Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

What I still don’t understand is why we aren’t publishing more Bakker fanfiction. There is so much narrative energy in these threads, so much passion… 

Where is the story of the slightly clumsy, secretly beautiful Yatwerian adept who is wooed by two different Nansur columnaries, one dark, one light

I'd done two before reading the Unmentionable, HE, and I have a third in me that'll have to wait til after TAE is finished so I can write post it (so as not to be accused of spoilers or poaching Bakker's new, improved writing).

Aside me, a number of people have done fan-fiction on Three Pound Brain.

EDIT: Also, I'll keep noting, the series reread - which has nothing to do with me and is open spoilers - has kicked off over at the Second Apocalypse forum.

You know you can talk about a book without spoiling, right? And you can talk about book 1 of a series without spoiling books 6 and 7. Honestly, unless Bakker gave you the manuscript on the condition that you don't discuss the content of the series until the books are released I think you're being a bit too paranoid here.

I don't want any spoilers of note; not after a slog such as this. 

As to fan fiction, it would be fascinating to know which of you is the most depraved. 

You know you can talk about a book without spoiling, right? And you can talk about book 1 of a series without spoiling books 6 and 7. Honestly, unless Bakker gave you the manuscript on the condition that you don't discuss the content of the series until the books are released I think you're being a bit too paranoid here.

Lol - I don't get this comment. In regards to the reread, I've found that community is more conducive without me.

I'd done two before reading the Unmentionable, HE, and I have a third in me that'll have to wait til after TAE is finished so I can write post it (so as not to be accused of spoilers or poaching Bakker's new, improved writing).

Aside me, a number of people have done fan-fiction on Three Pound Brain.

EDIT: Also, I'll keep noting, the series reread - which has nothing to do with me and is open spoilers - has kicked off over at the Second Apocalypse forum.

I havnt been too active recently here on these forums, so please forgive my ignorance, but who are you that you've gotten to read the books already?? Are you his editor or something?

I havnt been too active recently here on these forums, so please forgive my ignorance, but who are you that you've gotten to read the books already?? Are you his editor or something?

Wathi Doll is more like it.

Haven't you refrained from discussing the series for the past 2 years or so because you don't want to spoil TUC? I'm just saying it's a bit too much. Especially now that the book that you've read is coming out in two parts, the second in late 2017.

I get what your saying, I do. But bakker entrusted Madness with the Unholy. And, probably on terms that he doesn't discuss it in any manner. In one of his podcasts, Madness may or may not revealed a fav fan theory (I think he did). That was the last podcast. What he's saying is he doesn't trust hisself and in turn doesn't want to violate the trust Bakker put into him. Why is that so hard to understand? He's human. And would feel like shit is he let something from the next book slip on accident.

Haven't you refrained from discussing the series for the past 2 years or so because you don't want to spoil TUC? I'm just saying it's a bit too much. Especially now that the book that you've read is coming out in two parts, the second in late 2017.

About a year and a half. It'll be quite a tale to hear after the fact, trust me. I apologize if my being here in any capacity - to promote Bakker, despite the toxic environment - and referencing my inability to discuss the books offends you?

I mean, look at the current reread at SA. The whole reason The Almanac failed (until I return to speculating) where The Slog succeeds is in the freedom to refer to what comes after. Layers of Revelation - they haven't made it past Ch. 2 and yet they're discussing the ends of all things, basically culminating in a group mechanism cataloging what has and has not been solved over the course of the series as of WLW, so much does each succeeding volume change what came before.

I don't like the sound of this. Did Bakker change his style since WLW? "New and improved" in my experience usually means "it fucking sucks compared to the old, familiar thing you've grown to love".

Lmao - no. Bakker wrote TDTCB for 15+ years as nothing more than a hobby. In his first rise, he published seven novels in eight years (not counting Light, Time, and Gravity, which sits written and unpublished on his blog). By "new, improved" I'm referencing comments I made elsewhere about how Bakker's writing has sharpened over the intervening years, fiddling between WLW (2011) and now, thankfully enough to write the story he's ambitiously planned to tell because shit gets fucking real from here on out.

A fanatic, Ghjhero, nothing more. I took a creative writing course Bakker taught a number of years ago, became friends with an idol of mine, and have had the immense honour of helping mid-wif this story we all know and love. Or love to hate, depending on who you are among the Westerosi.

I get what your saying, I do. But bakker entrusted Madness with the Unholy. And, probably on terms that he doesn't discuss it in any manner. In one of his podcasts, Madness may or may not revealed a fav fan theory (I think he did). That was the last podcast. What he's saying is he doesn't trust hisself and in turn doesn't want to violate the trust Bakker put into him. Why is that so hard to understand? He's human. And would feel like shit is he let something from the next book slip on accident.

Thanks, MSJ. By the way, I wasn't in the last Cast, unless you count my arbitrary Golf-Cart interruption and then asking where the Casters thought the series was going in TUC. But in the future I'm definitely going to go over the things I've said and written in the past year and a half and see what, if anything, I have unintentionally given away.

About a year and a half. It'll be quite a tale to hear after the fact, trust me. I apologize if my being here in any capacity - to promote Bakker, despite the toxic environment - and referencing my inability to discuss the books offends you?

Offends me? No. Not sure where you got that from. I’m just saying if you want to discuss the series either here or on TSA forum - despite the toxic environment -  (I’m assuming that you want to) then I don’t see why you’re “unable to do so.” You’ve put too much of a burden on yourself - for a year and a half now and another year and a half until TUC comes out...

But now that I think about it, why do I even care... O_o

It's kind of ironic to blame Bakker for the current environment. I suspect most of the current toxicity stems from one individual from Westeros sock-puppeting on TSA forum in order to troll - posting mainly about rape and semen, throwing out sexist comments and conducting bigoted rants in the quorum chat.

I mean, there's plenty of value for me in engaging many of the members here, but personally I find the volume of snippy, valueless replies and vapid in-group references from the hangers-on to be tiresome.  Always has been.

It's kind of ironic to blame Bakker for the current environment. I suspect most of the current toxicity stems from one individual from Westeros sock-puppeting on TSA forum in order to troll - posting mainly about rape and semen, throwing out sexist comments and conducting bigoted rants in the quorum chat.

Wait - someone actually does that? Hee.

Archived