My Interpretation of Eddard's "wolf blood" comment

TimJames

At one point, Eddard says something along the lines of "Lyanna's wolf blood lead her to her grave". Many fans have argued that this proves Lyanna eloped, but I have a theory on something else Eddard could have meant by that.

I think Eddard was saying something along the lines of "Lyanna was too good for this cruel world". 

Thoughts?

I personally think that wolf blood means wild and thoughtless, not prove of elopement though. Only ran away 
Maybe she was a good girl (then again good girl doesn't run away with married father of 2) but she was foolish for sure

Here's the quote:

"It has a name, does it?" Her father sighed. "Ah, Arya. You have a wildness in you, child. 'The wolf blood,' my father used to call it. Lyanna had a touch of it, and my brother Brandon more than a touch. It brought them both to an early grave." Arya heard sadness in his voice; he did not often speak of his father, or of the brother and sister who had died before she was born. "Lyanna might have carried a sword, if my lord father had allowed it. You remind me of her sometimes. You even look like her."

Somehow I don't think it means what you think it means. It seems the wolf blood is a bit of a negative.  Brings out the wild side of people. 

People, since when wolf blood is a very positive comment? 

Brandon has a high share of wolf blood. 

What did he achieve? 

Deflower maidens without marriage and behave like an idiot by committing treason. 

He is called gallant fool. 

Wolf blood means hotheaded, wild and willful. 

I personally think that wolf blood means wild and thoughtless, not prove of elopement though. Only ran away 
Maybe she was a good girl (then again good girl doesn't run away with married father of 2) but she was foolish for sure

Sansa was a definition of "good girl" and we know what she did. So, Lyanna running away with Rhaegar isn't far-fetched, especially having in mind "wolf's blood".

It's not a compliment, but imo it's not an insult, either, given that the Stark totem is the wolf. Their identity is tied to the wolf.
Wolf blood can make a person impulsive, passionate, etc. If you take that too far, though, you become a lone wolf, which I think happened to Lyanna:

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm."

Anyhow, Ned isn't trying to discourage Arya's wolf blood, in that he gives her a weapons master instead of a dancing master. He's trying to channel it into something that might be useful to the Stark pack.

"Wolf Blood" is the true nature of the Starks. Eddard and his children were more Arryn and Tully than they were real Starks in nature. 

Arya seems to be the only "Starkish" Stark, so I believe that's why Ned says that. He was raised an Arryn and thinks that's the proper way to act. 

and rickon the angry wolf. 

It's not a compliment, but imo it's not an insult, either, given that the Stark totem is the wolf. Their identity is tied to the wolf.
Wolf blood can make a person impulsive, passionate, etc. If you take that too far, though, you become a lone wolf, which I think happened to Lyanna:

"Let me tell you something about wolves, child. When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Summer is the time for squabbles. In winter, we must protect one another, keep each other warm, share our strengths. So if you must hate, Arya, hate those who would truly do us harm."

Anyhow, Ned isn't trying to discourage Arya's wolf blood, in that he gives her a weapons master instead of a dancing master. He's trying to channel it into something that might be useful to the Stark pack.

This. I really don't know where OP gets this "too good for this world" thing. Can you explain? Because the way I saw it, Ned tires to be neutral about it but adds a bit of a warning. Impulsive behaviour is not great to survive, and only focusing on what one wants is what destroys the pack under times of duress.

Archived