Video Games Thread: For the Love of Zeus, Give Me One!

Jace, Extat

I was tempted to buy Batman: Arkham Knight since I've played the other two but after looking at the Steam reviews I didn't. Apparently the port is quite bad. Looks like it'll be a buy on a console to play that, because the other two Arkham games I've played were great games.

2 hours ago, JonArryn said:

I was tempted to buy Batman: Arkham Knight since I've played the other two but after looking at the Steam reviews I didn't. Apparently the port is quite bad. Looks like it'll be a buy on a console to play that, because the other two Arkham games I've played were great games.

Yeah I've heard nothing good about the PC version, but I didn't have any issues with the xbox version. It's a very good game IMO and better than it's predecessors in several aspects, but it's also got more glaring flaws than all the previous games. I'd recommend it, but I definitely prefer Arkham City overall.

2 hours ago, JonArryn said:

The PC port is terribly optimized, yeah. I was able to play and enjoy it but I have a bit of an overkill PC and even still the game had framerate drops whenever I was moving at speed (either gliding, grappling or boosting in the Batmobile). 

Definitely get it for console if you want to play it. It's not as good as City or Asylum IMO though, even ignoring the technical issues. 

52 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak came out today and has gotten some excellent reviews. So I'm off to play that now.

I was very tempted to pre-order it yesterday just for the 20% discount. But these days I hesitate to buy new games until a good amount of reviews has piled up. The only previews I've seen so far where for multiplayer. I am interested in the campaign. If it's as engaging and challenging as the HW games, I'll buy it.

3 hours ago, JonArryn said:

As honest game trailers put it, welcome to Batman : World of tanks. 

Good game, but the batmobile aspects of it become boring, tedious work. 

I liked Arkham Knight, but whizzing around in the Batmobile and the number of Batmobile missions was overkill. All the non-batmobile stuff was great, and it's awesome fun just gliding around the city. However like all the Batman games once I finished the main story I put the game down and didn't pick it up again. I have no interest in finishing all the side stuff.

I think I'm the only person on earth who enjoyed the Batmobile more or less throughout the campaign. What made me put it down and never pick it up again was the inability to switch characters after completion. I played FFR (Fight Fight Revolution) with Selena Kyle for hours on end in Arkham City in places like the courthouse and museum.

To me the Arkham combat system is incredibly rhythmic and relaxing, and it's literally my favorite combat gameplay ever. A lot of games do the same attack/counter system, but nothing I've played can stand next to Arkham without looking like a cheap knockoff.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:45 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Shit! Why did I discover Gwent (The Witcher 3)? My main playthrough has almost ground to a halt as I travel around trying to expand my decks and win games. I still haven't managed to compile full decks of Monsters, Nilfgaard or Scoia'tael, so I am still playing as Northern Realms. And my NR deck has hit a bit of a plateau in quality as I keep winning cards from other factions. My deck is not good enough to reliably win games on Skellige, so I need to go back and play / buy more in Novigrad and Velen to get a better deck. I'm 3 cards away from being able to field Nilfgaards, but there are a few weak cards in there.

I really want to find decoy cards, those are so bloody annoying to play against. I also want to find some 1 power spy cards.

Is CDPR going to make an online stand alone version available? 

I don't know if CDPR is going to make a standalone version available, but if you want a physical version, Gwent is pretty heavily "inspired by" (less charitably, rips off) the card game Condottiere, a great game. The only major differences are that Condottiere is meant for 3 players +, there's no ranged/melee/siege mechanic, there's no deck building, and there's a meta-game in which you're trying to control territories in Renaissance Italy. Otherwise, it's the same game, from cards ranging from 1-10 that can be affected by other cards (such as a doubling card, a decoy card, weather cards), hero cards, etc.... I highly recommend it. In some ways, it's better than Gwent, since the number of people playing and the longer game time leads to a lot more bluffing and winning through tactics rather than just having a better deck.

But I hear you. I'm 25 hours into Witcher 3 and Gwent is eating up a lot of play time. I found decoy cards around Velen- I think the inkeeper at the inn of the crossing had one, along with the quartermaster at the Baron's fort. Would love some 1 power spy cards as well.

It's a phenomenal game, all around. I loved Dragon Age: Inquisition and still think it melds a character focused, plot heavy RPG and open world game very well, but at this point I think that the Witcher 3 just did it better, thanks in particular to the very strong writing in both the main plot and side quests. Those Bloody Baron quests..

15 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I think I'm the only person on earth who enjoyed the Batmobile more or less throughout the campaign. What made me put it down and never pick it up again was the inability to switch characters after completion. I played FFR (Fight Fight Revolution) with Selena Kyle for hours on end in Arkham City in places like the courthouse and museum.

To me the Arkham combat system is incredibly rhythmic and relaxing, and it's literally my favorite combat gameplay ever. A lot of games do the same attack/counter system, but nothing I've played can stand next to Arkham without looking like a cheap knockoff.

I didn't mind the Batmobile sequences. Actually, I really enjoyed them at first but by the end of the game I just didn't mind them anymore. 

The only one that bothered me was the Deathstroke "boss fight". That could have been so much cooler than it was.

28 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I loved the batmobile at the start, then i realized half the missions (if not more) involve using it. The tank fights were the worst part of the game. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I was very tempted to pre-order it yesterday just for the 20% discount. But these days I hesitate to buy new games until a good amount of reviews has piled up. The only previews I've seen so far where for multiplayer. I am interested in the campaign. If it's as engaging and challenging as the HW games, I'll buy it.

There's been quite a few reviews, they're all pretty complimentary about the campaign. The only negatives are the length (13 missions and only one faction in SP is a bit frugal) and the fact that some finer unit placement controls aren't present, but they're also unnecessary.

Deserts of Kharak is pretty damn fine. The polish to the game is very impressive. As a cinematic, narrative experience it's probably a lot better than the first three Homeworld games. I was worried about the desert environment getting too samey, but 5 missions in they've done some smart stuff to vary it up (different times of day, night missions, sandstorms, rocky, mountains terrain as well as open dunes etc). I'd love to see a Dune game in this engine, actually.

The "lore-breaking" people have been whinging about is pretty well-handled. Yes, some retcons, but nothing major and nothing unprecedented for this franchise. The way they tie stuff in with the later games is also pretty well-done. Fantastic music, excellent graphics and some challenging missions.

My biggest issue is the lack of fine ground positioning controls and commands. What you have is more than adequate, but the 16-year-old Ground Control has hugely superior options for formations and facing. That's something a lot of other games, including Dawn of War and Company of Heroes (whose developers are among the Deserts of Kharak team) have had for well over a decade at this point. The camera controls are also a bit iffy. They're the same as Homeworld 2's, but what works for space doesn't necessarily work as well for the ground. Again, it works really well, but Ground Control's system was a lot better. Ironically, as GC drew some inspiration from the original Homeworld.

On 1/16/2016 at 2:55 PM, Kalbear said:

That dragon, cancer is fucking brutal.

When I saw what that game was about, I went 'Nope. That's not something I can handle.' I'm glad that games like that are continuing to get made and be generally well-received though (certain low corners of the internet notwithstanding).

I've been extremely inconsistent in my gaming recently. Its been months since I actually played a game to completion, instead I've been jumping around between games I've played before and new stuff that either disappoints pretty quickly (mostly obscure RPGs that I bought during the steam sale) or that I just eventually lose interest in. Its been frustrating. And at this point I have so many half-finished games, I don't even know where I'd start if I went back to try finishing some of them up. I've come to the realization that, unless a game's story is just fantastic, if its longer then 10 hours I'm probably not going to finish it.

22 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

FWIW, the DLC's handle a bit of that desire for me.  I liked playing as Red Hood in his missions.  Harley was a lot of fun.  I think Batgirl might have been my favorite.  Dunno if you want to put the money into it.  I was conned into buying the "Season Pass" by the quasi goth girl at the counter at GameStop when I pre-ordered it long ago.  :dunno: 

Arkham Knight might have been my disappointing game ever.  I loved Asylum and City and even Origins.  I put Knight well behind any of those.  Shame, because so much of it was set up so well.  The combat and exploration were as solid as ever.  The Batmobile sequences just pulled me out of the game.  I liked it in situations where it was just another gadget to solve puzzles; but driving aimlessly in the same circuit around town trying to run one specific car off the road was tedious.  Its the main reason I gave up on the Riddler stuff so early and didn't bother with the Firefly stuff after the first run in with him.  I did most of the Two Face (more predator missions?  Yes please) and all the Penguin missions (team combat with Nightwing was fun).  I think I had my biggest gaming "No God! No!!!!!!!!" moment after the tunnel fight with Arkham Knight.

Spoiler

Batmobile is destroyed and I let out a serious cry of joy.  The game seemed like it was barreling to a conclusion with the Jason Todd reveal.  The Babs is alive.  Things are going great...

Then there's 60 tanks outside and Bruce looks at Babs and says "Don't worry... Luscious made a spare."  :crying::crying::crying:  :bang: 

And after all that... the game just sort of ended.  I honestly didn't even realize the main story was finished.  Huge disappointment, but several sections that were as good as anything in the Arkham series.  :dunno: 

Ass Creed movie has finished filming and is in post production now. What are people's predictions for it being a success:

1) Financially (i.e. making a gross that gets the movie past break even)? 

2) Drawing in a sizeable audience, even if not quite big enough to be financially successful?

3) Getting decent reviews (60%+ on Rotten Tomatoes)?

41 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ass Creed movie has finished filming and is in post production now. What are people's predictions for it being a success:

1) Financially (i.e. making a gross that gets the movie past break even)? 

2) Drawing in a sizeable audience, even if not quite big enough to be financially successful?

3) Getting decent reviews (60%+ on Rotten Tomatoes)?

1) Between all the gamer fans and Michael Fassbender fans, possible - provided critics don't tare it to shreds (but there is also Rogue One in that time period to contend with)

2) Yes (fans as I said above)

3) :lol:

Archived