Who is your favourite "tough" female character?

Thuckey

Brienne is one of the most moral characters in the series, so I cheer for her, even though she's a little boring.

For entertainment value I'd pick Arya. She's had so many crazy adventures and I like following her journey. 

I also love the Mormont ladies, from Maege to Lyanna. Her letter to Stannis cracked me up (though it was also due to Stannis' unique sense of humor :D).

Yeah, I forgot about the Mormont women.

Fuck there are just so many strong female characters in this series.. you don't see that in anything else unless it's a female super-god ninja main heroine on some cheesy action flick.

Oh yeah, the Mormont women are an arse-kicking crew and then some. We see so little of them, though.

I can picture the younger Mormont girls ages 5-12 or so being aggressive hairy little munchkins beating up all the little boys on bear island

I can picture the younger Mormont girls ages 5-12 or so being aggressive hairy little munchkins beating up all the little boys on bear island

The boys probably have to be the Ironborn in their games and be driven back to the sea.

Cersei fucking Lannister. I don't care what anyone says. That woman is a badass through and through. She's tough. 

People just act like Cersei's problems are all of her own making (and many of them are), but they conveniently forget she's basically been shit on by everyone her whole life. Joanna died. Tywin ignored her and treated her like a glorified prostitute. Tyrion routinely mocked her and embarrassed her. The only time her husband wasn't drunkenly cheating on her was when he was drunkenly raping her. The court hated her. The Tyrells belittled her. The commoners despised her.  And yet she survived, fiercer than ever. 

And physically, she's also a tough cookie. I mean, it takes some fortitude to be drunk every second of the day LOL. When the Faith arrests her, she went down swinging, literally. She took her imprisonment like a boss. She was starved, beaten, and sleep deprived and she fucking took it. She was paraded through the streets of her own city, naked as her name day, getting screamed at and having shit thrown at her. And she fucking took it. The woman's hard. 

I hope in the next book we actually get to see Cersei fight someone so she can wreck their shit. 

While she might be named as general (Mormont women), nobody named her specific: Alysane Mormont who I totally adore. 

I love Asha too. 

The not-fighting though women: Sansa, Cat and Wylla

Cat's inability to love a motherless child is more than enough to earn bitch status.

As far as my favorite women, Ygritte was such a badass. Dany probably the top choice though. The idea she's even still alive is enough, but then add her accomplishments and the dragons.. Yeah she's badass.

Wyla Manderly and Lyanna Mormont deserve mentions.

Cat's inability to love a motherless child is more than enough to earn bitch status.

Then I will happily and unapologetically declare my bitchiness to the world.

I have adopted zero (0) motherless children nor do I intend to. I am under no obligation to love children that are not mine just because I am a woman. Deal with it.

There's of course Arya, who is by all accounts a tomboy and has killed people without hesitation, and will continue to do so.

I still fail to understand how "killing people without hesitation" is a positive character trait. In today's world we'd call a person who does that a killer.

However it is still good that GRRM let's his female characters have flaws, even fatal or unadmirable ones. It's too many authors (particularly male ones) who put female characters on a pedestral. Tolkien is a bit of an offender here, even Lobelia Sackville-Baggings got her redemption.

My favourite (stereotypically) "though" character is probably Brienne. She has had a hard life, but still tries to do good in her own way.

I still fail to understand how "killing people without hesitation" is a positive character trait. In today's world we'd call a person who does that a killer.

However it is still good that GRRM let's his female characters have flaws, even fatal or unadmirable ones. It's too many authors (particularly male ones) who put female characters on a pedestral. Tolkien is a bit of an offender here, even Lobelia Sackville-Baggings got her redemption.

My favourite (stereotypically) "though" character is probably Brienne. She has had a hard life, but still tries to do good in her own way.

I think the "kill without hesitation" is a positive in the sense of when killing someone is necessary she won't hesitate to do it. One thing that's annoying about some authors is that they make their protagonist (whether male or female) so perfect when it's beneath them to kill someone even if its necessary. They want to make their protagonist so perfect that they always have to "find a better way" even if the supposed better way is completely unrealistic or doesn't make sense. So I'm the context of telling a story I like Arya because because of the "kill without hesitation" trait. Now I'll admit idk how far she's going to go with this with FM. It may go overboard

Archived