Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

I ain't buying it. Why then is Maithenet so useless in TAE? What was the war about between Moe and Maithenet? When Proyas receives the letter from Maithenet to assist Akka, it just stinks of Moe. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Stuff like this makes me feel like I should set aside time for a re-read. I'll try and make do with the "what's come before" starter section. The re-read for me has to be for when the final part comes out.

If you haven't done a re-read then your missing out. Knowing what you do, the re-read is full of hints and clues through it entirety. It reads as a new book. Madness uses the term layers of revelation, it fits well.

ETA: Moe vs Maith... If Maithenet sent the dreams why don't he have the Mark? 

3 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I ain't buying it. Why then is Maithenet so useless in TAE? What was the war about between Moe and Maithenet? When Proyas receives the letter from Maithenet to assist Akka, it just stinks of Moe. 

If you haven't done a re-read then your missing out. Knowing what you do, the re-read is full of hints and clues through it entirety. It reads as a new book. Madness uses the term layers of revelation, it fits well.

I don't usually do rereads but this series will definitely get one but I'd rather only do it the once (in the next decade). There are a lot of good books I've yet to read once. An audiobook reread may be more likely in the near future. Does anyone know if the reading is any good?

5 hours ago, sologdin said:

so while moe is marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet...buried alive...buried alive...he is able nevertheless to cause maitha to be assassinated, the murdered father's revenge against the oedipal son?

If we still had the like function, I'd totally hit this one up for the Khan reference.

I don't usually do rereads but this series will definitely get one but I'd rather only do it the once (in the next decade). There are a lot of good books I've yet to read once. An audiobook reread may be more likely in the near future. Does anyone know if the reading is any good?

I actually just re-listened to the what has come before part of the TTT audiobook. It's so thorough (90 min for that part) that you'll get a good refresher. I like the reader.

I have started my first reread of the series.  I know I read this book and recognize some of the early parts but at the same time it feels like I didn't read the book properly at all the first time around.  I need a damn companion guide like I check out when reading Lymond. Is there a nice companion guide out on the interwebz somewhere?

In the re-read I noticed the Cishaurim beheaded by Kellhus in TWP is implied to look just like Moe (and Kellhus) and Kellhus only realises it isn't his father when they get to face to face, and the differentiation he uses is age. Also when he "scans" him the overwhelming read is "purpose".

Mission is everything.

4 hours ago, .H. said:

The newest tSA cast is up now: TDTCB Reread Cast for those who might be interested.

It was myself, Bolivar and Madness, where I stretch the limits of them keeping me on track and not rambling.

Sweet, will check it out asap.  Thanks for doing these, all of you

eta:

Larry, I found another holiday. This time it was celebrated while on the march to fight the Fanim. Seems to be a Conryian holiday.

Right on, thanks.  I can't remember why I was wondering about those, probably had something to do with blood chemistry.

At this point I can only assume that reading this book is much like watching Samara from the Ring, and the only reason Madness survived is that he got Sci to read it (and then die) after he did. 

32 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Any word on why eating Sranc for sustenance is known as “the apophagia”?

online etymology dictionary handles this:

apo-

before vowels ap-, word-forming element meaning "from, away from, separate, free from," from Greek apo "from, away from; after; in descent from," in compounds, "from, asunder, away, off; finishing, completing; ceasing from; back again," from PIE root *apo- "off, away" (cognates: Sanskrit apa "away from," Avestan apa "away from," Latin ab "away from, from," Gothic af, Old English of "away from").

-phagous

word-forming element meaning "eating, feeding on," from Latin -phagus, from Greek -phagos "eater of," from phagein "to eat," literally "to have a share of food," from PIE root *bhag- "to share out, apportion, distribute," also "to get a share" (cognates: Sanskrit bhajati "assigns, allots, apportions, enjoys, loves," bhagah "allotter, distributor, master, lord," bhaksati "eats, drinks, enjoys;" Persian bakhshidan "to give;" Old Church Slavonic bogatu "rich").

Archived