Hey, I agree with both of you, which is why I also would lean towards Cincy (though I don't know why "team they haven't played in two years" is statistically significant).

I'm just convinced that some day, Dalton is going to turn into the Ginger Matt Schaub, and who knows when it'll happen?

ETA: In retrospect, maybe I should have just said "hard to trust Dalton" in my original post.

I'm just convinced that some day, Dalton is going to turn into the Ginger Matt Schaub, and who knows when it'll happen?

If by turn into Matt Schaub you mean reveal his mediocrity, then I think that has already happened.  If you mean turn into a turnover machine, then that isn't really Dalton's MO. 

And we're just talking about week 1.  I think it's pretty unlikely that Dalton gets outplayed by Derek Carr, particularly given the talent each of them has to work with. 

Hey, I agree with both of you, which is why I also would lean towards Cincy (though I don't know why "team they haven't played in two years is statistically significant").

ETA: In retrospect, maybe I should have just said "hard to trust Dalton" in my original post.

It's an analysis that was done to show that Dalton is excellent against teams that don't know him well and average against teams that play him more often. The analysis is pretty interesting. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKrYVZGWEAA_45b.jpg:large

And in case anyone thinks the (not in last 2 years opponents) were all bad, here is another chart.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COfeij-WIAENNJb.jpg:large

Schaub had some serious injury issues that helped lead to it. Dalton has been really healthy his career.

If by turn into Matt Schaub you mean reveal his mediocrity, then I think that has already happened.  If you mean turn into a turnover machine, then that isn't really Dalton's MO. 

And we're just talking about week 1.  I think it's pretty unlikely that Dalton gets outplayed by Derek Carr, particularly given the talent each of them has to work with.

Oakland may surprise some people this year. They have a top 10 offensive line that protected Carr really well last year. They also have a fairly strong RB in Latavius Murray and they added what I believe was the best WR coming out of college in Cooper. When they fail this year, it will be because of the defense, but Carr is going to play well.

Oh yeah, Cincy no question. I think it's fair to say that the Raiders are no longer a joke, but they are still a long way from good. Cincy is at the very least a fringe playoff threat, Andy Dalton notwithstanding.

Dalton is already a turnover machine.

Yeah, I didn't realize 2014 was such a bad year for him in that regard.  19 tds, 19 TOs. 

It has gotten progressively worse every season actually, though I do give him somewhat of a pass last year given he only really had Hill healthy for the back half of the season.

Just got home and the cable is sitting in a box in front of the TV. WHAT THE FUCK!?! I'm on hold with the company right now trying to figure out why in the hell the cable guy thought it would be sufficient to just plop all that shit down and not bother, y'know HOOKING IT THE FUCK UP.......................................................................

soooo angry

Ok, some game prediction time for tonight.  What's the score going to be, and who is that one player surprise player we are all going to be talking about tomorrow? 

I think 35-22 Patriots win.,. and the surprise player is going to be Scott Chandler 

I'll go a little higher on the score, say 38-31 Pats. Not so sure about a surprise player. I have a feeling it will be a lot of Gronk for the Pats, and a Double Rapelisberger for the Stillers. No surprises there.

Just got home and the cable is sitting in a box in front of the TV. WHAT THE FUCK!?! I'm on hold with the company right now trying to figure out why in the hell the cable guy thought it would be sufficient to just plop all that shit down and not bother, y'know HOOKING IT THE FUCK UP.......................................................................

Depending on where you live, there's a good chance you could get tonight's game on broadcast. 

So there's been so much negative Pats convo I thought I'd ask something more positive...who from the Pats dynasty is HoF worthy? All the other dynasties have had a number of Hall of Famers and the Pats should have a number as well. Brady and BB are first ballot locks. Randy Moss will certainly get in, too. Who else?

The reason I thought about this was because of a discussion I heard on Chicago sports talk about Vince Wilfork. They were saying how awesome he's been on Hard Knocks and then they wondered if he is a Hall of Famer. 3-4 notes tackles rarely get recognized but he could be the exception. After thinking about it, he may very well be a Hall of Famer because he has absolutely dominated the position for the last decade.

soooo angry

Comcast? If so and you got the X1 upgrade, you have to request them to do the install, as they have some type of home install kit or some shit like that. Pretty much so they don't have to do the work it seems.

Archived