NFL Season Week 13: Better to live 1 day as a Packer than 100 years as a Lion

Trebla

This article has pictures of the three huge failures of the Lions on that play.

1. 3 man rush

2. Two guys covering the 40 yard line for no reason at the time the pass went up.

3.  All six Lions defenders are in the middle/back of the end zone.  None is covering Rogers. In fact, other than Rogers having a clean catch, the player in the next best position is also a Packer. 

This article has pictures of the three huge failures of the Lions on that play.

1. 3 man rush

2. Two guys covering the 40 yard line for no reason at the time the pass went up.

3.  All six Lions defenders are in the middle/back of the end zone.  None is covering Rogers. In fact, other than Rogers having a clean catch, the player in the next best position is also a Packer. 

Perfect. I like a one stop shop.

I think the cherry on top is Jim Caldwell admitting they weren't expecting a Hail Mary. If there's one QB I'd fear being able to throw 65 yards it's Rodgers. And make no mistake, it was maybe the most beautiful Hail Mary throw I've ever seen. But the Lions made it easy on them. Never seen a Hail Mary play where there are many offensive players in the end zone as defensive. 

Never seen a Hail Mary play where there are many offensive players in the end zone as defensive. 

Or where the offensive players seem to be in perfect position, but the defensive players are all either scrambling or just watching. 

Literally if I just stood at the 3 yard line with my hands raised, I would have played better defense than all 6 of the Lions defenders in the end zone.  And that's not even getting into the 2 guys eating a sandwich at the 40.

How many fluff pieces do you think we're gonna get about the Packers' 'resiliency' instead of their absolute mediocrity?

Listen, Rodgers is a great player. But I think this year has highlighted that he can't put a team on his fucking back the way a Tom Brady or former Peyton Manning could.

I've heard a lot of people compare him to Joe Montana, (note, I never saw Montana play live. I was born in the eighties), and I think that's an apt comparison. He's fucking great, an all-timer. And part of his greatness is sorta the team and coaching around him.

What am I driving at here? I think the best 2 QB's in the history of the game were Brady and Manning. They're what every team is trying to find at the beginning of every year. That guy who can at worst drag your shitty fucking team to 11-5 every year when the defense is a leaky faucet and the O-line is Swiss Cheese (in Manning's case) or the receivers are dirt (Brady). I honestly just don't think Rodgers is as good as peak Brady or peak Manning. Those guys made it look fucking easy with nothing at receiver and mediocrity at O-line, but the first time Rodgers' receivers start catching injury the offense folds like a lawn chair.

Meh, he's been on their level statistically, and I have feared him the most in the last 5 years. But his peak of carrying a team has not seemed as apparent to me as the other two.

You're out of your mind.

Perfect. I like a one stop shop.

I think the cherry on top is Jim Caldwell admitting they weren't expecting a Hail Mary. If there's one QB I'd fear being able to throw 65 yards it's Rodgers. And make no mistake, it was maybe the most beautiful Hail Mary throw I've ever seen. But the Lions made it easy on them. Never seen a Hail Mary play where there are many offensive players in the end zone as defensive.

Is that for real? I guess it explains why Megatron wasn't on the field.

Robert Mays, Grantland refugee now at Peter King's site, on Aaron Rodgers:

I remember a conversation Barnwell and I had once, about the basement a team would have with a healthy Aaron Rodgers under center for 16 games. We settled on 8-8. It was the worst we could envision an NFL team finishing with him at the helm, if all else went wrong while he was still the one flinging it. What happened last night made me think we might have been right. That’s a game the Packers lose with anyone else. That’s a game that should send a season further down the river. With Rodgers, it becomes another example of why no defense is safe with him across the line of scrimmage.

For Lions fans, it’s another moment of heartbroken incredulity. For Bears fans, another look at the beast who’s guarded the door of the division for nearly a decade. For Vikings fans, the creak of a boogeyman who haunts their playoff dreams. If you’re a fan of another team, maybe that fear isn’t so engrained. But do us NFC North folks a favor. Go watch that half—14 of 20 for 197 yards and three total touchdowns—and that throw again. Then tell me you’re not at least a tiny bit afraid. 

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/03/kansas-city-chiefs-week-13-nfl-preview 

It's hard for me to give Rodgers too much credit for scoring a touchdown on a play when the Lions did virtually everything wrong you possibly can.  Yes, he played well earlier in the half, but he also played very poorly in the first half.  Scoring 21 points at the 59 minute mark (even with relatively few weapons available) hardly seems like quarterbacking wizardry. 

I mean, we all already considered Rodgers either the best or second best quarterback in the league, right?  Why would this game change your opinion of him?

It's hard for me to give Rodgers too much credit for scoring a touchdown on a play when the Lions did virtually everything wrong you possibly can.  Yes, he played well earlier in the half, but he also played very poorly in the first half.  Scoring 21 points at the 59 minute mark (even with relatively few weapons available) hardly seems like quarterbacking wizardry. 

I mean, we all already considered Rodgers either the best or second best quarterback in the league, right?  Why would this game change your opinion of him?

I have to agree. The remarkable thing here was Detroit's defensive breakdown. You weren't expecting a Hail Mary? What the fuck were you expecting?

You're out of your mind.

That I may be, but clearly I am inside of yours.

We all have our one thing we're completely insane about instead of just normal crazy. You think Sam Bradford's good, I hate Aaron Rodgers and admit that he's the most talented passer in the league, but not the best quarterback. It just really irks me how much every 'journalist' worships the ground he fucking walks on. A last second Hail Mary to beat the goddamn Lions after being shut out in the first half, and the coach put 9 players on the field for the final play? Yeah, impressive throw and great job breaking the pocket to get it off. But don't tell me that Eli Manning or Tom Brady (when he was Rodgers' age) or Joe Fucking Flacco couldn't have done that same thing if they'd been playing against that lobotomized defense.

That rant isn't directed at you, sperry.

I was really fucking drunk last night too so... yeah.

You think Sam Bradford's good, I hate Aaron Rodgers and admit that he's the most talented passer in the league, but not the best quarterback. It just really irks me how much every 'journalist' worships the ground he fucking walks on.

I just can't see how you can hate Rodger's unless you're a fan of another NFC North squad. The guy comes across as being pretty damn humble and he has a great sense of humor. You never seeing screaming at his teammates like Brady or Manning. I get the hate for the sports journalist ass-kissing, but that's not on him.  

Kalbear,

Remember our discussion from last week? I submit last night as why it's a bad idea to make penalties unreviewable in the final two minutes. :P

Yeah, I think that's a good summary of why it would be good to review. 

And man, the Lions. If Jim Caldwell wasn't going to be fired, he should have been fired for that. Or at least whoever the dessicated remains of their DCoordinator is. Someone loses their job over that. Just an incredible failure by the Lions defense. 

Things I hate about Rodgers:

1) His performance on the Office

2) The creepy R-E-L-A-X soundbite that sounds like Rodgers is attempting to seduce the listener or something. I swear it gets played on the radio here all the time.

3) That time he stole Olivia Munn from me

Just kidding. I'm Frisky Trisky! I love everything about Rodgers. I miss his scent. I miss his musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think me and him should get an apartment together.

Not to mention they failed to use Megatron in the end zone to play d. Wtf.

Wait, didn't I mention that? :P 

Things I hate about Rodgers:

1) His performance on the Office

2) The creepy R-E-L-A-X soundbite that sounds like Rodgers is attempting to seduce the listener or something. I swear it gets played on the radio here all the time.

3) That time he stole Olivia Munn from me

Just kidding. I'm Frisky Trisky! I love everything about Rodgers. I miss his scent. I miss his musk. When this all gets sorted out, I think me and him should get an apartment together.

Wait, didn't I mention that? :P 

My mistake,  will.edit. 

Yeah, I think that's a good summary of why it would be good to review. 

And man, the Lions. If Jim Caldwell wasn't going to be fired, he should have been fired for that. Or at least whoever the dessicated remains of their DCoordinator is. Someone loses their job over that. Just an incredible failure by the Lions defense. 

If it had been a road game I'd have told him to find his own way home.

Archived