Vampires, differing lores- whats your fav ?

princess_snow

I played Soul Reaver 2, and that was it from the series. Suffice to say you're only getting a slither of the story. But I liked the setting, and the aesthetic,you have all these puzzle solving temples (my favourite is the Aztec one (I think it was air)) And because of the time travel you can see all the areas in different time periods. I also remember the demons when they show up being very tough.

My favorite vampire lore is depicted in Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  Interview with the Vampire came out in 1976 and it feels like I grew up reading those books.  When I think of vampires, Rice's world is what I think of. 

I love Bram Stoker's Dracula as well.  Stoker's vampires are much more loathsome than Rice's.  Reading Rice's work there's a part of you that wants to be one of the vampires, but you don't want to be Dracula in Stoker's novel.  Another big difference is Stoker's lore is rooted more in myth than Rice's.  Stoker used things like the invitation, the sleeping in native soil, the holy ground/water, the crossing of flowing water in a certain direction...stuff like this if I remember correctly.  Rice had none of these supernatural laws so to speak.

Kostova's The Historian is basically a take on Stoker's lore but it's a surprisingly good read.

There is a vampire myth from I cannot remember which country that describes vampires as obsessive compulsive counters.  I always loved this lore and found Sesame Street's The Count all the cooler for it.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/Obligatory

The count really loves to ******...

This made me remember another thing I like about Rice's vampires: the strange erotic tension. Not quite sexual, but there was something there, an attraction that you couldn't figure out, like they were beyond that. Unlike True Blood (and its novels)'s vampires, that are basically undead sex machines.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:30 AM, The BlackBear said:

Well generally the drinking blood thing is a metaphor for sex (often rape) so I think it is meant to be straightforward erotic tension.

My theory on it is that vampirism is a metaphor for humanity victimizing humanity in general.

5 minutes ago, W. Wrycthen said:

My theory on it is that vampirism is a metaphor for humanity victimizing humanity in general.

Yeah, I think that's a good surface metaphor for vampirism. Maybe a little more specifically I see vampires as being bad boys or femme fatales. People you know you should avoid relationships with, but that you can't resist. 

53 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I think that's a good surface metaphor for vampirism. Maybe a little more specifically I see vampires as being bad boys or femme fatales. People you know you should avoid relationships with, but that you can't resist. 

There is a lot of that in vampire-related media. As if the human is a lamb to some form of slaughter.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Just got back from seeing the new Underworld film. Good cheesy fun, as expected, with copious betrayals, and lots and lots of action. Charles Dance was in it too.

Oh and: 

Hide contents

Kate Beckinsale with hair highlights!

How many movies are they up to now?

And is Kate in all of them?

18 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

This is the fifth one. 

Kate's in all but the third one (which was a prequel).

I think I must have missed the third one and then never saw the fourth.  I saw and really enjoyed the first two.

Clicked on the thread to post about "Fevre Dream", I just read it yesterday myself.  Probably one of the best stories regarding vampire lore I've read.  I'd recently began reading Gurm's other works, Wild Cards, 1000 worlds etc, and the same YTube channel (Preston Jacobs) that put me onto them recommended Fevre.  So much to like about it.

True Blood was great too, it came along in a period of my life where I could really appreciate some of their themes, plus I'd really liked Alexander Skarsgard in "Generation Kill", and thought he was brilliant in TB as well.

The Blade comics I liked as well, and wished the TV show had been better and lasted longer.  The first film, despite having Stephen Dorph aboard (always curses..well everything he's in IMO), had potential to spawn a great series of films, but the 2nd one put that RIGHT off the rails. 

+1 or whatever for The Lost Boys as well, great fav of mine as a kid in the 80s. 

Lastly for my list, Anne Rice's world of vampires, both books and the first film,  a Cruise film I could actually stand, and even go so far as to say enjoy.

2 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Clicked on the thread to post about "Fevre Dream", I just read it yesterday myself.  Probably one of the best stories regarding vampire lore I've read.  I'd recently began reading Gurm's other works, Wild Cards, 1000 worlds etc, and the same YTube channel (Preston Jacobs) that put me onto them recommended Fevre.  So much to like about it.

I actually think Fevre Dream is Martin's best novel. It's a relic from the days when he could actually structure these things. Not quite the greatest vampire novel of the twentieth century (that title belongs to Matheson's I Am Legend), but excellent nonetheless.

There is the gaping logical hole though:

If vampire pregnancy killed the mother, the vampire species would have become extinct, unless there were multiple births for each pregnancy - of which is there is no evidence.

3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

There is the gaping logical hole though:

Hide contents

If vampire pregnancy killed the mother, the vampire species would have become extinct, unless there were multiple births for each pregnancy - of which is there is no evidence.

Spoiler

Or a combination of frequent twins and most offspring being female?

Archived