Football 4-3 International break is finally over!

baxus

Fantastic stuff. Sure, it might just be to guarantee that we get a fee (wouldn't be surprised if we found out there was a Madrid-only release clause of a just-more-than-Buffon-cost sort of value), but in any case it's good news and a surprising move from himself considering the supposed difficulties between him and LVG in the transfer window wrangling - he is after all taking the risk that Madrid decide they don't want to pay it after all, and he's stuck with LVG for at least another year.

And I'm planning to, yeah.

I don't understand DDG signing that contract.  In four months he can sign a pre-contract with RM and demand a signing bonus of at least 20 million.  He has pretty much no risk of a career-ending or -interrupting injury in that period. 

Are United giving him a similar signing bonus now in order to sign the contract with a buy-out clause?  I doubt they will pay him as much as RM would.  It seems like DDG has just given a big chunk of his bargaining power back to Utd.

Unless it's a case of his agent looking to generate more transactions for more commissions.  I could believe that.

I read on BBC that the deal is the same one that United put on the table during the summer. No word on whether there is a signing bonus or buyout clause.

Makes no sense. Not a great move for DDG if his lifelong goal was to play for Madrid.

Makes no sense. Not a great move for DDG if his lifelong goal was to play for Madrid.

Perhaps not for DDG, especially if RM decide not to pursue a transfer. Makes perfect sense for United. Wouldn't put too much stock into this "lifelong goal" business. Lots of players say stuff like that.

Perhaps not for DDG, especially if RM decide not to pursue a transfer. Makes perfect sense for United. Wouldn't put too much stock into this "lifelong goal" business. Lots of players say stuff like that.

Yea, lots of players say that but when player say it about one of the best teams in the world which also happens to be their hometown team, they tend to mean it. It's like Fabregas. It's going to happen at some point, question is when.

Yea, lots of players say that but when player say it about one of the best teams in the world which also happens to be their hometown team, they tend to mean it. It's like Fabregas. It's going to happen at some point, question is when.

I recall reports going around maybe 4 or 5 years back about De Gea saying on Spanish radio that he would not play for RM even if they gave him a blank cheque. Maybe he has changed his mind and really means it now when he says it is his lifelong dream to play for RM. Nobody can know for certain except De Gea. If he ends up leaving then so be it. I'm just happy that United now have leverage and will be able to get a premium transfer fee and that we have the services of a top class goalkeeper for one more season at least.

I recall reports going around maybe 4 or 5 years back about De Gea saying on Spanish radio that he would not play for RM even if they gave him a blank cheque. Maybe he has changed his mind and really means it now when he says it is his lifelong dream to play for RM. Nobody can know for certain except De Gea. If he ends up leaving then so be it. I'm just happy that United now have leverage and will be able to get a premium transfer fee and that we have the services of a top class goalkeeper for one more season at least.

I hear you. As a United fan, I'd be ecstatic though if the wage reports are true, fucker got paid.

The big difference is that Fabregas grew up playing for Barca, not for Barca's vicious cross-town rivals.

The thing is, De Gea needs to play this season if he wants to be Spain's goalkeeper at the Euros. If he wants to play, he has to give Man U something to mend fences. The new contract does that.

I hear you. As a United fan, I'd be ecstatic though if the wage reports are true, fucker got paid.

It's being reported as 200k/week, right? After the insanity of the Martial transfer fee, I'd consider that reasonable especially since high earners like RvP, AdM and Falcao are no longer on the books.

It's being reported as 200k/week, right? After the insanity of the Martial transfer fee, I'd consider that reasonable especially since high earners like RvP, AdM and Falcao are no longer on the books.

Indeed they are not. That is one thing about this "everything needs to work in year 1 tactic" that appears to be busied. Sometimes players come in and hit it right off the bat. Sometimes they have a poor year and then come back surprise and even lead a team. We gave up too soon considering that we didn't get people in return. Staggering really to consider that we let RvP, Falcao, Di Maria, Januzaj and Hernandez go, with Martial as the return. LvG will get his results but this team will not challenge for the title.

As for DDG, he could sign a contract paying him in the queen's diamonds, he will depart for Madrid next season regardless. No doubt, he is not for the future. Another one who actually does not want to play for the club, and will depart at first opportunity.

Is your best player still suspended? What about Henderson, back from injury?

I think it looks like a long shot for Liverpool tomorrow.  Coutinho suspended, Firmino yet to find his feet, Henderson probably injured, Lallana probably injured, Allen injured, Lovren apparently set to play again and praised by Rodgers too (does he ever learn?).  Our midfield looks threadbare and we've been really poor going forward so far except for 45 minutes against Arsenal, which was mainly Coutinho.

The positives are that United haven't been great yet either and our best play was away to Arsenal.  I'd take a draw if it was offered now.

Archived